Is this the beginning of the Haitian tourism threat to the DR?

Is this the beginning of a major competitor for the Dominican tourism industry?

• Total voters

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Varadero is indeed impressive, but it is rather unique, asnd somewhat expensive and confining. Cuba has many more really scenic places that will eventually be developed.

i was just making the point that money is being spent in Cuba in respect to serious resort development. the Issa Brothers from Jamaica had a hotel there since the mid 90s.

Aug 6, 2006
Everyone wants rich tourists who just want to stay put and stare at the surf for $200-$300 a day. The problem for the host country is that such people are in short supply and the places that cater to them are many and varied. Cuba charges American rates for everything that these people require.

Cuba has great potential for many resorts for the more adventurous and less affluent, but the Cuban government has the final say in where money is invested. Eventually, I think Cuba will be less restrictive and less risky a place to invest. Not that I would invest in any such places, not in the DR or even Florida, because I would not want to take the risk.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
lI am disappointed that people would blame the environmental degradation in the RD on tourism. Is it tourists who throw garbage everywhere ? Is it tourists that could care less about proper sewage treatment as long as they get theirs ? Is it tourists who over fish ?

Dominicans always blame someone else and it appears that the low income segment of our expat population has jumped on board.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
lI am disappointed that people would blame the environmental degradation in the RD on tourism. Is it tourists who throw garbage everywhere ? Is it tourists that could care less about proper sewage treatment as long as they get theirs ? Is it tourists who over fish ?

Dominicans always blame someone else and it appears that the low income segment of our expat population has jumped on board.

who blames the environmental degradation on tourism?

Feb 7, 2007
Everyone wants rich tourists who just want to stay put and stare at the surf for $200-$300 a day. The problem for the host country is that such people are in short supply and the places that cater to them are many and varied. Cuba charges American rates for everything that these people require.

Cuba has great potential for many resorts for the more adventurous and less affluent, but the Cuban government has the final say in where money is invested. Eventually, I think Cuba will be less restrictive and less risky a place to invest. Not that I would invest in any such places, not in the DR or even Florida, because I would not want to take the risk.

I know one of the directors of H10 hotel group. He said that the resorts in Cuba are government owned, Spanish-managed. Basically Iberostar, Melia, Riu, etc. tell the Cuban government - we want the hotel to look like this and this, and the government builds it to their specifications. The management company has the general director, F&B & sales/marketing post, the Cuban government has human resources, and every other executive. But the general operation is managed by the Spanish company. The Spanish resort company gets a percentage of revenue for management and marketing expenses (usually 5-7% of revenue generated or 15-20% of profits, whichever is higher, plus incentive and marketing fees which can account to additional 2-3% of revenue), and the rest of money goes to the Cuban government.

See Hotel Management Contracts: Historical Trends. - Thursday, 7th March 2013 at 4Hoteliers

This whole setup is similar to former Melia Santo Domingo - then Magna 360 - now Sheraton SD. Property owned by local company, operated by the joint local-international mgmt group.

Last edited:

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
The great resorts are already there and Canadians have been enjoying them for many years now. Also, Havana is a haven for urban tourists, without the atrocious traffic of Santo Domingo, and full of authentic Cuban culture (as opposed to the folkloric crap and American pap served at DR AIs). Haiti will bloom because it is untapped for tourism, and the AIs like to rape and run.