Let's set the table

Status
Not open for further replies.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Music said:
I was told once that baso was a cup? Not sure about spelling either let me know someone?

Actually, vaso means glass. Like a glass of water. Sometimes vasos are also made of metal, though. You use them to drink water or juice or whatever. Tazas are the cups in which coffee and cafe au lait is served. They can be the size of the cups you use for American coffee or they can be the small cups used for espresso coffee. For wines, you usually ask for una copa de vino, made of glass and in the shape we are all familiar with. Champagne is also served in copas made of glass. So copa is not really a cup. A cup is a taza.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
so when I used to say un vaso de pinha por favour I was correct?

Okay thanks for clearing it up for me.......
taza- cup, coffee or tea
vaso- a glass drink juice or water
copa- glass of wine
Okay got it!

juancarlos said:
Actually, vaso means glass. Like a glass of water. Sometimes vasos are also made of metal, though. You use them to drink water or juice or whatever. Tazas are the cups in which coffee and cafe au lait is served. They can be the size of the cups you use for American coffee or they can be the small cups used for espresso coffee. For wines, you usually ask for una copa de vino, made of glass and in the shape we are all familiar with. Champagne is also served in copas made of glass. So copa is not really a cup. A cup is a taza.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Music said:
so when I used to say un vaso de pinha por favour I was correct?

Okay thanks for clearing it up for me.......
taza- cup, coffee or tea
vaso- a glass drink juice or water
copa- glass of wine
Okay got it!
I think you just made a spelling mistake. I am taking it you are saying pineapple juice?
Un vaso de pi?a

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Music, you were right if you used the word vaso. You could have simply said "un jugo de pi?a" and they most likely would have brought it to you in a glass or perhaps in a bottle and a glass to pour it in. The reason you spelled it pinha was that you used the Portuguese spelling for the ? sound.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
:laugh: Yes I did it again it's hard sometimes. But with practice I'll remember to think Spanish not Portuguese eventually ;)
Thanks1

juancarlos said:
Music, you were right if you used the word vaso. You could have simply said "un jugo de pi?a" and they most likely would have brought it to you in a glass or perhaps in a bottle and a glass to pour it in. The reason you spelled it pinha was that you used the Portuguese spelling for the ? sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.