Is men and boys swimming with full clothes on Dominican thing?

Apr 13, 2011
It is referred to as bathing, and some folks take that literally.
:) True. But is it good to literally bath in chlorinated water? (I do not know) I always shower after being in the pool.
Many pools have a shower spout somewhere to rinse off, wouldn't it make sense to bathe the kids there as opposed to in the pool...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's keep this 100% Dominican related.

It's a class issue in most cases. Look at photos of Dominicans swimming in rios.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I like to use those water jets at the splash/water park as a bidet.....................
just kidding

Feb 7, 2007
During hot season (June-September), if I happen to visit a resort I put on a white T-shirt when in the pool, especially after 11 am and before 4 pm. I try to stay away from the poll between 12pm -2.30 pm during hot months when the sun is burning.
Of course my Tshirt is not the street clothing or a shirt I happen to wear in the resort walking around. It's a shirt I bring in for the specific purpose of wearing it while in the pool.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
During hot season (June-September), if I happen to visit a resort I put on a white T-shirt when in the pool, especially after 11 am and before 4 pm. I try to stay away from the poll between 12pm -2.30 pm during hot months when the sun is burning.
Of course my Tshirt is not the street clothing or a shirt I happen to wear in the resort walking around. It's a shirt I bring in for the specific purpose of wearing it while in the pool.

The hotel doesn't seems to believe the story and doesn't care. And they want you to wear a clothing specific to swimming. Since I don't get sun burned easily I don't need one but my son wears a wet suit and from seeing my wife skins getting roasted over the weekend, I am going to suggest buying a wet suit for her too.

Feb 7, 2007
Well... I don't know which hotel it is ... but if it is an AI, I would just tell the security ... to p|ss off. What are they going to do? There is a) no law or city ordinance in the DR prohibiting wearing T-shirts in the pool; 2) I have not signed at check in any rules or regulations prohibiting wearing T-shirts in the pool; 3) I am sure there is no sign by the pool saying it is prohibited to wear T-shirts in the pool. I would politely tell them a, b and c, and tell them to please p|ss off and stop disturbing my peace with such stupidities.

And if they somehow still insisted (by force) for me to remove the T-shirt, I would scream religious freedom all over with the claim that my religion prohibits me from exposing my chest and back while in the pool, would make sure everything is recording with sound & picture, and then most likely file a private citizen lawsuit against the hotel for religious discrimination.

But I think they would most likely back off at step 1.

Do you reasonably expect that people bring wet suits on vacation? And why would I want to wear a diving wetsuit to just be in the pool? Sorry... I am not with you on this one.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Well... I don't know which hotel it is ... but if it is an AI, I would just tell the security ... to p|ss off. What are they going to do? There is a) no law or city ordinance in the DR prohibiting wearing T-shirts in the pool; 2) I have not signed at check in any rules or regulations prohibiting wearing T-shirts in the pool; 3) I am sure there is no sign by the pool saying it is prohibited to wear T-shirts in the pool. I would politely tell them a, b and c, and tell them to please p|ss off and stop disturbing my peace with such stupidities.

And if they somehow still insisted (by force) for me to remove the T-shirt, I would scream religious freedom all over with the claim that my religion prohibits me from exposing my chest and back while in the pool, would make sure everything is recording with sound & picture, and then most likely file a private citizen lawsuit against the hotel for religious discrimination.

Do you reasonably expect that people bring wet suits on vacation? And why would I want to wear a diving wetsuit to just be in the pool? Sorry... I am not with you on this one.

Wet-suit I meant by swimming top like so. Amazon.com: Speedo Kid's Begin to Swim UV Polywog Swimsuit: Sports & Outdoors . And I had no problem paying $25 for my son as it protects him from getting sunburn.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
street clothes in swimming pools

People swimming in street clothes in pools raises the cost of chemicals to counteract the dirt and grime you mention. Street clothes are also more prone to shedding threads and buttons that clog filters and drains. Swimming costumes are made from fabrics that don't do that. I think people who wear street clothes do it because, as someone else mentioned, they don't have the money for swimwear. You see it on beaches quite a bit also.

it is regular practice here in the DR for people to get into swimming pools with clothes on. the owners of the pools try to tell them that the street clothes attract and collect dust and grime, and make the pool dirty, unnecessarily. it falls on deaf ears.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

One more thing.

i don't know why would you want to be attention whore but if you must please try that in Be Live. It would had give me decent entertainment which they lack of on low season.

