Is nothing safe in the hands of a dominican??

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There's something in that. The people I know who are the most careless with things also tend to be very non-materialistic. On the other end of the scale, the very rich - and materialistic - can also be careless because replacing stuff is easier than repairing it and it's part of the fun to have a new car, gadget or whatever to show off.

i disagree with that. i am a non materialist. it is my religion. i do not own a stitch of jewelry, besides a 60 dollar watch. no rings, no chains, nothing. don't own a car, and do not want one. i buy a lot of my things at the flea market, and the compraventa. i can do differently, but for me it is just stuff. why spend tons of money to impress people?

that being said, i can assure you that if you lend me something of yours, you are getting it back the way i got it. it is called RESPECT.

and , please, do not tell me Dominicans are not materialistic. why does everyone strive to own a jeepeta? why are there so many owners in hock up to their eyeballs, and do not even have money left over for water, after they have paid the note? why are baseball players worshipped? not for their achievements, but moreso because they can ride around in Maseratis. why does everyone save up their money, and starve, just to buy expensive Jordan sneakers?

Dominicans not materialistic? go tell that to the Marines.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
i have no idea what it is, but i can assure you that things deteriorate, and fall into complete disrepair, far faster here than in a place like the USA. look at the men's bath room in La Sirena, POP. not one of the stalls has a toilet seat. every one broken. all of them. i bet if you go to other countries, people take care of the equipment designed for public use. yeah...i know. tell me that La Sirena built the toilets with cheap equipment. my cousin has had his current headphones for 14 years...not a problem. i bought the same pair, lent them to a guy here for a week, and they came back dead. they were brand new when i lent them to him. i had used them for 30 minutes. as a consequence, i will never lend anything again. i sold a pair of custom designed speakers to a guy who i thought would take good care of them, and they were blown within 3 months. i had had them for several years, without a hitch.

I paid 2500$ for a macbook pro 17inch in 2011 and the logic board was fried 3 times in the first year. I had to fly to Miami to get it fixed since that repair is like 800$, I was spending 300$ on each flight just to get the computer repaired. Once my warranty was over Apple refused to fix it anymore. I really feel the climate has something to do with electronics, or maybe the power inconsistencies.. I sold the macbook and just bought a badass PC since I can just replace out any part that gets fried easily.. so sad but part of living here at times.

P.S. : I wanna know what headphones those were that lasted 14 years, need to get a pair :) My bose inner ear ones died on me a couple months ago and I have been using a cheap pair of gogrooves temporarily, but it's not the same heh..

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
There are a lot of logical reasons why stuff in the DR does not last.

- Stuff you buy in DR are cheap knockoffs, not the real deal. Stores here sell stuff that is rejected in 1st world countries.
- Humidity!
- Power fluctuations. Show me a person that has both a voltage regulator and sine wave inverter and I will show you a person whose electrical stuff lasts longer.
- People are poor. Often stuff does not break but is stolen and the gringo is told "it broke and I threw it out."
- Of course lack of education comes into play, but that is because most gringos refuse to find a perfect Cibae?a who will care for your stuff and make it last a lifetime, just like their undying love!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
i disagree with that. i am a non materialist. it is my religion. i do not own a stitch of jewelry, besides a 60 dollar watch. no rings, no chains, nothing. don't own a car, and do not want one. i buy a lot of my things at the flea market, and the compraventa. i can do differently, but for me it is just stuff. why spend tons of money to impress people?

that being said, i can assure you that if you lend me something of yours, you are getting it back the way i got it. it is called RESPECT.

and , please, do not tell me Dominicans are not materialistic. why does everyone strive to own a jeepeta? why are there so many owners in hock up to their eyeballs, and do not even have money left over for water, after they have paid the note? why are baseball players worshipped? not for their achievements, but moreso because they can ride around in Maseratis. why does everyone save up their money, and starve, just to buy expensive Jordan sneakers?

Dominicans not materialistic? go tell that to the Marines.

Of course a lot of Dominicans are very materialistic, but it's something I've also noticed among those who are not. My mother-in-law is non-materialistic to the point of asceticism but is sometimes criticised by family members for not taking care of her personal belongings. My husband is not as bad as his mother (on both counts) but also has that tendency and is definitely not a materialistic person. I consider myself non-materialistic and I'm very careful with my things - so it can work both ways.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I paid 2500$ for a macbook pro 17inch in 2011 and the logic board was fried 3 times in the first year. I had to fly to Miami to get it fixed since that repair is like 800$, I was spending 300$ on each flight just to get the computer repaired. Once my warranty was over Apple refused to fix it anymore. I really feel the climate has something to do with electronics, or maybe the power inconsistencies.. I sold the macbook and just bought a badass PC since I can just replace out any part that gets fried easily.. so sad but part of living here at times.

