Just had the best trip EVER in SD!!!!! The Good, Bad, Ugly and Ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I think Jose finds his sexuality more relevant than the rest of the world, there is a steriotype and he's doing his best to accomplish it.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Not sure what types of acts you are referring to, and it does make a huge difference in the level of risk and negligence. If these Americans are simply having oral sex then they are exposing the prostitute to a risk which is largely theoretical or 1 in several thousand. If they are engaging in unprotected anal sex then there is a 50/50 chance that they are infecting a previously uninfected person and thus morally would be guilty of their ultimate death from the disease as well as all of the others they later infected. However, if these prostitutes are willing to engage in such high risk acts then I would say that they are probably the ones doing the spreading.

The HIV rate here is double the American average, but I am not sure if that is due to the number of Haitians, prostitution or sexual practices of the general population. I have heard of several heterosexual women becoming HIV positive due to their boyfriends. Women are often victimized the worst from all of this as they catch most STDs much more easily than men.
DR has an HIV rate of .07 USA has a rate of .06, so not th?t much of a difference, DRs rate is a lot less than European countries like Portugal, Ukraine and Russia.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for sharing. Most of us experienced some sort of corrupt individual during our travels in DR. Especially in the Capital. Not everyone you encounter will try to extort you for a few pesos, but get use to saying no.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
It's funny 90% of my post about my hotels, food, the corrupt ass police and individuals, yet 90% of the responses here on DR1 are about my sexuality...

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for sharing. Most of us experienced some sort of corrupt individual during our travels in DR. Especially in the Capital. Not everyone you encounter will try to extort you for a few pesos, but get use to saying no.
Thank you I think the reason I encountered so much corruption is because I was in Zona Colonial, it seemed like the nicer residential areas I only encountered good people, like the area around Sullys and El meson de la cava.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Pepper spray is legal here, what kind did you have? As someone else said depends on the time of day what is legal or not but as a tourist you will get bothered more obviously.

Glad you had a good trip.
It was a small black pepper spray keychain, he didn't even know what it was until he asked my friend in Spanish. It was police strength but he didn't know. Glad my friend got me out of that! He said DR police have been known to try to plant illegal stuff on tourist.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
DR has an HIV rate of .07 USA has a rate of .06, so not th?t much of a difference, DRs rate is a lot less than European countries like Portugal, Ukraine and Russia.

Geography 101. Ukraine and Russia are not European countries.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
As far as the DR I would hesitate to call it tolerant of gays given that it:

1. Is a Catholic country.
2. Is a machista culture.
3. Is but a generation removed from open violence on gays/transsexuals, etc.

Perhaps if you hang out in wealthy areas of SD, then you might see tolerance. But anywhere else I doubt it. I think the OP's posting shows the lack of tolerance towards him. We need to remember also that when America tried to push its gay rights agenda last year it was met with firm resistance from politicians and the populace alike.

Utterly wrong. Coming from both central city, reasonably nice area, and the other end, La Caleta, probably one of the roughest barrios in the country I can assure you both have a fair share of gay men, and in both places they are totally accepted. Maco men might not hang out with them, but there is never any homophodic confrontations. So, in this case, you couldn't be further from the mark. Gay women on the other hand is very much different.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It's funny 90% of my post about my hotels, food, the corrupt ass police and individuals, yet 90% of the responses here on DR1 are about my sexuality...

Your sexuality need not have come into it, no one assumed you were gay, nor that you were running around wirh rent boys. It could have been only about hotels and corrupt police if fhat is what you had wanted.:tired:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
FWIW Jose, I'd guess that most of that .07 is centralized in SD and to a lesser extent in Santiago. Just a word of caution.

And unless your new found love interest already has a VISA, I'd recommend you don't get your hopes up.

I'd hazard a guess the majority carrying in DR have no clue. The amount of unprotected sex in DR and the figures almost certainly are much higher.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know why the big deal about Jose saying he's gay. People often describe themselves here: male, female, black, white, Asian, their age range, etc., I think it helps us with the whole picture. An old monger, an older woman, a 20-something couple and a gay tourist will all have different outlooks. Room for them all here.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Am I allowed to crack jokes on this one without being punished?:paranoid:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I don't know why the big deal about Jose saying he's gay. People often describe themselves here: male, female, black, white, Asian, their age range, etc., I think it helps us with the whole picture. An old monger, an older woman, a 20-something couple and a gay tourist will all have different outlooks. Room for them all here.

