Leaving thr DR without Cedula

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, and if the foreign passport shows DR as place of birth, it doesn't absolutely mean that person is a Dominican citizen.  At least one parent had to be Dominican, i.e. a child born in DR to two foreigners does not have Dominican citizenship.  

Thus the cedula requirement at immigration. 

Tourist foreigners. If the (mother?) is resident (temp/perm), the child gets the citizenship.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
They did have her passport locked but never asked for cedula

Was she longer than a tourist is allowed in DR? Occasionally my wife is waved through at arrival, especially arriving at night, since she's obviously Dominican, but at departure they always ask her cédula. I don't know how the system works but I would have thought that when someone leaves with a foreign passport and stayed more time than a tourist is allowed they need to either input a residence card number or a (VOTA) cédula number to let him/her pass. 

Jan 7, 2016
Took a cruise out of San Juan, PR last December. When leaving the airport in PUJ for San Juan, had to show BOTH my Cedula and Residency Cards in addition to my U.S. Passport. My wife had to do the same. Fortunately, we were both carrying both cards. The same happened when coming back from San Juan.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes they do. My wife is Dominican but has a Dutch passport. No residence ofcourse and her Dominican passport expired long ago. She has to show her cédula to proof she's Dominican in order not to pay an exit fee at departure or tourist duty at entrance.

Understood and that certainly makes sense citizens who don't use a DR passport.