La Isabelita, Cook, Gyms, Personal Trainer in SD

jose949

Oct 29, 2016
I've read caution about crossing the bridge as well as mixed opinions about SDE. How is the Isabelita area in SDE along Avenida Espana in terms of day time safety for example is it safe to walk within the area during the day to dusk time?

There are some short term apartment rentals in the area, would it be an area that would be okay for a visitor living there for a couple of weeks? Any drawbacks, cautions?
Also looking for recommendations for a cook or service that that can prepare healthy meals on order, gym recommendations or all rounded areas within SD where gyms are within walking distance from residential areas.

Lastly recommendations for personal trainers or guidance on how to find a reliable Personal Trainer. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 8.29.25 PM.jpg

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Shouldn't be too much of an issue for a couple of weeks. Just keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings.

For food, don't get a cook or a service, just use the pedidosya app and have your pick.

Can't help you with gyms.

Reactions: jose949

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It's been a year or maybe longer, but I've walked Avenida Espana. Totally cool back then. I feared nothing.

As far as a personal trainer goes, I know Smart Fit San Isidro has them. I don't think all the Smart Fits do though.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
On daytime there is no problem to walk the entire Av. Espana. It's completly rebuild and many people using it to exercise. When it gets dark I recomend only using the area from Av. Charles de Gaulles to the Aquarium. On weekends the Av. Espana becomes very croweded and noisy during all night, all the young people with there blasting speakers competing the terrible musica urbano. If you are a party gut that's fine, if you are looking for a quite place search for a different area.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Shouldn't be too much of an issue for a couple of weeks. Just keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings.

For food, don't get a cook or a service, just use the pedidosya app and have your pick.

call your local smart Fit gym....................

jose949

Oct 29, 2016

I will get the app. I hadn't heard of it, it will be a great help. Likely max 6 weeks so it will be short.
It's been a year or maybe longer, but I've walked Avenida Espana. Totally cool back then. I feared nothing.

As far as a personal trainer goes, I know Smart Fit San Isidro has them. I don't think all the Smart Fits do though.
I'll check out the San Isidro one and take it from there. Good to know you found it cool at the time, its probably not changed much.
On daytime there is no problem to walk the entire Av. Espana. It's completly rebuild and many people using it to exercise. When it gets dark I recomend only using the area from Av. Charles de Gaulles to the Aquarium. On weekends the Av. Espana becomes very croweded and noisy during all night, all the young people with there blasting speakers competing the terrible musica urbano. If you are a party gut that's fine, if you are looking for a quite place search for a different area.
That's a good point about noise, as long as its not during the weekdays or daytime. I'll keep that in mind if I happen to be out at dark. I am usually tolerant on noise. If its all night that will be an adventure, I'll probably just be out myself and plan on ear plugs just incase. Long term living I can see it being a problem when it gets old.
call your local smart Fit gym....................
Will do. I'll see what is close by when I get out there.

I appreciate all the responses, very helpful. Thanks.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I will get the app. I hadn't heard of it, it will be a great help. Likely max 6 weeks so it will be short.

I'll check out the San Isidro one and take it from there. Good to know you found it cool at the time, its probably not changed much.

That's a good point about noise, as long as its not during the weekdays or daytime. I'll keep that in mind if I happen to be out at dark. I am usually tolerant on noise. If its all night that will be an adventure, I'll probably just be out myself and plan on ear plugs just incase. Long term living I can see it being a problem when it gets old.

Will do. I'll see what is close by when I get out there.

I appreciate all the responses, very helpful. Thanks.
smart Fits are owned by Bravo supermarkets.... and are mostly next to each other,

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Noise is a big issue there from Thursday - Sunday, you won't be getting much sleep at all if you're near the front. SDE has far worse levels of noise policing than the Distrito Nacional on the other side of the river. Walking along the Avenida España is reasonably safe any time.

Traffic in San Isidro is a nightmare, you won't get from Avenida España to San Isidro Smart Fit in less than about 30/40 mins.

Can I ask why you are looking there specifically? If you want a user-friendly area to rent in, look in Bella Vista / Cacicazgos near to Parque Mirador del Sur, lovely walks around the park, extremely good gyms, everything on your doorstep and very much geared up to foreign visitors - high levels of policing and safety. Or the Colonial Zone (there is only one reasonably gym in the Conde, but they do have PT's), very safe, easy to walk around, very tourist-friendly. Or if you're wedded to living in SDE, try one of the many many apartments for short-term rent in Riviera Colonial, that's just a short walk from the Zona Colonial across the bridge.

jose949

Oct 29, 2016
smart Fits are owned by Bravo supermarkets.... and are mostly next to each other,
Good to know, makes it convenient to do both grocery shopping along with going to the gym. Will check some out when I go shopping.

Noise is a big issue there from Thursday - Sunday, you won't be getting much sleep at all if you're near the front. SDE has far worse levels of noise policing than the Distrito Nacional on the other side of the river. Walking along the Avenida España is reasonably safe any time.

