Jenny Polanco: Good .... Bad Hair

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
didn't read the whole thread but here is my take.
bad hair is not an issue if you have good (straight hair). In other words, put yourselves in the shoes of people who have bad hair. Its like a fit woman poking at fat women and saying 'whats so bad about being fat?" wait till you become fat and then you will understand. I used to say the same about my bald friends who were trying expensive creams and liquids to help grow their hair. I used to say, what is the big deal about being bald? then years later, I lost my hair. then I understood.
Its not just a dominican thing, in atlanta, majority of black women wear wigs to look like they have straight (indian) hair.
the same holds true when foreigners make fun of dominican women walking with umbrellas in a sunny day. they seem to think Dominicas don't want to darken their skin from the sun. maybe true for some but the vast majority of people don't worship sun like the white tourists do who see little sunshine in their native country (england, canada, northern europe etc). the truth is dominicans see the sun as nuisance, and don't want to sweat or be uncomfortable. these locals are not here for vacation and certainly they don't need any suntan. I am also like them now. I hate sun and stay away from it. I have a natural tan so there is no need for me to cook myself and get skin cancer. I use a/c 24/7 in my car, no matter what season or temperature outside. I stay in shade when i am at the beach. I can't stand the hot sun. I am not on vacation here.
AZB

Aug 6, 2006
I have seen some really nice looking afro, jerrycurl, and not entirely bone straight hairdos, as well as some that looked like fright wigs. I know from experience that no matter what a woman with "bad" hair does, she will have to put forth a goodly effort to make it look really nice, generally more than a woman with "good" hair will have to do. Then, at least in the US and I assume in the DR as well, there is the problem that a non-processed hairstyle will cause when looking for a job. Some White guys don't want to be accused of hiring a militant woman like Angela Davis and not recognizing the attitude some people think that the hair style indicates. If you work for "Afro Books and Things", or teach Black Studies in College or maybe even teach in the public schools, you can "get away" with a "natural" hair look. If you work in a fancy mall dept. store or work in sales where most of the clientele in White, then the hair will be a concern.

The general attitude I get from Dominican women to the question, "why do you wear your hair that way?" is about the same as if I had asked,"Why do you take a bath every day?" The idea of not getting the hair done never comes up.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
afro is nice to look at. but if i had hair like that i'd shave it all off and wear a wig. the texture of natural "bad hair" is like an old fleece blanket used by a homeless dude pushing his shopping cart around back streets of mocsow. and that afro thing cannot be cheap or easy to maintain either. on the other hand "bad hair" straightened with relaxer also feels kinda weird to touch. like the same fleece blanket recycled and dry cleaned to be sold in a salvation army charity shop.

i miss the days when i had no idea hair could be "good"and "bad"...

The beauty of my hair is that I could wear it however I want (a little hard to untangle but you get used to it). I love the versatility and feel sorry for my "good-hair" friends who have to wait nearly a year to get a different hairstyles.
In the last 6-7 months, I have had curly hair down my back, a cute bob (my favorite) and now I have long twists (2 strands braids) down my ass. I am not sure what to do next :pirate:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i could not care less about styles. i just want my hair off my face and shoulder at all times. i even sleep with my hair in a ponytail/bun. short hair was even worse as it was impossible to manage without hair products. i'd shave it all off but it grows back. very annoying feature.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
i could not care less about styles. i just want my hair off my face and shoulder at all times. i even sleep with my hair in a ponytail/bun. short hair was even worse as it was impossible to manage without hair products. i'd shave it all off but it grows back. very annoying feature.

Go bald ! All you have to do is go to the barbero once a month. Easy. Adios rubber bands.

Styles are everything for me.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
see, i do not want to go to barbero. i do not like visits to salon, it's a waste of my time that could be spent sleeping :( long hair in an updo is the best option here. i hardly even brush it, i just run my fingers through and fit the band tighter.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The beauty of my hair is that I could wear it however I want (a little hard to untangle but you get used to it). I love the versatility and feel sorry for my "good-hair" friends who have to wait nearly a year to get a different hairstyles.
In the last 6-7 months, I have had curly hair down my back, a cute bob (my favorite) and now I have long twists (2 strands braids) down my ass. I am not sure what to do next :pirate:

I am like you. I wear or style my hair the way I want to. Sometimes I straighten
my hair and at other times leave it natural.(wavy and curly)

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I see a lot more Dominican women wearing their hair curly compared to 5 years ago , but at the same time notices a looooot more weaves/extensions :)

More and more local women are deciding to stop straightening. Salon owners and hair stylist are also recommending "to go natural". It's not an easy journey though.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
More and more local women are deciding to stop straightening. Salon owners and hair stylist are also recommending "to go natural". It's not an easy journey though.

Whether they stop or continue it really doesn't or shouldn't matter. I don't see what the big deal is in
Dominican women preferring to straighten their hair versus leaving it natural.

It's a matter of preference.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don't think it is due to price Agua but cultural. Even dominicans in the US go weekly. It is not that expensive ($25 for a wash and set :nervous:) but they still do it. I admit Dominicans are extremely good with hair and that s the reason why their salons took over many neighborhoods in NYC. Black and Latinas spend a lot of time on their appearance and hair is part of it.

I see what you're saying. I was talking about my friends in particular. Maybe not the case for everyone else, but they do see the salon as a "special treat".

Meems

May 1, 2013
When I first lived here, 30 years ago, I went and got my stick-straight red hair permed. Every single Dominicana I knew said to me, "why do you want bad hair?"

The other obsession is shoes. And of this I highly approve.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I've seen some very positive reviews for a Dominican hair product called Baba de Caracol. I guess if something is called "Snail Snot" it had better be a pretty good product.

dreadful crap. i tried it and my hair was dry, tangled and unmanageable. i could not even brush it.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
dreadful crap. i tried it and my hair was dry, tangled and unmanageable. i could not even brush it.

Different hair textures, different hair products. I like Baba de Caracol (my friend who is North African also tried it and liked it as well and brought a bottle back).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Different hair textures, different hair products. I like Baba de Caracol (my friend who is North African also tried it and liked it as well and brought a bottle back).

yeah. i think this is more fit for "bad hair" or hair that is frizzy, curly, whatnot. although i bought it after reading about it yet again on a polish blog dedicated to DR (and carribean in general).

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
afro is nice to look at. but if i had hair like that i'd shave it all off and wear a wig. the texture of natural "bad hair" is like an old fleece blanket used by a homeless dude pushing his shopping cart around back streets of mocsow. and that afro thing cannot be cheap or easy to maintain either. on the other hand "bad hair" straightened with relaxer also feels kinda weird to touch. like the same fleece blanket recycled and dry cleaned to be sold in a salvation army charity shop.

i miss the days when i had no idea hair could be "good"and "bad"...

Gotta disagree with you on one point, DV. In the '70s I wore and afro for for quite a number of years, and maintained if fairly easily. There are hair products on the market which specifically targets this type of hair.

Aug 6, 2006
I cannot see bald women as attractive, I have difficulty seeing them as women. White guys who shave their heads tend to resemble giant thumbs. Going bald in a sunny country requires a hat for fair-skinned people or they tend to resemble the 2 ball. (ie fire engine red, for those who do not play pool).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My wife had her hair cut off at one time in our relationship, I LOVED IT!!!!!!
I remember one day when we were taking a shower together,......................................????????????
I guess it channeled my "Inner Gay" or something!
I only like it on "Women Of Color", not white women.
Sinead O'Conner" for example!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC