latino as a race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Thankyou!

Guillermo P?rez said:
In time what society will finally understand is that THERE ARE NO RACES.
I've been trying to explain the same thing for months to no avail. The "R" word was a British invention to justify the slave trade to the Pope. Some people though never learn, never learned to learn, and never listen.

Tom aka XR

minerran

Oct 16, 2003
The race discussion again?

XanaduRanch said:
I've been trying to explain the same thing for months to no avail. The "R" word was a British invention to justify the slave trade to the Pope. Some people though never learn, never learned to learn, and never listen.
Tom aka XR

Thought use of the "R---" word was banned from DR1 by Robert?

Anyway, I think the issue keeps coming up because its a fact that there are different groups of people in the world, each having their own cultural identity consisting of language, customs, culture, etc. The people of such groups often have a common set of identifiable physical characteristics also. Because language, culture and customs are important when peoples interact, we need a name to identify such groups. I realize the R word is offensive to some, because of the ways it has been used. But the need from some kind of name still is there, for the reason I gave above.

Perhaps someone can tell us what is the correct word to use for such groups? Ethnic group? (I'm still not clear on why the "R" word is offensive, if not used negatively, but fine.)

Randy (minerran)

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
leo_DR said:
I've been told that the term "Hispanic" and even "Latino" were the US governments way to keep an accurate (or somewhat accurate) account of how many Spanish-speaking citizens it has. (Can anyone back me up on this?)

When I was an international student studying in the US up until today, I always find US race categories interesting and puzzling.

I have deep roots in the D.R. and consider myself puro Dominicano. I dislike the term Hispanic and have never used it to describe myself.

Leo

Correct. The terms "hispanic", and "latino", were totally fabricated by the United States. No person from a Latin American country would ever say they were "latino", or "hispanic". They have regular racial categories in Latin American Countries.

It is only in the United States, that people conform to these vague and rediculous categories. The first, second, and third generation of immigrants for some reason cling to these rediculous categories, and state with pride that they are "Latino", like that actually means something. Often times these individuals cant even speak spanish, and they are more american than anything else.

Its use is mostly political, because other wise "Latino" makes no sense.

1) Its cannot be based on language because then Italian, French, and Portugese speaking immigrants would also be Latino; since the languages are equally as latin.

2) Its not a culture because, "Latin" Americans are people from various countries, with completely different cultures.

3) It most certianly is not a racial or ethnic category, because people from latin american countries are from various different racial and ethnic categories.

This rediculous category was created for several reasons. The most significant one is the race issue. Standards of racial classification are completely different in Latin American countries. In particular the rules regarding what a "black" and "white" person is. When the first waves of Cubans and Puertoricans came to the united States, it was before there was a Hispanic/Latino category, and the majority of Cubans and Puertoricans were putting "white" as their race. But by american standards most Cubans and Puertoricans are far from being white.

In Cuba and Puerto rico they have a much more elastic definition of what a "white" person is; to be white you only have to be of mostly european ancestry, since nearly all people in those countries were very racially mixed. In the United States that is not the case. Here a white person is defined as someone with NO black precursors, the whitest looking american is black so long as they have black ancestry. In Cuba and Puerto rico, "white" people will often have black a parent, grandparents, cousins, etc; as long as your skin is light enough your considered "white".

Since there was no way that the united states could make all these new immigrants conform to U.S rules of racial classification, they decided to make this hispanic/latino category to keep them from innacurately claiming "whiteness".

Imagine if there was no hispanic/latino category, and people like Sammy Sosa would come to united states and put their race as "Indian" (like it says on his passport and birth cirtificate). The US government is simply avoiding bullshit like that.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
ALL The Categories Are Ridiculous!

wventura said:
They have regular racial categories in Latin American Countries. It is only in the United States, that people conform to these vague and rediculous categories. The first, second, and third generation of immigrants for some reason cling to these rediculous categories ...
Where do I check 'human'?