Traffic in San Isidro is a nightmare, you won't get from Avenida España to San Isidro Smart Fit in less than about 30/40 mins.

Can I ask why you are looking there specifically? If you want a user-friendly area to rent in, look in Bella Vista / Cacicazgos near to Parque Mirador del Sur, lovely walks around the park, extremely good gyms, everything on your doorstep and very much geared up to foreign visitors - high levels of policing and safety. Or the Colonial Zone (there is only one reasonably gym in the Conde, but they do have PT's), very safe, easy to walk around, very tourist-friendly. Or if you're wedded to living in SDE, try one of the many many apartments for short-term rent in Riviera Colonial, that's just a short walk from the Zona Colonial across the bridge.
Yes, noise is a concern if it lasts all night for 3 days, I'm going to avoid staying around Av. España and aim for 1-3 inner streets away from the front. Ear plugs and weekend travel out of town are the backup plan, though Monday's are probably going to be struggle if its a loud Sunday night. That is reassuring about safety, its hard to gauge for a newbie to a new area. I'll get more familiar with DN once in town for future. 40 minutes each way would be rough not unless I'm pulling off an early bird routine at 5/6am or a later pm.

The reason is, I'll have some recurring appointments in the area during the day and want to minimize travel/commute time if I can. I'm also avoiding having to rent a car or travel unless leaving town for the weekend otherwise the plan is to use Uber - hopefully minus bait and switch schemes I've heard about.

I haven't succeeded in finding an alternate to the PT I last worked with before who was excellent, its one of those chicken and egg problems, find a reliable PT who has fair gringo pricing, find a gym, find where to stay in close by or stick to what I know for sure with some compromises. High impact fitness is the main goal for my stay. I knew I was getting Gringo priced when a PT quoted me a rate that was higher than in the US. I lived in the Gazcue area before a while back, nice area, I liked it, quiet, decent walk time to Zona Colonial.

I'll use my time there to figure out the gyms, get some PT contacts and learn more about the areas that you recommended for my next trip. Other than that primary reason, I'm not glued to SDE at all. I only knew about it before because of some entertainment areas I think around Av. Venezuela if memory serves me right.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Good to know, makes it convenient to do both grocery shopping along with going to the gym. Will check some out when I go shopping.

Yes, noise is a concern if it lasts all night for 3 days, I'm going to avoid staying around Av. España and aim for 1-3 inner streets away from the front. Ear plugs and weekend travel out of town are the backup plan, though Monday's are probably going to be struggle if its a loud Sunday night. That is reassuring about safety, its hard to gauge for a newbie to a new area. I'll get more familiar with DN once in town for future. 40 minutes each way would be rough not unless I'm pulling off an early bird routine at 5/6am or a later pm.

The reason is, I'll have some recurring appointments in the area during the day and want to minimize travel/commute time if I can. I'm also avoiding having to rent a car or travel unless leaving town for the weekend otherwise the plan is to use Uber - hopefully minus bait and switch schemes I've heard about.

I haven't succeeded in finding an alternate to the PT I last worked with before who was excellent, its one of those chicken and egg problems, find a reliable PT who has fair gringo pricing, find a gym, find where to stay in close by or stick to what I know for sure with some compromises. High impact fitness is the main goal for my stay. I knew I was getting Gringo priced when a PT quoted me a rate that was higher than in the US. I lived in the Gazcue area before a while back, nice area, I liked it, quiet, decent walk time to Zona Colonial.

I'll use my time there to figure out the gyms, get some PT contacts and learn more about the areas that you recommended for my next trip. Other than that primary reason, I'm not glued to SDE at all. I only knew about it before because of some entertainment areas I think around Av. Venezuela if memory serves me right.

I'd honestly suggest you look at the Zona Colonial / Santa Barbara, which is just over the bridge and very close in Uber terms, or if you want to be in SD Este really close to Av España, go for one of the many many apartments for rent in Riviera Colonial. Entertainment for people who don't know the city is also probably much better in the Zona Colonial than in SD Este. The bars in Av Venezuela, in my experience, are really aimed at groups of locals, not people from out of town. Everyone tends to sit in quite tight groups and it's not all that easy to meet new people, unlike the Zona Colonial where places like Onnos are really geared up for locals and foreigners to meet.

jose949

Oct 29, 2016
I'd honestly suggest you look at the Zona Colonial / Santa Barbara, which is just over the bridge and very close in Uber terms, or if you want to be in SD Este really close to Av España, go for one of the many many apartments for rent in Riviera Colonial. Entertainment for people who don't know the city is also probably much better in the Zona Colonial than in SD Este. The bars in Av Venezuela, in my experience, are really aimed at groups of locals, not people from out of town. Everyone tends to sit in quite tight groups and it's not all that easy to meet new people, unlike the Zona Colonial where places like Onnos are really geared up for locals and foreigners to meet.
Thanks for the additional feedback. I will take a look at those areas in particular Riviera Colonial. I was keen to avoid vehicle commute and looking more at walkable distances 10-15 minutes walking max. Yes, Av. Venezuela did have that vibe, with the table set up. I was with friends visiting so it was not as bad, not as great when solo traveling. I did venture out to the area around Blue Mall, Naco but it was just one or two days, not enough to get a feel for it. I'll be sure to check out Onnos, good suggestion.

