Leaving DR with a debt

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
I have a friend who I work with who is leaving DR this weekend and was asking me if has a debt to Claro of around 5,000 pesos, is there any chance he may be detained at the airport for this reason? He had his account under his own passport.He states he has an emergency and is leaving ASAP but doesnt have the money to pay Claro at the moment, he is a lil worried he may have problems getting out.I advised this friend I've never had any problems leaving but then again, I've never had any debt in this country.

If anyone here has any advice for my friend or info or past experiences on this subject, please fill us in as Im actually interested in this dilemna he has..lol

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I would doubt they would detain your friend, but how long has he owed this debt? That may be the bigger question. Claro would have put a " impedimiento de salida (sp?) " on his record. Doubtful but you never know.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If it's just a 5,000 pesos debt with Claro your friend will be able leave the country without problems. As far as I know there must be a court order to apply an 'impedimiento de salida'.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is absolutely no chance of him being detained for this. NONE....................