La Casa de Paellas

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well I decided on Boga Boga and I think this is a classic example of YMMV. The restaurant is really, really nice but the paella was "terrible".

I had considered going to Sully but the online menu says a 50 minute wait for the paella to be prepared. After that mess at Boga Boga i should have waited at Sully.

here is the scoop.*

1...saffron is hellaciously expensive.

2..a good paella has to have good saffron. that is the ingredient that makes paella good, or bad.

3..some local restaurants are not going to spring beaucoup bucks for primo saffron.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
here is the scoop.*

1...saffron is hellaciously expensive.

2..a good paella has to have good saffron. that is the ingredient that makes paella good, or bad.

3..some local restaurants are not going to spring beaucoup bucks for primo saffron.

Nay, here is the real scoop...........

24xds75.jpg

Not the best foto but this was an upscale restaurant where selfies and flash photos are just not done.

Food came to the table piping hot, reminded me of food heated up in a microwave. We waited ten minutes before we started to eat. Just plain nasty..................

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
On a positive note the Jam?n serrano with toasted garlic bread was excellent. I should have just made a complete meal of this.

70j9rb.jpg

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Nay, here is the real scoop...........

24xds75.jpg

Not the best foto but this was an upscale restaurant where selfies and flash photos are just not done.

Food came to the table piping hot, reminded me of food heated up in a microwave. We waited ten minutes before we started to eat. Just plain nasty..................

i do not know if that is a picture of the paella, but all pealla i have ever eaten is yellow...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I had paella negra in Spain last month, first time for me as well... it was quite good and the rice delicious. Squid ink colors it. A shame they didn't get it right here. Some various images from google

b51cccc3f4d2cdcc0614ad9a5d9f2fcb.jpg

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Paella negra looks gross to me. Visual has a lot to do with how much I might like something. I would have ordered the standard paella.
Does Boga Boga have Dominicans or Spaniards doing the cooking?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Bird should have went to sully's, wait would have been worth it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Paella negra looks gross to me. Visual has a lot to do with how much I might like something. I would have ordered the standard paella.
Does Boga Boga have Dominicans or Spaniards doing the cooking?

Not sure who cooked it as I didn't get into the kitchen. Ordered the standard paella? I am not sure if that would have made a difference other than not looking so "gross".