Jarabacoa waterfalls...

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Hello,

I will be in Jarabacoa next week with my family. Can you tell me any information on which waterfall would be best to see if you had to choose between Baiguate or Jimenoa, or should we just see both? Also which one would be the best for older people that would be an easier walk?

Thinking I want to do both, one by jeep with my mom, and another by horseback...

Any input would be appreciated!

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Hi..so happened that I went to both waterfalls on my last trip to DR a few weeks ago....Baiguate is much easier..from the parking area...there is a flat path leading to a water pumping station/dam overlooking the falls and if you want to go down to the falls there is short stairway...not too difficult....now Jimenoa (i think I went to #2) is a a lot more strenuous and my friends (albeit couch potatoes) were sucking wind on the hike back up. Also, if it starts to rain, the trail could become pretty slick...so I'm not sure if I recommend it for an older person...if you do...just plan to take it nice and slowwwwwww. Hope this helps. BTW...Jimenoa is more "spectacular" of the two....

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
Thank you!

Jimenoa is also the one with the swinging bridges/walkways right?

What can you tell me between Jimenoa 1 & 2?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
one of them goes down a long steep path , cant remember which is which - its a pretty long way - i had to push my partner most of the way back up,which wasnt on my to do list :)

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
I only went to one set of the Jimenoa falls...I think it was #2..the entrance was on the left just off the highway out of Jaraboacoa on the way to Constanza...there is no swinging bridge there...but there are 3 sets of falls for Jimenoa...(not sure if #1 or #3 has the bridge...but you can look up on tripadvisor.com)...

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
one of them goes down a long steep path , cant remember which is which - its a pretty long way - i had to push my partner most of the way back up,which wasnt on my to do list :)

Exactly...that is the one I went down....I told my buddy who is almost 300 pounds if he couldn't make it out on his own....I couldn't carry him out.....and that I would mark him with an 8-digit grid and call in the MEDVAC...LOL....luckily he made it out...but it took a loooooong time....:)

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Hi..so happened that I went to both waterfalls on my last trip to DR a few weeks ago....Baiguate is much easier..from the parking area...there is a flat path leading to a water pumping station/dam overlooking the falls and if you want to go down to the falls there is short stairway...not too difficult....now Jimenoa (i think I went to #2) is a a lot more strenuous and my friends (albeit couch potatoes) were sucking wind on the hike back up. Also, if it starts to rain, the trail could become pretty slick...so I'm not sure if I recommend it for an older person...if you do...just plan to take it nice and slowwwwwww. Hope this helps. BTW...Jimenoa is more "spectacular" of the two....

Sounds like Salto Baiguate to me..

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I didn't think the one by the pumping station/electric plant was worth going to. Most of the water is diverted for use by the plant and does not come over the falls.

I went to see it, but would never go again. As it was the day I was there I would rate it 2 or 3 on a scale of 10.

The walk to the falls on the shaky bridges was more interesting than the falls.

Tracy

Jan 23, 2004
So if I have done Salta Limon, I may not like them?

Just from the pictures I have seen, I like the shaky bridge views of the river and large rocks.

I do know that there is a small one just behind where I will be staying, that would make a nice morning walk.

I just want to show my family parts of the DR they have never seen before. They have only been to Punta Cana.

JrHartley...you are too funny!

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
One last editorial note....the Jimenoa Falls had a lot a trash at the bottom..I had a friend with me who works for the National Park Service here in the states and she kept saying they should hire her to "manage" the place...but if you can ignore that the falls and water were cool for DR...it's not Niagra or Angel Falls..lol.... but since I love outdoor exercise....hiking down and up provided my workout for the day :)

Oh Baiguate was free enter...was charged 100 DOP a head to enter Jimenoa...

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Salto Jimenoa 1 - Prettiest and highest of them all but a strenuous up and also slippery after it has rained - costs 100P (includes bottle of water) (not possible to access with donkey or jeep)
Salto Jimenao 2- One with the bridges - easy walk and ok waterfall (Salto Limon is nicer) - 50 pesos
Salto Baquete - Easy walk through a small canyon (10 minutes from the entrance) ok waterfall - No fee.. Salto Baquete is kinda midway Salto Jimenoa 1 so you could combine those..

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Salto Jimenoa 1 - Prettiest and highest of them all but a strenuous up and also slippery after it has rained - costs 100P (includes bottle of water) (not possible to access with donkey or jeep)
Salto Jimenao 2- One with the bridges - easy walk and ok waterfall (Salto Limon is nicer) - 50 pesos
Salto Baquete - Easy walk through a small canyon (10 minutes from the entrance) ok waterfall - No fee.. Salto Baquete is kinda midway Salto Jimenoa 1 so you could combine those..

Thanx for straightening out the numbering on the falls....#1 is what I have been talking about...thought it was #2....:)

May 29, 2006
I definitely want to check it out as a place to settle down. It's a favorite area for Dominican MLB players to build estates.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Jimenoa #1 is not for the average tourist, a very physical trek.

Jimenoa #2 is what many think of when waterfalls in Jarabacoa is discussed. Nice place, and it's on our tours.

Baiguate is, well, kinda "meh." It's OK and maybe worth a visit after going to #2.

If you can only do one of the falls, do Salto Jimenoa #2...

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
Jimenoa #1 is not for the average tourist, a very physical trek.

Jimenoa #2 is what many think of when waterfalls in Jarabacoa is discussed. Nice place, and it's on our tours.

Baiguate is, well, kinda "meh." It's OK and maybe worth a visit after going to #2.

If you can only do one of the falls, do Salto Jimenoa #2...

I believe Jimenoa #1 is on the road to Constanza, very long hike down into the watering hole.
20130102_salto_0030_HDR.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And they charge for this place now?. Progress comes at a cost I see, last time I visited the falls the road to Constanza was still un-paved with no guard rails.