Is it possible to camp and walk down the coast without staying at hotels?

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Going a little off-topic:
Some friends of mine just returned from an impromptu cycling trip through northern haiti.
They reported that AT NO TIME did they feel the slightest threat or that they were in danger, rather feeling that they were far safer over there than here in the DR.
Now, im not recommending that our young friend change his itinerary to the other side of the island! But i think it good to just accept that maybe Haiti isnt quite the hotbed of cuthroat desperadoes it is made out to be and in fact, from my own trips over there, i have found the people to be extremely kind-natured and eager to help.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I THINK I said ... "with some planning."?

Depending on where you are hiking... you will meet people and they will say ... "please camp at our place... share with us and we with you.... coffee?" A short conversation will net you many invites to stay within personal property... and enjoy everything that they have to offer. Outside of the tourist areas is a whole different culture.

Most here on DR1 have NO concept of being out of their own comfort zone.

Much better that YOU have the coffee for all. lol.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Most here on DR1 have NO concept of being out of their own comfort zone.

That is an interesting observation from someone who lives securely inside walls, lacking only a surrounding moat filled with crocodiles, keeps a pistol and other weapons always at hand, doesn't let anyone through the gate without proper clearance

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
That is an interesting observation from someone who lives securely inside walls, lacking only a surrounding moat filled with crocodiles, keeps a pistol and other weapons always at hand, doesn't let anyone through the gate without proper clearance

I hiked the Amazon when I was 15. I ride in areas that you have never been or will ever know. I too have sailed into many places but I got off my boat and explored.

I'm still leave my home base and get out and do things. WAY outside of Sosua and never have had an interest in Pedro Clisante tourist sex life.

I get out and see the OTHER Dominican Republic OUTSIDE of YOUR comfort zone ....... of 4 blocks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I hiked the Amazon when I was 15. I ride in areas that you have never been or will ever know. I too have sailed into many places but I got off my boat and explored.

I'm still leave my home base and get out and do things. WAY outside of Sosua and never have had an interest in Pedro Clisante tourist sex life.

I get out and see the OTHER Dominican Republic OUTSIDE of YOUR comfort zone ....... of 4 blocks.

I'm impressed. I have to admit that I never suspected you hiked the Amazon solo when you were only 15.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'm impressed. I have to admit that I never suspected you hiked the Amazon solo when you were only 15.

I was in a group of 8 to 10 others on 4 different trips. Read the books by the Villas-B?as brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I met with them on two of my trips and went beyond the area that they knew then and encountered "new" tribes. The Xingu area was very unknown in the 1960's. Dangerous...... What an adventure it was.

Adventures can still be had here in the D.R. Ya just got to get off your butt and find them.

So Ken, your walled security with lots of armed guards and your personal apt. security system is working for you? To bad that you had been broken into androbbed before all that was done. Ken.... let's stop this.

Let's talk about someone having an adventure.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Ken.. that describes MOST of Las Terrenas. Seems like a sensible way to live there. It ios sorta like Dodge City in the 1900s

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I will be in the country for 3 months and want to include the north coast in my travels. I am adventurist and naturalist and I would like to walk and camp amongst the trees and palms as I move my way down the coast. I have chosen to carry an extra small load in a regular sized backpack (mochila). What must I do to follow the rules as well as not encounter problems with robbers while camping on the north coast?

This sounds kind of dangerous to me. With crime and how things are these days this is not something I would recommend or something I'd let a friend or family member do.

Anyway, I see you've been getting great tips from members with camping experience so good luck with whatever you decide to do!