Jamaica vs. DR

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
I won't prolong this anymore, but just to be clear, I LOVE DR - that is why I've been there 5 times in less than 2 years, and where I will likely return. I only went to Jamaica for the first time last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed myself, but maybe that's just me. So, this was not intended to be a slam DR by any stretch.

sherryva

May 1, 2003
I normally travel to Jamaica on the regular. (about 15 times in the past 6 years) and I love it there. I just went to the Dominican for the first time ever and just returned yesterday (04/30/03) We got a great deal and decided to go for it.
We stayed in Juan Dolio. The men in both Jamaica and Juan Dolio are friendly. I do like the reggae and laid back feeling of Jamaica (I have stayed in Montego Bay, Negril and Ocho Rios) but also enjoyed the DR very much. Much more than I thought I would. I had read this message board as well as a few others I found on the net and the 'warnings' to people traveling to the Domincan made me wonder what type of place I was going to afterall. Everything turned out very well though. I didn't really run into any sankies because we stayed on the resort or went into San Pedro to clubs a couple of nights and it is my understanding they normally hang out in the tourist areas. We were approached by many men in both Jamaica and DR. I have to say that the men in DR took 'no thank you' much better than the men in Jamaica. Plus the approach was better and not as aggressive as some of the Jamaicans I have encountered throughout the years. Don't get me wrong, I am not by any means downing Jamaican men. I like ALL men no matter where they are from :)

leopardlady

Apr 30, 2003
Jamaica vs. D.R.

I've been to both Jamaica and the D.R. (Jamaica twice) and they are my two favorite places to visit in the Caribbean. I would go back there any day. :D

I was lucky enough to have a positive experience at both countries and we had such a good time we still talk about our vacations we had at both countries. Hey - every place has it's good and bad points. No country is 100% free of any negatives. I guess it all depends where you go or where you stay at..., who knows. Then again, reggae and marengue are my two favorite kinds of music... (shut up, leopardlady)

I wasn't robbed at either country and did venture outside the hotel resort at both Jamaica & the D.R. As a matter of fact, we made friends that we still keep in touch with in Jamaica.

Ok, I am gonna stop now before someone throws something at me... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Sunshyne said:
AZB - . But your insight is certainly profound and your patriotism is sweet...oops, I forgot, you're not actually Dominican, right?
Sunshyne
For the record I happen to know Azb and Jazzcom personally and Azb though not of Dominican blood could pass for Dominican by the way he acts and by his knowledge,I also happen to be Canadian but after living here 18 years I have succesfully convinced many Dominicans that my mother was Dominican and my father Canadian,what is your smugness of not being Dominican about?Do you believe that one cannot understand or live the culture without being born of it ?In that case there are no true Americans or Canadians right?BTW been to Jamaica several times liked it would go back for short visit but wouldent dream of comparing the infrastructures to the D.R.
J.H.:confused: