"La Chismosa" Bar Restaurant in SD.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
All very interesting...

Racism is alive and kicking in Santo Domingo, you either don't go out or don't live here to think otherwise. The problem is, what some people on the "outside" consider racism, many Dominicans consider normal.

I have spent countless hours in bars and clubs both sides of the river over the past 15 years, so I have a little experience under my belt. The only times I have EVER been turned away at the door is when I'm with someone that doesn't look like snow white.

This about sums it up ....And don't expect it to change because of this news report or 2 month bar closure. It'll be business as usual in less than 2 months

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You want see a club or bar in Naco or Piantini die in a heartbeat, let it be known that a bunch of people from the UASD or Zona Oriental are frequenting it.
It's common knowledge that the UASD (the only public university in the country where anyone with a high school diploma can get in; the people that study in the UASD do so because for the most part they can't afford to study at a private institution, much less the upper tier schools) and most people from SDE are, for the most part, not even of upper middle class status much less further up.

Let it be known that a bar is frequented by the stereotyped Sosua-type expats and this very same group will avoid that bar as if it had the plague. In fact, there's a reason why expats communities from certain resort towns are the butt of jokes among this very group and are avoided with a passion, their skin tone not withstanding.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
Hmm..then half of the night clubs here in Munich would need to close down..there are too many racist scumbags still out everywhere

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
But...being in DR, it's not too crazy to think that probably the very owners of La Chismosa are behind all this scandal. Maybe they want the rumor out that they only like whites. That'll probably attract the white crowd, those who don't want to hang out where the blacks do, and keep away the blacks who won't risk being rejected at the door.As weird as it sounds, in DR that might translate into some "status" for a bar. And since this is all for show, no crime was comitted that can be proved. Remember this is the place where the easy is hard, the hard is impossible and the impossible is easy.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
But...being in DR, it's not too crazy to think that probably the very owners of La Chismosa are behind all this scandal. Maybe they want the rumor out that they only like whites. That'll probably attract the white crowd, those who don't want to hang out where the blacks do, and keep away the blacks who won't risk being rejected at the door.As weird as it sounds, in DR that might translate into some "status" for a bar. And since this is all for show, no crime was comitted that can be proved. Remember this is the place where the easy is hard, the hard is impossible and the impossible is easy.

I have never been to this place before, but I am now interested in going just to see the place inside because of this scandal. I thought the same thing when I first read this, that now more people will want to go just for the status symbol than before this happening. Curiosity killed the cat.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Many years ago I was meeting a friend at the Harvard Club (Harvard Univ. Alums only) in Boston for dinner.
He told me that if he wasn't there to wait for him in the bar.
He wasn't there, so I went to the bar and sat down.
I waited, then I motioned for the bartender to come over.
I asked him for a drink.
He said I would have to wait for my host to arrive.
I asked him how he knew I wasn't a member.
He just smiled, and said, "I Can Tell"!
I just took off my "Hoodie" and waited.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
what certain groups might these be? care to disclose, or maybe not?

Put it like this.. a group of men will probably never get in any club in Western Europe.. Only very small groups or men with their girlfriends.. is this discrimination?

In case a group of men for example with Arabic descent (who prefer to go out in groups) may not enter a club.. racist?
or perhaps they come as a group?

Or what if these groups go to the clubs, dont order drinks but are causing fights in the club.. what would you do as an owner?
You would prefer these groups not to enter your club? You can also change the wording of arabics into hooligans.. but in one case its racism.. where actually the decision has been taken on personal experience..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Put it like this.. a group of men will probably never get in any club in Western Europe.. Only very small groups or men with their girlfriends.. is this discrimination?

In case a group of men for example with Arabic descent (who prefer to go out in groups) may not enter a club.. racist?
or perhaps they come as a group?

Or what if these groups go to the clubs, dont order drinks but are causing fights in the club.. what would you do as an owner?
You would prefer these groups not to enter your club? You can also change the wording of arabics into hooligans.. but in one case its racism.. where actually the decision has been taken on personal experience..

you do have a valid point, Curacaoleno. nobody wants British soccer hooligans anywhere in Europe.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Yeah I see. Hopefully they learned their lessons in regards to discrimination and under age patrons.