Larger sized clothing in DR- only ladies to post

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I have seen larger sized clothing at the pulga in Sosua and at Mundo. And for what I need, size 10 to 12, a huge selection. Once in a while I take a look there and have bought some Ralph Lauren, Hilfinger and DKNY items there. They have tons of stuff alot better quality than what is for sale new in that area.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have seen larger sized clothing at the pulga in Sosua and at Mundo. And for what I need, size 10 to 12, a huge selection. Once in a while I take a look there and have bought some Ralph Lauren, Hilfinger and DKNY items there. They have tons of stuff alot better quality than what is for sale new in that area.

I've never been in a paca store or at a pulga in DR, the one in Santo Domingo on the malecon near Luperon is too intimidating to me. It makes sense that there are all sizes donated. I love searching thrift stores in the US, amazing what you can find.

In our campo, once a week a pickup truck shows up, the back stuffed with pacas loaded with clothing. They set up tables just down the road from us, and people walk from all over to shop. Very cheap. It's one reason I stopped bringing clothing for the neighbors, it's much cheaper there than NJ, and like retiree says, some amazing brands mixed in there.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I would not discount the fact that there are many women - and men - who are expert tailors in the DR. When I was leaving - my cleaning lady - who has a small shop next to her apartment in Villa Mella - presented me with the gift of two beautiful cotton dresses which she had made herself. She had taken my favorite dress - I referred to it as "my precious" since it was over 20 years old, a perfect cut and fit, black and badly in need of a die job for which I had bought the die - and often would just ADMIRE it- rather than wear it, lest I wear it out. The trick is really just in finding the FABRIC - for which one has to go most likely to Sto Dom .. even the fabric which she bought herself, out of the quite meager wages that I paid her- was not quite the very soft cotton of the original "precious"

and now, of course, both the yellow and the pink dresses that she made have also become "my precious"
and so I do not wear them
lest I wear them out

go figure....

but to the point.. if you have some clothes that you like, there will be tailors and seamstresses who can copy them for you.