Isla Saona Day Trip

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
While these rates are offered to Gringos, I think they are entirely fair for all. I've been on a few trips with Seavis and did not feel treated merely as a turista. $70 for a day, to spots off the beaten path, in a clean and secure boat, with an insured company, offering a fresh and diverse meal cooked in front of you, and fun too! http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/prices.htm

Since my last post on the subject, I've been on another trip with Seavis to Saona, pictured at http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2532314330064234328ZlynVs

There are a bunch of small operators offering trips to the island from the Bayahibe beach. Sorry I don't know their prices.

Kaki

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
With who is the BEST and CHEAPEST excursion to Isla Saona???

Is it best to just show up to the boats and negotiate????? :D

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's what we've always done - there's always more supply than demand, but we always go with the smaller boats, not the tourist catamarans. Expect to pay about RD$5000 and ask to be taken to Mano Juan, the small town, not just the beaches.

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
I had found Kaki's posts and pics about Seavis tours over on TA, when planning our upcoming trip. It was because of her great reviews that I booked a couple of Seavis tours.
My correspondence with Seavis concerning our bookings has been great! Alexander, helped me plan our stay in Bahahibe and booked our rooms for us. I have absolutely no desire to stay in an AI, and it's almost impossible to find info on independant hotels/rooms in Bayahibe. Alexander offered to book us rooms at a private home or at a little motel. He even helped me figure out what to do with our luggage after check-out.
As far as the Seavis customer service, I am extremely impressed! I'll post reviews of our tours in a few weeks.

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
That's what we've always done - there's always more supply than demand, but we always go with the smaller boats, not the tourist catamarans. Expect to pay about RD$5000 and ask to be taken to Mano Juan, the small town, not just the beaches.

$5000 RD????? That is more that $100 USD!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Around six people can fit on the boats, so it depends on the size of your group. If there are only a couple of people, you can always team up with other visitors and approach the boat-owners as a group.

There is a boat-owners' union in the parking area where they issue receipts. I got the impression that they have set prices for the different options along the route - like the mangroves and the piscina natural - and the price is higher if you ask to be taken all the way to Mano Juan. Otherwise they will just take you to Catuano beach, which is fine if that's what you're after, but there's more to see and do (relatively speaking) in the little town of Mano Juan and the beach there is gorgeous and almost completely deserted.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
Ensure that there are enough life jackets for all in the boat, and that the captain is qualified to negotiate the rougher waters along the south coast of the island. I wouldn't get into just any boat along the Bayahibe Beach in the pursuit of saving money, but I also wouldn't pay top dollar thinking that I'm getting the best outing.

Chirimoya, if you can suggest an individual or company that can get me to Mano Juan (or Canto de la Playa, even better!) for $100 for a boatload, I'd love to know more. The more I know about the area, the less likely I am to just pick up a ride from the beach and to look for one who has the ability to get me there and back safely.

Kaki

Cocolocomuc

Sep 8, 2008
not trying to cause any drama..but is it true that just recently a tour boat to Saona got overturned and 3 tourists died? Read about it in a german travel forum but did not find anything on the other DR sites.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Three local women died, the tourists - who were wearing lifejackets - were rescued. From Tuesday's DR1 News:

Where were the life jackets?
None of the three women who died when the small boat they were traveling in from Isla Saona to Bayahibe capsized were wearing life jackets, as reported in Diario Libre. Tourists are obliged to wear the life jackets when traveling on these excursions. But why the locals were not wearing the life jackets has not been explained.
The other seven people on the boat were rescued by the Navy. The boat captain survived along with the Russian and Italian tourists, who were wearing the lifejackets.
The victims, who were named as Antonia Perez de Aza, Luisa Esther Vicioso and Luisa Milagros Ortiz, worked on the beach making braids, giving massages and selling trinkets to tourists, as reported in Diario Libre
The director of the Seismological Institute Eugenio Polanco said that the accident may not have been related to Sunday's earthquake, but said this would be determined once the precise time is confirmed. The earthquake occurred at 4:17pm.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ensure that there are enough life jackets for all in the boat, and that the captain is qualified to negotiate the rougher waters along the south coast of the island. I wouldn't get into just any boat along the Bayahibe Beach in the pursuit of saving money, but I also wouldn't pay top dollar thinking that I'm getting the best outing.

Chirimoya, if you can suggest an individual or company that can get me to Mano Juan (or Canto de la Playa, even better!) for $100 for a boatload, I'd love to know more. The more I know about the area, the less likely I am to just pick up a ride from the beach and to look for one who has the ability to get me there and back safely.

Kaki
I can't recommend anyone in particular, as it seems to work on a rota organised by the union. We do know a local fisherman who lives in the small blue house right by the small beach that the boats leave from. He is known as "Musyeh" and if you get chatting to him he might be able to help you get a better deal with one of his primos - but as you say - check the boat first for general seaworthiness, padded seats and lifejackets. :)