JOBS... Where and How ?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Hello everyone ; I am thinking about moving to DR for a year but I need some extra income in order to supplement my Veteran's check ; so Where and How does Americans citizen(expats) get jobs Santiago? It's my understanding that's the fact that someone speaks and writes English fluently in DR Opens up a lot of jobs opportunities.

Keep in mind that's I am just a regular joe ; I don't have a Phd or Masters degree ....

Thank you

Don't even think of it.......

The last thing you wanna do is struggle in paradise........

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
I see Rey in a different situation than probably most expats who venture to DR. He already has a pension and medical benefits that (correct me if I'm wrong) are the 2 major hurdle expenses to consider in DR.

I would plan a budget based on what you got now, test the water out for a year, and if it don't work out, the VA is always hiring Vets (at least thats my plan in the future ; ) )

my two cents.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
You know the truth is, if you can SELL, and you don't mind working hard and you still have some "juice left in the tank", many come East and sell the proverbial Time Share, or the not so dirty a word "Vacation Club"... Top closers about 15% of the folk, make 80K to a 100K annually.. For me its not an option, I hate to sell...

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Has anyone worked in a call center here?

I have.

It sucks.

Long hours, **** pay, overseeing bosses who will can you if you aren't giving them the numbers they want.

If you are working illegally say goodbye to your severance pay, you won't see it.

As an American, learn from my experience and save yourself many, many headaches.

Invest in a power inverter, a good one.

Pay a little more for an apartment in a quiet neighborhood.

Have a reliable and decently fast computer/laptop.

Figure out how to get a US phone number (it's not hard and it's free).

Get at least 5mbps internet.

Work online. I recommend oDesk and Elance.

Laugh your way to the bank when you make 3x, 4x, 5x more than anything you could ever make in a call center.

You're going to need 6 months of living expenses for daily activities and enough to cover the above expenses I mentioned.

I'll tell you now before you even come down here, if your apartment is RD$10,000/month be ready to fork over RD$40,000 for the deposit, first month, finders fee, contract, and anything else that may pop up.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Definitely. You should also try landing a job with an American company that pays dollars directly into an American checking account. Perhaps with one of those companies listed above.
This will save you from having to worry about whether or not your local call-center boss is going to pay you on time or, in some cases, pay you at all.
As an American I have worked in a call center here on the north coast. Some days were better than others. Now I am working from home here in Santo Domingo. I bought a used computer at Mega Computers of Puerto Plata for about 4,000 pesos in May of this year. Works just fine. I have internet service (necessary 3mb down/ 1 mb up speed) with Wind Telecom. Makes life a lot more pleasant not having to fight with the traffic here in SD and so long as my net speed is good, I can work from anywhere on the island. Welcome to paradise.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
:speechles Second time this week I have "double posted" by accident. Happens whenever I click the "preview post" button??

Last edited: