Leonel a drugdealer?, Vincho a parasite?.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
Ha, politicians they drive everyone crazy, while they keep it cool on top. There is corruption every where in the world in DR is just more obvious!!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Interesting, I was the one attacked here by the sock puppet of arg and I get the mean looks, cool. With Vacara I had a nice discussion going on but this guy arg started pointing out my English Grammar (just in case, English is my 2nd language) as way to diminish my arguments. I told him to state facts and stop playing kids game but hey Extremer es el malo de la pelicula, cool.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Let me put this thread back on track before Freddy Krueger comes with the lock.

ExtremeR position is not that uncommon, since the creation of the republic Dominicans have grown acustomed to see none of their political and social aspirations fullfilled to a minimun. Our politicians have skilfully watered down any dream Dominicans might hold dear.

I'm always questioning people how they feel about the political situation and other aspects of our daily life and is not unusual for Dominicans to say that "this government has not been bad" because at least "they don't steal that much", you know; "of course they still plunder our wealth but they also built the Metro".

It's a sindrome similar to domestic violence, where Dominicans play the rol of the beaten down woman and the politicians are the abusive husband. As a nation we have no selfsteem, we don't see ourselves as people deserving of a better life, "we got what we deserve" is commonly said.

Dominicans don't expect to be provided electricity 24/7, just enough to recharge the batteries, even if that means that many, many people will be in total darkness.

We don't expect plenty running water, just enough to fill the "cisterna", or the "tinaco", or the tank, or a few cans and plastic gallons.

We don't expect nicely paved road, nor roadside lighting, nor clean well equiped hospital, nor efficient gov. offices. This is how things are; we have never seen any better.

We have been conditioned by our leaders -when it comes to social issues- to have tunnel vision, to always expect the worst. No room for national solidarity, everybody have to fend for themselves. These is what allowed Balaguer to hand out "funditas de comida", stripping people off their dignity in the process. That's why Hipolito can walk on the streets of Villa Mella, giving people 2,000 pesos bills. That's why Corporan was selling green plantain at 1 cent per unit, when the real cost was 100 times that.

I hope Dominicans learn how to "dream again", I hope the LA Lakers repeat this season and I hope the Freddy Krueger comment is understood as figuratively speaking. Remember it's almost friday.

Reactions: bienamor

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We have been conditioned by our leaders -when it comes to social issues- to have tunnel vision, to always expect the worst.........

I hope Dominicans learn how to "dream again"

I agree with a lot of this post but remember also it has made your people amazingly resilient. In this respect you really put us foreigners to shame. So yes, it would be good to 'dream again' but in so doing not to take on board the 'softness' of many non-resilient nationalities where dreams flourish.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I agree with a lot of this post but remember also it has made your people amazingly resilient. In this respect you really put us foreigners to shame. So yes, it would be good to 'dream again' but in so doing not to take on board the 'softness' of many non-resilient nationalities where dreams flourish.

Reciliency without education and long term planning is -for the most part- useless, my dear Lambada. Just take a look at the Republique d'Haiti, home to one of the most resilient people on this planet.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
In an article about why the PLD is ahead in the polls the fine economist and historian Bernardo Vega says it all......

La dependencia econ?mica de una proporci?n importante de los votantes, la debilidad de la oposici?n, y una mejor?a en la econom?a nacional, son los factores que podr?an contribuir a que la poblaci?n favorezca con su voto al Partido de la Liberaci?n Dominicana (PLD) en las pr?ximas elecciones, pese a la corrupci?n, el auge del crimen y el narcotr?fico con la complicidad oficial.
Narcotraffic with official complicity

Las d?divas y poca oposici?n favorecen al Gobierno

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Where to start?

We have been conditioned by our leaders -when it comes to social issues- to have tunnel vision, to always expect the worst. No room for national solidarity, everybody have to fend for themselves.

Now that I think most of the people contemplating this issue agree there is a problem, the next step is to find solutions.

How does one deal with corruption and fix our side of Quisqueya?
Que es lo que hay que hacer? Donde se comienza?

I think that one of the biggest obstacles is that no one knows where to start. I think and hope that if given direction and confidence in the existence of a solution the people will work for it.

If anyone here has had experience with this please help, I for one will listen and act.

Mar 1, 2009
I think we are being too hard on ExtremeR. His posts are always very good, excellent advice, on point. He once went through a very rough incident and shared that with us here on DR1, so he knows very well about day to day living in the DR and the effects crime has upon all of us living here, even a part-timer like me.

Besides he always has a good Dominican perspective on things that I don't by virtue of having been absent from the country for so long. If his views bother you, ok move on. You all made your point without having to gang up on the guy.

Personally I found the La Senoras comment's very refreshing since crime and corruption are way too high, but this has been our story since Santana and Baez.

Tranquilo

Mar 1, 2009
Good way's to help arg1118 is by getting involved with group's like Sociedad Civil, Vote Por Ninguno, Alianza Pais,try to help the upstarts like Leonel Pena in La Romana and Petrushka what's her name in Santiago, she's with Cambio Ciudadano. Nothing less than new blood will bring about any measurable change.

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Thanks Lando !

Thanks. I had heard of Sociedad Civil but was not aware of other groups.
I will look into it. Our nation could be so much more than it already is. Imagine if corruption was cut in half or even a 1/3.

BTW: Love your handle... Star Wars FTW

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Good way's to help arg1118 is by getting involved with group's like Sociedad Civil, Vote Por Ninguno, Alianza Pais,try to help the upstarts like Leonel Pena in La Romana and Petrushka what's her name in Santiago, she's with Cambio Ciudadano. Nothing less than new blood will bring about any measurable change.

In my opinion that's the key to get over this hump. As long as PRD, PLD and PRSC remain as the only options to run the country then the pic. won't look pretty. These three organization have too much "dead weigh" to be able to bring any significant change. Bernardo Vega said it well in this piece;

"A juicio del economista e historiador, la presente campa?a electoral carece debates ideol?gicos, ?es decir, cu?l es m?s izquierda o derecho, el PRD o el PLD, los temas de la Refiner?a, la mina de oro, casos de corrupci?n, la Sun Land, las relaciones con Hait?, si nos incorporamos o no a los esquemas de Ch?vez, eso no son temas de discusi?n en la campa?a, no hay ning?n tema importante, que yo sepa?."

Nice link by A. Hidalgo.