Is that extra insurance mandatory for renting a car in the DR?

CNSIERRA

Apr 11, 2016
It is not mandatory for you to pay extra Insurance. It is your choice because car rentals already have full coverage on their rental cars and they just try always to make extra money with the clients. Next time as the attendant to show you what type of insurance they have. Think about it, why would need car rentals company not have full insurance when they giving you the keys to 10 to 40K Dollars car. What would happen if the car gets stolen, are they going to make pay for it when you can just go to the police, filed a report and then flee the country if they try to make you pay for it? It wouldn't make any sense.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Rental cars are insured by the rental company and the insurance you are being offered is intended to cover the large deductible carried by the rental company in the event that the vehicle is written off. The insurance carried by the rental company doesn't cover the renter if they happen to drive the car through a parade of people - you need your own insurance for that.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
If you DECLINE CDW-TP insurance because your credit card covers it, then the TPL or Third Party Liability is MANDATORY by the rental company in the DR. It states it very clearly when you make your reservation with Alamo where you select the various insurance. It is not mandatory if you purchase the CDW. Hope this helps.

Sep 4, 2012
If you DECLINE CDW-TP insurance because your credit card covers it, then the TPL or Third Party Liability is MANDATORY by the rental company in the DR. It states it very clearly when you make your reservation with Alamo where you select the various insurance. It is not mandatory if you purchase the CDW. Hope this helps.
That is Alamo policy, it doesn't pertain to the rest of the companies. See, Alamo call it "third" party insurance, no such thing other than a way to force you to pay yet another tariff.

Liability insurance must be provided by the rental company, otherwise, the vehicle itself would be out of law.

Anything beyond this base liability insurance is an add on to cover for further damages caused to said vehicle. In the absence of it (CDW-TLI), renters are therefore responsible for any recoupment to the rental company.

This third or fourth or whatever insurance is a way for the company's to scare you off, make extra on the side and have you pay for a liability insurance which must be provided to the vehicle itself to keep it lawful on the streets.

Rental companies however, reserve the rights to have their own policies.

Customers have the rights to opt in or seek else where.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Been renting for seven winters in the DR. It's my understanding that the extra insurance covers damage you do to other vehicles in the DR. I rent from Budget. My card covers CDW, and full vehicle replacement up to a maximum of $65,000 Canadian. I don't get the $4 a day glass, tire coverage because that's included by my card in the $65,000. Basically your a walking wallet if you hit another vehicle owned or driven by a Dominican. From my perspective, the $9.00 a day cost to cover repair or replacement of the vehicle you hit and the associated hospital costs for driver and occupants is well worth the cost, given the insane way people drive in the DR and the many close calls I've had driving in the DR.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Last time in the country, February 2016, I rented a car from Alamo and was told I had to get the extra car insurance. I never in the past was made to do so. I have lived there and visited there many times in the past 15 years. My arrival was late at night and I did not want to fight with the attendant. He pretty much said take it or leave it, the extra insurance is mandatory. Can anyone enlighten me on this, the legality? Not whether or not I should take it. I do understand the perils of driving in the DR. I use my AMEX card and this covers me somewhat I understand.

I'm not sure about Alamo, but I know that some car rental companies will not rent out some specific models w/o you paying for their rental car insurance.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you do not take the rental car company insurance(and do not have a credit card that covers the rental), you are responsible for up to the full value of the car for any damage to the car. They will max-out your credit card for losses before their own insurance policy kicks in.

The same applies to liability damage that you cause to other persons or property. While they are required to carry liability coverage, it's my understanding that this is secondary and your card will be charged and maxed-out before their coverge kicks in.

Policies differ. Make sure you read the fine print.