Landlord Issues

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Let me see if I understand this. Someone that pays NOTHING has the right to stay over a ;year but the person with a Valid lease that is PAYING has to leave in TWO months because the landlord tells them he is selling............. Any half ass lawyer will run rings around the landlord in court for a lot longer than two months.....................
Correct.
OP clearly states her contract is up in July.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
An attorney would need to look at the lease to give you proper advice. Evictions are not as easy in the DR as in the US, but if the lease is expired and there is no automatic renewal clause the owner will evict you sooner or later.
She leaves open the Auto clause. And it means nothing anyway. I know a few lawyers that my money would love to be on to extend this..............NO WAY she is out in 2 months with a good lawyer.............

My Sister Lives in Santo Domingo Norte For 3 Years Now Her Rental Contract is Up in July The Owner Wants To Sell The Apartment and Told My Sister To Move Out Does My Sister Have To Leave Since The Contract is Automatically Reneweable?

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
She leaves open the Auto clause. And it means nothing anyway. I know a few lawyers that my money would love to be on to extend this..............NO WAY she is out in 2 months with a good lawyer.............
The automatic renewal means the contract can be quit of both parties after mentioned period in the contract.So if the owner makes use of his rights, the tenant has to go. I do renting over 15 years now and I've seen many people come and go. In all those years only once I needed my lawyer, there are different ways to got an agreement with a renter, some legal, others not so....

Reactions: windeguy

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I guess not a lot of people have went through the DR Court system here. Two months in a DR court is the same as when you here Manana...................A good lawyer will jerk the landlord around for months at a time...........................

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We’re going to settlement on a house in Santo Domingo soon. Her landlord may end up doing what we had to do……pay the tenants to leave.

Reactions: SKY

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
If the lease is up in July and the landlord is wanting to sell, wouldn't it make more sense for her to move? Explain to the landlord that she just needs some time to find another apartment. Wouldn't that make more sense than trying to fight it in court? I don't think I would want to live somewhere that the landlord is trying to sell. Just asking out of curiosity...

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A friend of mine from Spain has Apts and Villas that he rents. He rented a $2000 a month Villa for a ONE YEAR lease. After six months they stopped paying. it took One and half years from that time to get them out and he never got another penny..................

Reactions: Lucifer

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
If the lease is up in July and the landlord is wanting to sell, wouldn't it make more sense for her to move? Explain to the landlord that she just needs some time to find another apartment. Wouldn't that make more sense than trying to fight it in court? I don't think I would want to live somewhere that the landlord is trying to sell. Just asking out of curiosity...
Some just live for the fight

Reactions: Big and NanSanPedro

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
This is why many are afraid of buying a place to rent out and make some income....

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
what's the issue she's just moving find a new place I wouldn't want to stay there things can only get worse

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A friend of mine from Spain has Apts and Villas that he rents. He rented a $2000 a month Villa for a ONE YEAR lease. After six months they stopped paying. it took One and half years from that time to get them out and he never got another penny..................
This past Fri/Sat I walked away from a house that I wanted to buy and waited six months while the owner was "getting the current occupant" out. No such luck for her. Seller is a friend of mine that is involved in multiple constructions in SDE. She is experienced ...well not in his case. I moved quickly to find another house and as it turns out I will come better on the deal in the long run.
My point: Seller knows her way around and SHE can't get it done.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
This past Fri/Sat I walked away from a house that I wanted to buy and waited six months while the owner was "getting the current occupant" out. No such luck for her. Seller is a friend of mine that is involved in multiple constructions in SDE. She is experienced ...well not in his case. I moved quickly to find another house and as it turns out I will come better on the deal in the long run.
My point: Seller knows her way around and SHE can't get it done.

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
The lease expired and landlord doesn't want to renew, because he is selling. He apparently gave proper notice. She should just leave in peace.

Reactions: chico bill

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I have 3 rental properties in the DR they all have check valves for the water that only I know where they are.......never had a problem in 25 years getting rid of or late paying tenents.....when in Rome.....😎

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
FWIW, I've seen "Pensiones" with hasps on the entry door. If you don't pay the rent on time, it gets a lock until you pay. Very effective.

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
She is Moving Out But The Landlord Wants The Last Month Rent EVEN THOUGH She Has 3 Deposits. What is Your Advice?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
She is Moving Out But The Landlord Wants The Last Month Rent EVEN THOUGH She Has 3 Deposits. What is Your Advice?
Was it a 3 month deposit, or 2 months and one month for the lawyer?

She pays the last month's rent, and the landlord is supposed to return her deposit once he inspects the property.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
To make a long story short; Your Sister is in the wrong and the Landlord is in the right here.
She has to honour the contract or she just becomes another lowlife sqatter. All the coments that the landlord will have a dificult and long task to get her out are unfortunately true. It did take me almost 2 years to get a family out of one of my properties.

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
No One is a Squatter She Has Paid Rent Early For the Last 3 Years

She Has Dealt With Rats, Roaches, Bad Neighbors ETC

Landlord Never Helped

Show Me One Dominican Landlord That Has Returned Deposits To a Foreigner

On DR1 The Gringos Are Worse Than The Criminals in These Dirty Streets

XXXXXXXShame

Last edited by a moderator: