Just back from Haiti, trip report .....

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NAL do you really think that no one in the government knows what you have written ?? The government officials are full of very well educated people with degrees from Spain and the USA and Canada who are quite capable of assessing the problem . The office of the President is comprised of very intelligent people . Your interpretation of the dangers in the wealth gap are not unknown and in fact there are numerous think tanks in the capital issuing papers on this subject . Most analysts seem to agree that the most important thing is to create jobs for the Haitians in their own country so the motivation to leave is reduced . This solution has been somewhat thwarted by the corruption and the Clinton Foundation debacle there.There are far better solutions to the problem than a Trump Wall . I, for one ,have confidence in the future of both countries ,with the help of kinder nature.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
My view of the Dominican policy towards Haiti ,is that is been excellent and sufficiently fluid to meet changes . The need for all Haitians ,and other foreigners, to have documentation, the issuing of work visas and student visas to Haitians , the compassionate treatment of pregnant Haitian women , the relationship with the Haitian government are all indications of a thoughtful government .The border skirmishes, the occasional spats over transportation of goods into Haiti are nothing very serious. We are a relatively poor country but our financial aid to our neighbour has been good . The Western nations who have had an historical interest in Haiti should do the same ..It will be China who comes in soon just as they have in poor African countries.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Even with the infusion of Chinese capital?
I forgot about the Chinese plans, but lets wait and see if the money starts to flow. That’s really the only thing that can change the game.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
.......a trump WALL........?

Don’t know if that would work, but in Israel they built one that actually reduced illegal crossings to near zero. Its probably the only wall (funny that they call it a ‘fence’) that actually works, but they built it to work and not for show or gaining political points with voters.

The other problem with Haiti is the degradation of the land due to mass deforestation, making small farms almost an impossibility in many areas; and, its considerably over populated and getting even more crowded. 

Eventually something has to be done to contain that problem, unless the Chinese keep their word or Dominicans give up on the idea of remaining a separate country and of improving the standards of living of the average person. 

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My view of the Dominican policy towards Haiti ,is that is been excellent and sufficiently fluid to meet changes . The need for all Haitians ,and other foreigners, to have documentation, the issuing of work visas and student visas to Haitians , the compassionate treatment of pregnant Haitian women , the relationship with the Haitian government are all indications of a thoughtful government .The border skirmishes, the occasional spats over transportation of goods into Haiti are nothing very serious. We are a relatively poor country but our financial aid to our neighbour has been good . The Western nations who have had an historical interest in Haiti should do the same ..It will be China who comes in soon just as they have in poor African countries.
The DR mainly wants to keep Haitian riff-raff out. That is the DR's prime reason for the help.

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done in Haiti to fix it. Look how much $$$ has been dumped into Haiti in the last 50 years with virtually no improvement.

Has there even been a movement to replant trees in Haiti?

One thing I'd like to see is every household given a simple propane stove/over and monthly supply of propane to keep it working....until trees can be regrown, soil enriched and land replanted.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The OP provided a splendid, well written trip report. Must we spoil it with more of the same old RD-Haiti tug of war political viewpoints? Surely, there are other threads open for this discourse, which should be discussed, just not on this thread.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The OP provided a splendid, well written trip report. Must we spoil it with more of the same old RD-Haiti tug of war political viewpoints? Surely, there are other threads open for this discourse, which should be discussed, just not on this thread.
I have three videos regarding our rather interesting trip to Haiti. If anyone is interested, I'll post them.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The DR mainly wants to keep Haitian riff-raff out. That is the DR's prime reason for the help.

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done in Haiti to fix it. Look how much $$$ has been dumped into Haiti in the last 50 years with virtually no improvement.

Has there even been a movement to replant trees in Haiti?

One thing I'd like to see is every household given a simple propane stove/over and monthly supply of propane to keep it working....until trees can be regrown, soil enriched and land replanted.

The DR has a plan (had more in reality to conditions) to create a means in Haiti in order to reduce the need to emigrate to our side in the most pressing aspects,

#1 Was the building and equipping of a modern University Campus, so that Haitian students could emigrate within their own borders when seeking higher education and/or technical training. To this end the now defunct Limonade campus was built and delivered as a turn key to Haiti some years back. Haiti is a mess from top to bottom.

#2 Was the rebuilding of major transportation infrastructure, like the main trunk roads, overtaxed transit points(the overpasses), airports, sea ports, etc...

#3 Was the planning for a DR to Haiti natural gas pipeline, in order to use the re gasification terminal on the east to supply Haiti with a cheaper and more cost effective alternative to LPG currently slaved to oil prices. The plan was shopped around to potential investors looking to fund major projects in Haiti. This plan was coupled with a large campaign to distribute gas cooktops and creating a Haitian version of the DR Bono gas program under an international umbrella.

#4 Was the General Amnesty plan, in order to provide the Illegal Haitians with legal permits and Cedulas so they can work in the DR enjoying the same protection and pay as their Dominican counterparts under current labor laws. At the same time being added to both the social security and universal health systems. 

#5 Was to establish a FTA between the two nations, whilst promoting newer and less prone to corruption customs control systems in all Haitian ports of entry. 

The results so far?

For #1: The campus is not being used as it was planned to and the results are a reflection of that Haitian policy.

For #2: The roads the DR companies undertook to rebuilt, were later cancelled in their last stages and the work turned over to a ring of gov friends in Haiti. They did done painting and cleaning after that, not a single thing job to conclude them as required.
The same happened for the overpasses and the airport projects. The ports contract was terminated and reassigned to friends of the administration and Haitian senate. Same **** as always ended being the results there. The national palace tells you a bit on it.

For #3: The DR was able to gather the needed interest for investors to come to the island and studies carried out, until the political situation in Haiti started to look like there was a coup per every few months there. I mean, gas and fire don’t mix well, so too noted those investors. Not a single insurer was even looked up for the underwriting of the gas pipe network. Forget about cooktops when LPG being the only option for the whole plan to work.

For #4: The Haitian gov is still promising to provide its citizens with the documents s they paid for years ago. So much for that plan.

For #5: The Haitian elite is not ready to let go of their golden goose and would let their countrymen eat grass with their dirt cookies if it came to the FTA with the DR...

Just so you know here: The DR has plans for a border fence (cheaper).

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
".......a trump WALL........?"...and tell Haiti to pay for it to make sure it'll get built.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
".......a trump WALL........?"...and tell Haiti to pay for it to make sure it'll get built.
That will probably be the 'requisite' for the Dominican government to get the approval from the 'international community' and the NGO's, with a wink of course. lol

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
oh thank you!  Imjust got home from being gone all day running errands, I’m beat to death.

I watched lots of the first one this morning before I left.  Wow, I can’t imagine being there, it looks like literally anything can happen.  I’m looking forward to seeing the rest, I’ve got to wind down first.