Largest storm surge in DR

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
True, storms were then named for the saint's day. The only warning system was provided by those lucky few who possessed barometers in their homes, powered by a mechanism made with a cat gut which shrank as the atmospheric pressure dropped, moving a clock hand (You've probably seen them in museums). I read somewhere that the cicl?n San Ze?n was clocked at 933 mbars....

Yes, there was a zoo in La Matica island, which today is not even a shadow of it's former size. If you want to see what Boca Chica looked like before development, go to Caobita beach (10 kilometers south of the town of Barreras, Azua, on the foothills of Loma del Curro). Actually, Caobita is about 10 times the size of Boca Chica, and it is usually deserted, except for a few visitors from Azua on weekends, and some local fishermen from Los Negros and Barreras, Azua.

Thanks, Mirador.

As far as Caobita, aren't you giving away secrets? Do you want throngs of transplanted Santiagueros invading your stomping grounds?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Thanks, Mirador.

As far as Caobita, aren't you giving away secrets? Do you want throngs of transplanted Santiagueros invading your stomping grounds?

Caobita is the real boonies (outback), about an hour drive from the town of Azua, on terribly maintained country roads. I doubt a Santiaguero would make it that far, they are too ?o?os... ;)

Sep 19, 2005
Well, the worse hurricane in DR that I can think of is David in 1979. Reported wind speeds were as high as 200MPH with the storm surge in Santo Domingo at around 14ft, and 36ft waves.

Ok Ive got 14 feet do I hear 15 feet yadda yadda yadda, anyone for 15 feet , come on whos going to give me 15 feet?? do i hear 14.5 feet......14.5 feet ...no one.....14 feet going ONCE..........

bob

Sep 19, 2005
I ahd always thought the storm SURGE was caused by how low the pressure went.....and the really big storms ave a super low pressure. Thus the water levels rose. That in addition to tidal timing and wind direction causes the water to rise as high as it does. I didnt think it was MOSTLY constant wind force that made the surge as someone suggested.

I do know from hunting L I Sound that when the wind blows hard all day long out of the north( like 25 MPH or more) and the tide change is large., and its a low tide... that all the water in the bay and its channels is gone once in a while....and we cant get back to the boat launch!!!!!! till the tide turns.....crazy stuff......

bob

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Jeez, can't even take a few days of family vacation without the kiddies playing... If any of you are looking for the posts about Hurricane David and the Pope's visit, check the "General Stuff" forum. I started a separate thread there with those posts. From hereon out, on this thread and in this forum, keep it just on Environment, Joseito & Mirador.

Keith R
Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Note to OP: as you've already been told, there is no single figure for storm surge in any location. The best you can hope for is an average based on history and models, and those figures are hard to come by and not high-confidence. I might note that unless we do more to protect the DR's reefs, the surge will be worse in the future. Think of them as the island's surge buffers...

Jan 5, 2006
Bob, what happened with Hurricane David was that all the factors that you mentioned came together right as the storm made its approach and landfall on DR. The storm was at its lowest pressure (924mb) and highest wind (200MPH), and it hit a few hours before dawn, just as high tide was rolling in. It was the perfect combination for a worse case scenario, and the results showed it.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Storm surge is caused by the localized low pressure of the cyclone. You can calculate the maximum average water level by adding the theoretical 25ft max to the top of the high tide mark assuming the two coincide. Then there would be wave action on top of that.

so if everything all came together in the worst possible way with 15 foot waves, you could be getting hit with sea water at 40ft above the high tide mark.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hurricane David did massive damage to homes, vegetation, and the electrical distribution system, all along the entire south coast. Immediately after the hurricane, as a mid-level government official, I travelled the entire length of the south coast, and saw thousands of people taking refuge in the few buildings that had withstood the winds, including about two to three hundred people huddled inside an old church near the town of Palmar de Ocoa, Ban?. Everyone there was in good spirits, however, they asked me to arrange for an urgent delivery of drinking water and food. Upon returning to Santo Domingo, tropical storm Frederick struck, causing massive flooding that destroyed the entire highway and road infrastructure of the south coast, including all bridges. Days later, I learned that the people I had visited taking refuge inside the church in Palmar de Ocoa had been swept away when a nearby riverbed suddenly surged into a raging torrent.

tsapp

Jul 18, 2007
Could you tell me how to find someone or group to do a storm surge analysis for the Dominican Republic?

I have been told that there isn't any reliable historical records for flooding and storm surge in the Dominica Republic.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Two people come to mind that may be able to help you find the right resources. The one is Hillbilly and the other is dms3611. I'm sure one or both of them will catch up with this thread sooner or later .. otherwise, send them pm's and be somewhat specific about what you need.