P.S. : I wanna know what headphones those were that lasted 14 years, need to get a pair :) My bose inner ear ones died on me a couple months ago and I have been using a cheap pair of gogrooves temporarily, but it's not the same heh..

tell me what are your favorite music genres, whether you prefer in-ear, on-ear, or over ear, and how much you are prepared to spend, and i will make some recommendations.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I love my peeps, but I do agree that things just seem to deteriorate quicker in The DR. The thing that just irks the crap out of me is when people break something and just leave it there without even attempting to fix it. Right now in my house in The DR there's no inverter power as I got tired of buying batteries that don't last more than a year or two, lots of light bulbs are blown as I got tired of replacing them, the refrigerator has lost two of the divider shelves (broken) and frankly I don't even know where to get those so now it just looks like one big box with no way to put things in different shelves, pretty much every toilet has had to be repaired at one point or another, washing machine? Broken, gave them my tablet which I've had for a couple of years without any issue...not even a month later and the charger is already broken, etc, etc, etc...

I think one issue has to do that people get so excited at having something they normally wouldn't have that they just use it way too much leading to some of these things. Example the tablet. I used it, but sparingly...I bet this was being used almost 24x7 by the people I gave them to and every friend or relative they have, thus constantly having to recharge it thus leading to the charger ultimately breaking.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think a lot to do with this is how things are obtained. i work for my stuff and when i manage to scrap enough i care about the object. phone, watch, laptop, they are all daily use and i do not mind minor scratches and bumps but i do care not to damage them, leave them unattended or misuse them.

if something comes easy - you do not care. you have no idea about real value of things. and that's the problem here, i guess, with OP. phone no sirve? who cares? i will be give a new one. watch? the same. stop replacing objects and you will see change.

i grew up in a poor environment and had respect for materialistic things embedded in my brain. things cost money, if i break my bike i will have no bike, simple as that. does not mean i am a material girl. like gorgon i care little for jewelry (only had few pieces) or watches (i have two, both fairly cheap). not even for clothes, bags or shoes, i pride myself in buying cheap, on sales, in charity shops, very cheap.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

by the way, next time you buy something called Bose, and it turns out to be crap, don't cry. they made one good thing in their history; the 901.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are a lot of logical reasons why stuff in the DR does not last.

- Stuff you buy in DR are cheap knockoffs, not the real deal. Stores here sell stuff that is rejected in 1st world countries.
- Humidity!
- Power fluctuations. Show me a person that has both a voltage regulator and sine wave inverter and I will show you a person whose electrical stuff lasts longer.
- People are poor. Often stuff does not break but is stolen and the gringo is told "it broke and I threw it out."
- Of course lack of education comes into play, but that is because most gringos refuse to find a perfect Cibae?a who will care for your stuff and make it last a lifetime, just like their undying love!

thanks, Luperon. i shall be off to the Cibao after coffee, to initiate the hunt for the perfect Dominicana. any recommendations vis a vis towns? Moca? La Vega, perhaps?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
i think a lot to do with this is how things are obtained. i work for my stuff and when i manage to scrap enough i care about the object. phone, watch, laptop, they are all daily use and i do not mind minor scratches and bumps but i do care not to damage them, leave them unattended or misuse them.

if something comes easy - you do not care. you have no idea about real value of things. and that's the problem here, i guess, with OP. phone no sirve? who cares? i will be give a new one. watch? the same. stop replacing objects and you will see change.

i grew up in a poor environment and had respect for materialistic things embedded in my brain. things cost money, if i break my bike i will have no bike, simple as that. does not mean i am a material girl. like gorgon i care little for jewelry (only had few pieces) or watches (i have two, both fairly cheap). not even for clothes, bags or shoes, i pride myself in buying cheap, on sales, in charity shops, very cheap.
I agree - this applies to the rich and pampered, and to the poor who have stuff given to them. It's a basic tenet of community development work that a handout is not valued as much as something that the 'beneficiaries' have worked to obtain themselves.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Some people are worse than others. I lent a brand new Stanley claw hammer to a Haitian construction worker so he could pull out a nail. Within five minutes he returned with the shaft broken in two at the middle.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

that is most of the truth, i a nutshell. even when you work for something here, work is not the same as working in a country such as the USA, Canada, or Europe. people here have never seen ice, or snow. they do not know what it is when the temperature is so cold that you cannot get the key into the lock of your car. i cracked up laughing last week when i saw this guy walk out of a panaderia, and hit the remote starter button on his ancient Mitsubishi Lancer. he thinks it is to impress people. he does not know that he uses it to say "look at me", while people from cold countries use it to start their cars and have them warm up before they attempt to get in.

the average individual here believes that they grow money on trees in first world countries. so, some dimwit gringo gives them a blackberry today, and they break it tomorrow, because another gringo will come along and buy them a Galaxy. if they had to work for stuff, they would place more value on it.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
Some people are worse than others. I lent a brand new Stanley claw hammer to a Haitian construction worker so he could pull out a nail. Within five minutes he returned with the shaft broken in two at the middle.

sorry but this made me laugh. How do you break a hammer jajajajajaj

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
Yes even in the USA is a problem. If you work for it people tend to take care of things better. Its just human nature. Its been proven many times over the years. I think everyone is guilty of it at times in there life. You value what you worked hard for. I do not lend anything of value to anyone unless I know their history. If they get angry i do not care. Put down a deposit and i will lend it. No one likes having there stuff broken. And yes it is a problem here I agree. Just do not lend things out.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
The issue isn't that we never have problems like this or other problems with Dominicans, the issue is stupid comments that some people make, insisting that all Dominicans behave in a certain way and that nobody from any other place in the world would ever behave the same way. There are idiots all over that show no care for the things that are not theirs, especially if they know you will just buy a new one and the loss doesn't mean anything to them. And there are many Dominicans that do show proper care for items whether it be theirs or someone else's.

