JetBlue -- AZS

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
So now that the flights are getting canceled.....what is the best way of getting there? It was expensive taking a cab from the airport into the town.......about $75 to $85 each way. A flight into the capital then transportation to Las Terrenas can not be cheap. I love the place, but don't know if I want to drag the family, on a couple of hour drive, that will cost a fortune......round trip.

I always fly into SDQ. Honestly, I have been dragging my 2 kids for the past 6 years. It always came out much cheaper for me to fly into SDQ even factoring the $180 taxi ! Plus, You have much more flexibility with your arrival/departure times flying into la capital (from NYC at least); then again, I like to fly at unconventional times such as 11:30 PM after work ( or 6 AM flight) and arrive in LT at sunrise, so that my children are knocked out during 95% of the trip. :smoke:

You can stop along the way to snack, drag ur taxi driver to Super Pola before you get to the rental, they have comfortable vans and are punctual. Easy.

You can also take a bus which stops a short taxi ride from the airport. I have done it, but I am little spoiled and rather hop on a taxi directo, lol.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I always fly into SDQ. Honestly, I have been dragging my 2 kids for the past 6 years. It always came out much cheaper for me to fly into SDQ even factoring the $180 taxi ! Plus, You have much more flexibility with your arrival/departure times flying into la capital (from NYC at least); then again, I like to fly at unconventional times such as 11:30 PM after work ( or 6 AM flight) and arrive in LT at sunrise, so that my children are knocked out during 95% of the trip. :smoke:

You can stop along the way to snack, drag ur taxi driver to Super Pola before you get to the rental, they have comfortable vans and are punctual. Easy.

You can also take a bus which stops a short taxi ride from the airport. I have done it, but I am little spoiled and rather hop on a taxi directo, lol.

I nornally fly mid-week and always seemed to be able to get a reasonable price on the flight from on JetBlue into El Catey. I didn't realize this but Wyndham recently reopened their Hotel in Playa Bonita as an upscale adults only all-inclusive. That can't help their business without direct flights from NYC.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I nornally fly mid-week and always seemed to be able to get a reasonable price on the flight from on JetBlue into El Catey. I didn't realize this but Wyndham recently reopened their Hotel in Playa Bonita as an upscale adults only all-inclusive. That can't help their business without direct flights from NYC.

I do know they are many deals into AZS, but I have no choice, I am tied to my children's schedule (and I mostly try to leave a few days before and after their break). High season is called high season for a reason, more people flying because people have time off from work.

For Christmas and NY eve's and el Catey flights were over a $1000 dollars, I paid $600 flying into SDQ (for a family of 4 that is a significant difference).

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
I have also confirmed with Jetblue that they are stopping this route which is a real shame.

Their recommendation is to fly into Punta Cana and take a transfer from there. That has to be brutal and expensive.

I have a friend who works in one of the hotels in LT and the hotel workers are in a bit of a panic and outrage. Times have been very slow and this will only make it worse for the area.

Does anyone have the scoop on if another US based carrier will be taking over this route? From JFK, I used to be able to take a 7 day trip with air and hotel for $1300. It was a pleasant 4 hour flight. It is now going to cost $3,000 and take 10+ hours to fly down there, with 2 stops. No thanks...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Better to use POP..... closer.... IMO.

JetBlue to POP.... or use United.....both direct.

About a 3 hr ride to LT.........

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Three hours from POP ? ? I don't think it takes us that long from Santo Domingo. And we leave from the center of the capitol. If you are leaving from SDQ airport the new highway to LT starts almost at the end of the access road. And of course SDQ has way more flights than POP.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yup....

1 hr 20 min to Cabrera
another hour to AZS
then the 30-40 min to LT

as I see it.

SDQ is cheaper...

should be less than 2 hrs.... your right.

15 min to Autopista
Autopista = 1hr....
then 45 min to LT

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Three hours from POP ? ? I don't think it takes us that long from Santo Domingo. And we leave from the center of the capitol. If you are leaving from SDQ airport the new highway to LT starts almost at the end of the access road. And of course SDQ has way more flights than POP.

Yes it takes a FULL 3 hours for sure... Samana City is more like 4 hours, not sure how you guys drive.. but those are realistic times .. from POP airport or Sosua area.. to Galeras (all the way at the end of the Peninsula) takes me a full 4.5 Hours.. but I am careful..
U can not compare Autopista #5 along the north coast, with all its turns and heavily Populated little towns you have to go through, to the Highway Driving from Santo Domingo.. completely different ..

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have also confirmed with Jetblue that they are stopping this route which is a real shame.

Their recommendation is to fly into Punta Cana and take a transfer from there. That has to be brutal and expensive.

I have a friend who works in one of the hotels in LT and the hotel workers are in a bit of a panic and outrage. Times have been very slow and this will only make it worse for the area.

Does anyone have the scoop on if another US based carrier will be taking over this route? From JFK, I used to be able to take a 7 day trip with air and hotel for $1300. It was a pleasant 4 hour flight. It is now going to cost $3,000 and take 10+ hours to fly down there, with 2 stops. No thanks...

I am in LT this week and on the trip down on Jet Blue I asked one of the stewards and he said that this flight into AZS is going to be seasonal and most likely will be available again next December through high season. My flight was far from full

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My EWR-POP flight today was crazy empty.....

Almost none of the 'premium' seats were sold..... all exit rows - empty

Mostly 20 somethings on the plane... but it was a Monday

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
My EWR-POP flight today was crazy empty.....

Almost none of the 'premium' seats were sold..... all exit rows - empty

Mostly 20 somethings on the plane... but it was a Monday

wow, thats nuts..
Usually you only see that on like the 3 am flights to jfk from STI.. and
have only seen it like 2 times.

what time was your Flight ? TO POP ??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
9:12am from EWR..... really empty....

I was on points, so don't know the price.

I hope LT is right about JetBlue seasonal to AZS.
I was quoting an internal memo and there was no mention of that.....no seasonal option.

LT wants to see it continue...so do I............ fingers crossed

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Seasonal is where they hit you over the head. They charge over $1000.00 in high season. Nothing better than getting a deal in the low season. I don't want to pay those fairs for 4 people.......guess I will find another part of the Island to visit.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

The guy from the car rental agency told me that he heard Delta was going to take over the route, after JetBlue decided not to renew the contract. He said Delta would resume flying the route from JFK to AZS around July. He said it is just a rumor, nothing for certain. Has anyone else heard this?