There was The Cock's Tail near Blue Mall that closed down along with its related one Murphy's Law, I liked their selection then. I hope there are some equivalents like those to try for cocktails.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks for the additional feedback. I will take a look at those areas in particular Riviera Colonial. I was keen to avoid vehicle commute and looking more at walkable distances 10-15 minutes walking max. Yes, Av. Venezuela did have that vibe, with the table set up. I was with friends visiting so it was not as bad, not as great when solo traveling. I did venture out to the area around Blue Mall, Naco but it was just one or two days, not enough to get a feel for it. I'll be sure to check out Onnos, good suggestion.

There was The Cock's Tail near Blue Mall that closed down along with its related one Murphy's Law, I liked their selection then. I hope there are some equivalents like those to try for cocktails.

If you can dance, I would suggest Museo del Ron and Parada 77, both next to each other, on Isabel la Catolica in the Colonial Zone These are good places to meet people, there are usually lots of single people looking for a partner to dance with. Meringue and Bachata aren't that hard to dance to (says Maria with two left feet). There are a lot of clubs and bars in the Colonial Zone, do be wary of overly friendly Dominicans as there are a lot of chapiadoras and chapidors who hang around these types of areas.

Regarding Riviera Colonial, I would suggest you try somewhere for a few nights before commiting to a long-term rental. The manager is called Ronny, if you are in the area just pop in and ask for him (or PM me for his number) he can point you in the direction of some of the owners who will do a direct deal with you and save commission.

Internations is also having an event on April 6th if you're in town for then, it's Indian Food tasting. Again, these events are a good place to meet people if you're flying solo.

jose949

Oct 29, 2016
If you can dance, I would suggest Museo del Ron and Parada 77, both next to each other, on Isabel la Catolica in the Colonial Zone These are good places to meet people, there are usually lots of single people looking for a partner to dance with. Meringue and Bachata aren't that hard to dance to (says Maria with two left feet). There are a lot of clubs and bars in the Colonial Zone, do be wary of overly friendly Dominicans as there are a lot of chapiadoras and chapidors who hang around these types of areas.

Regarding Riviera Colonial, I would suggest you try somewhere for a few nights before commiting to a long-term rental. The manager is called Ronny, if you are in the area just pop in and ask for him (or PM me for his number) he can point you in the direction of some of the owners who will do a direct deal with you and save commission.

Internations is also having an event on April 6th if you're in town for then, it's Indian Food tasting. Again, these events are a good place to meet people if you're flying solo.
Hahaha, good one, I can relate to the two left feet. I learned a little bachata in a class so I will get to survive, though the Dominican way has a lot of artistic license. Merengue is a different story. I like enjoy music so unless a place is too crowded it might just work out fine. Now that is one thing I have heard caution over quite a bit even seen it but I didn't think it might be as bad in the capital vs the more touristy areas. At least there is always some sort of giveaway.

That's a good suggestion. I will PM you for his number. 1 on 1 deals are always better when vouched for by someone reliable. If I make it down by the 6th I will certainly look up the food tasting. Indian food is quite rare in the DR. Thanks for the excellent suggestions.

One more question, are there any recommended car rentals outside of the airport close to SDE for say a short trip out of SD?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Hahaha, good one, I can relate to the two left feet. I learned a little bachata in a class so I will get to survive, though the Dominican way has a lot of artistic license. Merengue is a different story. I like enjoy music so unless a place is too crowded it might just work out fine. Now that is one thing I have heard caution over quite a bit even seen it but I didn't think it might be as bad in the capital vs the more touristy areas. At least there is always some sort of giveaway.

That's a good suggestion. I will PM you for his number. 1 on 1 deals are always better when vouched for by someone reliable. If I make it down by the 6th I will certainly look up the food tasting. Indian food is quite rare in the DR. Thanks for the excellent suggestions.

One more question, are there any recommended car rentals outside of the airport close to SDE for say a short trip out of SD?
I've only rented once, but it was fine from Best Deal Rent a Car in Boca Chica. Probably about 6 miles from the airport. 809-862-1951. I rented from them probably 18 months ago. No problems. They were recommended to me from another poster on here.

jose949

Oct 29, 2016
I've only rented once, but it was fine from Best Deal Rent a Car in Boca Chica. Probably about 6 miles from the airport. 809-862-1951. I rented from them probably 18 months ago. No problems. They were recommended to me from another poster on here.
Much appreciated, I will look them up closer to when I might need a rental.