La Union, Sosua

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Choosing an apartment online is like choosing a wife online.
Not a great idea.
Come and see for yourself.
Spend a day there hanging out.
Ask questions & observe.
Check out the noise levels in the evening.
Try the public transport, to and fro downtown Sosua.

Best advice to date. So far you've gotten all positive responses BUT, La Union is NOT for everybody. Some areas are relatively quiet but I've driven through there and heard the BIG speakers on the back porches of certain tigeres that blow your ears off. No thanks for me. NEVER.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
So, I will be in Sosua from May 30th for a week and I will go and see this place. So a water heater is about $90? What about an invertor? I have no idea what these things are so I will have a job going to buy them lol.

I now have 3 places to choose from that range in distance from work and price....the cheapest in Sosua, medium price in La Union or expensive in Sosua...I need to hire someone to make the decision for me!

I would love to get an idea of a price for a one bedroom apartment in La Union, with electricity and all included..anyone have an idea?

tropicalsunset32

May 25, 2007
These are local apartments. If you want 24 electricity, buy an invertor. If you wnt hot water, buy a water heater. If you want furniture, buy it as well.

Check the local CompraVenda's for that stuff!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So, I will be in Sosua from May 30th for a week and I will go and see this place. So a water heater is about $90? What about an invertor? I have no idea what these things are so I will have a job going to buy them lol.

I now have 3 places to choose from that range in distance from work and price....the cheapest in Sosua, medium price in La Union or expensive in Sosua...I need to hire someone to make the decision for me!

I would love to get an idea of a price for a one bedroom apartment in La Union, with electricity and all included..anyone have an idea?
I guess you've gone without any responses.
You're probably right about the price of the water heater, and an inverter with batteries could run you from $500 to $5,000 US, depending on size.
I doubt that you will find many 1 bed apartments there.
All the ones I have seen are 2 and 3 bedroom units.
I don't know the prices, but 300 bucks might be a good guess for a 2 bed apt.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I go on Wednesday and I still dont know what to do until I look at all 3 apartments again. The more I think about it, the more i am not keen on La Union....maybe I will change my mind when I see it. I will have to cost it all I suppose.

Rocky, if you know of any good deals on apartments or any recomendations then I would be happy to hear them. Any advice would help so much.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I go on Wednesday and I still dont know what to do until I look at all 3 apartments again. The more I think about it, the more i am not keen on La Union....maybe I will change my mind when I see it. I will have to cost it all I suppose.

Rocky, if you know of any good deals on apartments or any recomendations then I would be happy to hear them. Any advice would help so much.
I meant to write earlier on today with the new info I picked up.
I was there lastnight with a friend, and she tells me that they are virtually all 2 & 3 bed units.
The good news is that they are cheaper than I thought, more like $6,000 rd/month.
As for other apartments to rent around town, I will suggest to you what I suggest to everyone.
Come on down, stay in a hotel for a few days, find exactly what you want.
Seeing's believing and you can always make your best deal in person.
Shopping apartments on the net is so very difficult.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Thanks for that Rocky.

Like I said, I am there every three months and I spent my last trip doing nothing but apartment searching and I have narrowed it down to 3 places....but I wanted to know if there are any places that people living there know about, that I may have missed. La Union sounds promising but I am not commiting myself to anything until I see it next week (well, in 3 days!!)

Shad - Thats true...maybe I will just draw the options out of a hat...Im rubbish at making decisions!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
There are many new apartments that will be finished soon being constructed there, by the same American that is revamping/constructing in Los Charamicos. He is moving fast as a large area has already been cleared in Los Charamicos and those apartments are nearing completion

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
When are they likely to be finished? And how much are they likely to cost? Would be nice to get in touch with the guy who is renting them to find out more.

I rented an apartment in La Union, I paid 3800 peso for a beautiful 3 rooms top apartment.
We only lived there for 8months because we got tired of fighting with all of the parasites that keep stealing my electricity.
I tried everything- even streching the electricity cable over the roof to avoid parasites.
But it was no use, I was fighting against an entire neighbourhood who would like me to pay their electricity bill.
Also we had no power 2 times a day.:bored:

But i tried it, and i must say, at the end it is smarter to rent an "expensive" apartment in sosua.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I rented an apartment in La Union, I paid 3800 peso for a beautiful 3 rooms top apartment.
We only lived there for 8months because we got tired of fighting with all of the parasites that keep stealing my electricity.
I tried everything- even streching the electricity cable over the roof to avoid parasites.
But it was no use, I was fighting against an entire neighbourhood who would like me to pay their electricity bill.
Also we had no power 2 times a day.:bored:

But i tried it, and i must say, at the end it is smarter to rent an "expensive" apartment in sosua.
It's a bit late for this now, but if you're ever in a similar situation, you just tip one of the Edenorte installers 1,000 pesos to move your contador to a location where neighbours no longer have access to the power, after it's passed through the meter..

Thanks for the tip anyway Rocky. If I managed to wright english better, i would tell you a long and hysterical history about my ""Living in La Union" experiment. But you know the drill in this country- so use your imagination.

((Music from TwilightZone)) :paranoid:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have a "Trick Pad" In "La Fe" Section of Santo Domingo!

I just go there to "Take Care Of Business"! It was only 2 blocks from where I worked for 10 years,so I could be there,and at "work" at the same time!:cheeky:;)
It has "Cable",(I steal it) and electricity,I "steal" it too, But that doesn't mean I like the "neighbors" stealing what "Isn't Theirs",or mine either!
Sooooooooooooooooooooo. I go up on the roof,and pull on the cable that they connect to my cable. Soon I hear a hugh CRASH. Their TV falling to the floor???? One can only hope!!! Then I take the electric wires that they connected to mine,and connect it to my "220" line! I thought I could hear light bulbs popping! I can only hope it got their "Fridge" too! If they had just asked,I would have said "Si"! but Dominicans would rather steal than "ask" any day!
The other way to "see" who is stealing your electricity is to go out at night,turn off your meter,and see whose house goes dark! Then you "DO" whatever you think is needed! I prefer,"Vigilante Justice"!!!!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Moderator, this post of CC should be made a sticky along with the other posts that are being preserved as a resource for newcomers