There is no big deal, I think anyone who was writing things in the same context yet relating to hetrosexual pointers would be getting a similar opinion or comment.
'I left a gay bar with a friend and was talking to a rent boy when the police approached us and wanted money.'

is no different at all from

'I left a car wash and was talking to a prostitute when the police approached us and wanted money'.

'I fell in love with this rent boy and want to bring him to the US'

is no different than

'I fell in love with a prostitute and want to bring her to the US'.

Nobodies opinions are formed on his sexuality, people would still feel............ well, been here a million times haven't we. The script is written, he comes, he has plentiful experiences until something worse than just regular bad happens to him. Then he switches and hates everything about the place, when the only thing and reason he likes the place is for a piece of cheap brown ass, just the men that take this trip.

Single people making regular multitrips to DR are not brass rubbing thier way around the countries churches.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
As far as the DR I would hesitate to call it tolerant of gays given that it:

1. Is a Catholic country.
2. Is a machista culture.
3. Is but a generation removed from open violence on gays/transsexuals, etc.

Perhaps if you hang out in wealthy areas of SD, then you might see tolerance. But anywhere else I doubt it. I think the OP's posting shows the lack of tolerance towards him. We need to remember also that when America tried to push its gay rights agenda last year it was met with firm resistance from politicians and the populace alike.

People quit bashing religion here, not cool. Maybe he should go to a Muslim country and be given a death sentence.
Most first world countries it has been .5 to 1 generation time that one can be out of the closet.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I am good with gay, straight, etc.

Just don't write about your (generic) escapades with rentals (lol).

Do not care!!!!

joselowe

May 5, 2015
There is no big deal, I think anyone who was writing things in the same context yet relating to hetrosexual pointers would be getting a similar opinion or comment.
'I left a gay bar with a friend and was talking to a rent boy when the police approached us and wanted money.'

is no different at all from

'I left a car wash and was talking to a prostitute when the police approached us and wanted money'.

'I fell in love with this rent boy and want to bring him to the US'

is no different than

'I fell in love with a prostitute and want to bring her to the US'.

Nobodies opinions are formed on his sexuality, people would still feel............ well, been here a million times haven't we. The script is written, he comes, he has plentiful experiences until something worse than just regular bad happens to him. Then he switches and hates everything about the place, when the only thing and reason he likes the place is for a piece of cheap brown ass, just the men that take this trip.

Single people making regular multitrips to DR are not brass rubbing thier way around the countries churches.
Umm I don't only go to dr for sex. I can buy sex anywhere I wouldn't need to fly cross country for sex, if I only wanted sex tourism id go to Brazil. I love Dominican culture and the people, the food, the hotels, the crazy ass driving, the beautiful beaches and as an African american I'm still fascinated by the idea of Spanish speaking people who look like me and laugh at Dominicans telling me that I look Hispanic, when I look like a regular mixed black/white guy in the US. The DR is hands down my fave country and sex is not a main factor.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Umm I don't only go to dr for sex. I can buy sex anywhere I wouldn't need to fly cross country for sex, if I only wanted sex tourism id go to Brazil. I love Dominican culture and the people, the food, the hotels, the crazy ass driving, the beautiful beaches and as an African american I'm still fascinated by the idea of Spanish speaking people who look like me and laugh at Dominicans telling me that I look Hispanic, when I look like a regular mixed black/white guy in the US. The DR is hands down my fave country and sex is not a main factor.

That is nice, but since every post you write contains sexual encounters or where to find them, people will not believe you. That's just the picture you paint.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just curious but why wouldn't I ever be allowed to bring a lover back to the states?

I believe the reason is that there is no way you could sponsor an adult of the same sex.

A man who is a US citizen can sponsor a woman or a woman as a US citizen can sponsor a man as a fianc?, but I do not think same sex relationships can be sponsored in that manner. And since there is no gay marriage allowed in the DR, you could not sponsor them as a spouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.