Let me rephrase my post for the benefit of Dominicans.

My house in the D.R. of nearly 15 years old has two bathrooms.

(1) The one the Dominicans use has had 6 things, broken, lost or abused.
(2) The one they do not use has had no problems, same items and same quality, built by the same contractor, at the same time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My various homes in various locations in the States of nearly 50 years (Counting only my adult life) has had less damage in the entire house caused by guests then the damage/abuse by Dominicans of just my guest bath room in the D.R.

I must be very blessed and lucky in the U.S.
(But then, I have never had a guest Dominican in my U.S. homes)

Is that better cjp2010?

sorry but this made me laugh. How do you break a hammer jajajajajaj

He probably used a pipe on the handle for leverage.

"R"

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I feel OP's pain. My last GF was medical doctor but had typical dominican habits. She managed to break the power on/off button on her new mini laptop after a month's use. I think she pushed it in too hard. Thanks god i didn't pay for the laptop. Then she would open up expensive cheese and not put the cheese in zip lock bag or if it's already inside the ziplock bag, she just wouldn't bother closing it. the cheese would dry out. open up sugar jar and not close it tight. ants would get in. She will not bother charging her phone at night, just let it discharge out and then next day she is in trouble. TV is left turned on and she is in deep sleep. this would happen everyday and we had many fights over it. Water is not coming, so she will just let the water faucet open and if water comes, we have a disaster on the floor when we come home. So one day I grabbed her and asked her, why can't you just close the zip lock bag after you eat the cheese? she says 'to sabes, los dominicanos son vagos". thats it.
i fixed her old laptop and upgraded it. took me 2 days to open up the whole laptop and change everything inside, even solder the power input jack on motherboard. Then all the software and all. everything worked fine for few days in my hands. Then I hand her the laptop and the very next day its burnt. Totally dead motherboard. No es mi culpa, no era yo... blah blah. it was a pure pain in the arse to be with her. She would just boil my blood with her stupidity. I figured if a dominican girl who is a medical doctor, studied in spain and acts like this, then I really have no luck with a more simpler girl.
I was wrong. My new GF is from san jose de las matas but she grew up in santiago. She is no way as rich as my previous GF and certainly has not traveled outside of DR. i am surprised to see she is really intelligent. she learnt the android system in just a few hours and now does things with it which even surprises me. She does exactly what i tell her to do without screw ups. if she has to take metro bus of 3pm, she makes sure she gets to metro at 2;30pm to catch 3pm bus. this simple task has been impossible with other girls. they could never reach metro bus station 3pm or before. always get there late for one excuse or another and take a much later bus.
this girl knows how to work everything just right and takes care of all electrical/electronic items with care. She has not destroyed or even scratched the samsung galaxy s2 phone that I have given her months ago. She does not spend money on crap and actually tells me she needs no money as she has money left over from last week. wow, when was the last time you heard a dominican girl say that?
So my friend, there is hope and I am with DV8, get rid of her and get a newer. smarter model. there are still gems to be found everywhere, even in dirt.
AZB

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Let me rephrase my post for the benefit of Dominicans.

My house in the D.R. of nearly 15 years old has two bathrooms.

(1) The one the Dominicans use has had 6 things, broken, lost or abused.
(2) The one they do not use has had no problems, same items and same quality, built by the same contractor, at the same time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My various homes in various locations in the States of nearly 50 years (Counting only my adult life) has had less damage in the entire house caused by guests then the damage/abuse by Dominicans of just my guest bath room in the D.R.

I must be very blessed and lucky in the U.S.
(But then, I have never had a guest Dominican in my U.S. homes)

Is that better cjp2010?

He probably used a pipe on the handle for leverage.

"R"

So in your opinion all Dominicans fit this description of the ones breaking things in your house? Because the ones in my house aren't breaking my stuff. That is the point. Maybe some people have just come to believe that this is how all Dominicans are and they just have to accept and tolerate and let their stuff be broken whereas I will not accept and tolerate it and would simply find better people to associate with same as I would do anywhere else where people were breaking my stuff. Yes, a Dominican broke something of mine once. That Dominican never got to touch anything else I own again. Same happened to me several times when I lived in the States and those Americans don't get to touch anything else I own ever again. Simple solution and doesn't mean that an entire class of people is bad.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013

Exactly.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I agree - this applies to the rich and pampered, and to the poor who have stuff given to them. It's a basic tenet of community development work that a handout is not valued as much as something that the 'beneficiaries' have worked to obtain themselves.

yes, it applies for both. i often say there is nothing as good in life as being on your own, like a homeless dog, at least for some time. be in a situation wren if you get a nice new top you have no money for food for few days. be in a situation when you have to carefully make your choices and really work hard for what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.