I don't make the rules but it sure bother me equal as much as hotel enforcing them. Like I said on other thread, I hate those that act like they own the place and can be rude and ignore other guests because they paid for their stay. But if your T-shirt and half cut jean wearing is your god's given right for you to bitch and moan in resort then so be it.

I'll Aman to that!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I highly doubt someone would tell me to take off my t-shirt off in a pool, it is common for people who burn to wear a t-shirt! I would be flipping with r_h about this!

If I burnt easily, my ass wouldn't be in the pool (especially when the sun is hard at work).

Personally, I may not burn, but I care about premature wrinkles, so I am careful and use sunscreen (and it works if I may add ;))

In the end, it doesn't bother me what other people wear. I find it a little tacky, but who cares, lol. I would forbid bathing suits if it was up to me :D

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Actually a recent trend in Men's swimwear are tops which are sometimes referred to as "rashguards" and they are very popular, come in all colors and a variety of styles and are relatively inexpensive although we probably won't see many of the locals in them at Dominican pools but then again the young Men do like their casual male fashion wear.

This is not the traditional "wet suit" top, although they are also referred to as such. Many are not much more than a nylon "T".

Kanu Surf Men's Solid Rashguard UPF 50+ Swim Tee at Amazon Men?s Clothing store: Rash Guard Shirts

Feb 7, 2007
Actually a recent trend in Men's swimwear are tops which are sometimes referred to as "rashguards" and they are very popular, come in all colors and a variety of styles and are relatively inexpensive although we probably won't see many of the locals in them at Dominican pools but then again the young Men do like their casual male fashion wear.

This is not the traditional "wet suit" top, although they are also referred to as such. Many are not much more than a nylon "T".

Kanu Surf Men's Solid Rashguard UPF 50+ Swim Tee at Amazon Men’s Clothing store: Rash Guard Shirts

I am sure Koreano would be offended with those as well

Feb 7, 2007
One more thing.

i don't know why would you want to be attention whore but if you must please try that in Be Live. It would had give me decent entertainment which they lack of on low season.

I don't make the rules but it sure bother me equal as much as hotel enforcing them. Like I said on other thread, I hate those that act like they own the place and can be rude and ignore other guests because they paid for their stay. But if your T-shirt and half cut jean wearing is your god's given right for you to bitch and moan in resort then so be it.

I'll Aman to that!

One more thing, I don't swim with jeans on. I use my swimwear. But I do like to have my T-shirt on during June-September season, because of extremely strong sun. You don't like it, your problem.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
They need to invent burquini for men $$$$$

burqini.jpg

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
They need to invent burquini for men $$$$$

burqini.jpg
Until someone actually wins an olympic medal in one of those things it can be considered a niche market. Can you imagine someone actually wearing one of those things on a Dominican public beach? She'd get more attention than a topless bather in a thong.

If I burnt easily, my ass wouldn't be in the pool (especially when the sun is hard at work).

Personally, I may not burn, but I care about premature wrinkles, so I am careful and use sunscreen (and it works if I may add ;))

In the end, it doesn't bother me what other people wear. I find it a little tacky, but who cares, lol. I would forbid bathing suits if it was up to me :D

I rarely go in the sun here, I think I may be whiter than when I arrived! I only wear a shirt now to the beach bc I am fat and I think I am doing a public service!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I'm quite sure that Sammy Sosa wears a T-shirt at the pool....and a conk-cap. Heck, maybe even a hoodie.

sammy-sosa-365.jpg

I think the thing that surprised me the most about the D.R. is the popularity of Sun parasols.

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
People swimming in street clothes in pools raises the cost of chemicals to counteract the dirt and grime you mention. Street clothes are also more prone to shedding threads and buttons that clog filters and drains. Swimming costumes are made from fabrics that don't do that. I think people who wear street clothes do it because, as someone else mentioned, they don't have the money for swimwear. You see it on beaches quite a bit also.

I think you are right.In certain public pools,they will ask that you wear a bathing cap if you have long hair.No,not in the DR.lol

Mike