Now. Why hasn't this thread ever been shut down? Who's the moderator I need to send a pointed PM to? Ah Goddess! He's using the 'R' word! If you don't want to start having to edit my posts ...

Tom aka XR Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Kuda

*** Sock-puppet ***
Jan 1, 2002
Gentlemen,

For most, race is defined by man-made borders (like American, Dominican, Mexican). Except in the US and other developed countries, where there's incentive to subdivide. We have all sorts of claims of descrimination. People demand relief and, in order to demonstrate it, you must document it. So you create groups and document progress. But then people don't like the name of their "grouping", because it doesn't distinguish their ancestry. Just the reality of a melting pot.

I'm not Hispanic, I'm Dominican.

I'm not Latino, I'm Puerto Rican

I'm not Christian, I'm Catholic.

I'm not Gay, I'm Transgendered

So then a Dominican, Catholic, She-Male (with a Puerto Rican father) living in New York walks into social services, to get a little slice of American pie. Betcha he/she doesn't say they're white.

One love, one love, let's get together and feel allright.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Here is a race joke for you...

For all of you concerned about race .. here is what I think ..

Three race horses stood in their stalls. One said to the others: "I ran 20 races and I won 15 of them!" he bragged. The next said with a snort, "Well, I ran 30 races and won 25 of them!" Then the third horse spoke up proudly, "Yeah, I ran 41 races and won 39 of them!" This seemed to settle the topic when the horses noticed a Greyhound outside their stalls. The Greyhound said, "I ran 100 races and I won 99 of them." The horses looked at each other in amazement and one gasped, "Wow! A talking greyhound!"

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
jsizemore said:
I speak English as my so far only fluent language. I live in America. I have blonde hair and blue yes but my DNA says all my male ancestors on my fathers side had decended from native Americans that at one point intermingled with Central American Native Americans. So based on ancestry Am I latino?
Wait I am white. But yet my family had to run from the AMerican Army in the 1800s to avoid the trail of tears because we were too indian. Part of them escaped into the mountains of WV and KY and the others went to Oklahoma on the reservation so Am I cherokee. Ouch Then my moms side was lanape from New Jersey and was a chief of the Delawares. But then I am decended from William the Bastard and Sir frances drake was my great uncle 16 generations back.
Oh what the hell I am just me and I am dating a dominicana. How confused will my kids be?
Damn I need a motrin
John

John, If you were black, you'd know it. Ditto for hispanic. First time they called you a Spic.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
True

Basically we are all mutts and when I tell people what I am I say hillbilly which is one level above redneck. But seriously I come from an area where the culture is different from one mountain top to the other.
At sea I share the same berthing compartment with 31 other people and all I care about is do they do thier job and do they take a shower. My mother grew up in the mountians at about the same level of existance as the Dominicanos in the campos.
It is hard for me to fault anyone I meet there because they live like my own hillbilly friends do all summer.
Basically I laugh at people trying to make distinctions because other than food I see no difference in people. I have been all over the world and what I know is inteligence is relative. Given the exact same resources and education I would not fair much better than the average Dominicano.
All I want to do is learn the language and customs well enough to not seem as a stuck up tourista and enjoy life in paradise.
John

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Kuda said:
For most, race is defined by man-made borders (like American, Dominican, Mexican). Except in the US and other developed countries, where there's incentive to subdivide. We have all sorts of claims of descrimination. People demand relief and, in order to demonstrate it, you must document it. So you create groups and document progress. But then people don't like the name of their "grouping", because it doesn't distinguish their ancestry. Just the reality of a melting pot.

Bullshit.
In Mexico people identify as white, indian, mestizo, etc... as their racial category; just like every other Latin American country. These countries have the same type of racial divisions Americans do.

Nobody ever refers to American, Dominican, and Mexican as races; only very ignorant people will do that. This phenomenon only exist in the united states with immigrants from other coutries, who want to proove how they are different. Just like the famous quote that all of us have heard goes...."I'm not black, I'm dominican!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.