lets talk about DR to cuba trip.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I'm Canadian I went to Cuba in 2005, and they only stamped my tourist visa card and not my passport. Is there a reason for this? because as you all know there is no embargo for Canada to Cuba.

I don't know this now but in the past, people with different passports from various countries with cuban stamps were either interrogated at US`immigration or were denied visas. I do not know if they are still this strict with cuban stamped passports.
The cuban authorities simple do not stamp any foreign passports if you do not want them to. However they do stamp domincian passports so dominicans have to bribe like 10 dollars - 20 dollars to not have their passport stamped by cuban authorities. I have heard this from dominicans who have traveled to cuba.
AZB

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I am sure many americans fly/drive into canada, buy an all inclusive package from canada-cuba & then fly/drive back to the US.

wouldn't it be the same if you did US/DR/CUBA?

If you buy an all inclusive package you don't have to spend any money while you are away....it would be boring & you would be cheap for not tipping but definitely possible.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
On the subject of Cuba, Dominicans don't need a visa to visit it, right?

I ask because hubby and I wanna visit Cuba and he does need a visa but the contact person at the Cuban Embassy in Stockholm said that we *both* need a visa, even after me saying that I have double citizenship and from where. I know I have seen somewhere in these forums that we Dominicans buy a tourist card on arrival but the rules might have changed, and I'd like to think that the Embassy people know what they're talking about.

TIA and sorry for hijacking.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I don't know this now but in the past, people with different passports from various countries with cuban stamps were either interrogated at US`immigration or were denied visas. I do not know if they are still this strict with cuban stamped passports.
The cuban authorities simple do not stamp any foreign passports if you do not want them to. However they do stamp domincian passports so dominicans have to bribe like 10 dollars - 20 dollars to not have their passport stamped by cuban authorities. I have heard this from dominicans who have traveled to cuba.
AZB

Ok, yes, that makes sense. Better to not have them stamp the passport otherwise problems could arise later.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dominicans didn't need visas then and I don't think they need visa now. Everyone has to buy a tourist card at the airport and it gets stamped. Somehow the cuban officers like to stamp a dominican passport unless you agree to pay some money under the table.
I do not think american government cares if you go to cuba, just don't do it openly and show it to american authorities. this reminds me of an american group who intentionally went to cuba and insisted to have their passports stamped and then when they returned to USA, they showed their stamps to american authorities at the airport. just to show their protest against the american blockade against cuba. these folks were fined.
American government knows for sure tons of americans visit cuba covertly through many countries.
AZB

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
"One last thing I want to clairfy, it is NOT illegal for a US Citizen to visit Cuba. It is illegal for a US citizen to spend money in Cuba."
Quoting "Carlos": above.

It is impossible to travel to a foreign country and not spend money.

See: travel.state.com

Look around and find the answer. There are several, depending on your circumstances.

it is not impossible if you are being fully sponsored. However, I understand what you may be trying to say: who actually goes into a foreign country and not spend.

it is clear in the state department website..you can visit CUBA w/o US permission if you are fully sponsored

Travel to Cuba

look under fully hosted travelers

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I'm Canadian I went to Cuba in 2005, and they only stamped my tourist visa card and not my passport. Is there a reason for this? because as you all know there is no embargo for Canada to Cuba.

They did the same for me when i went, what they told me was, i will have less hassle when i go to the states without the Cuban stamp!:ermm:

takoman

Dec 16, 2006
Credit Card Charges in Cuba

Have any United Staters taken the Emily Tour? I have heard that there is no problem on the Cuban end - entering with a US passport they just stamp a seperate page.... and that for the US customs etc, they just track your credit card transactions... so has anyone done this tour? Any experiences? You can PM me if you don't want to get busted ...

This - I know- would be a really great opportunity for a lot of USers who really want to visit Cuba-- assuming that there is really no difficulty.
As far as credit card charges in Cuba being traced, I don't believe that credit cars issued by U.S. banks are accepted in Cuba

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
US$20 is what Immigration charges not to stamp your passport when you leave the DR and the same when you return. If you are going to Cuba and have a US passport they are happy to pocket the money and forget the stamp.

Cuban authorities only look at your passport and run it through their scanner. The stamp goes on your tourist visa.

I just posted a video on the classic cars in Havana on YouTube, first time I have put anything there. If you are interested, you can see it at
YouTube - CARS OF HAVANA 2009

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
They did the same for me when i went, what they told me was, i will have less hassle when i go to the states without the Cuban stamp!:ermm:

Yes this happened to a cousin from Canada when he got a job transfer to the USA. The US immigration saw a Cuba stamp (he would spend months at a time in Cuba..had a girlfriend there) and he had problems. Cant recall if he was refused entry or not. But will find out.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
A "friend" of mine (*cough cough*) is a US citizen and went to Cuba. She was very worried about the Cuban immigration official stamping her passport so she politely reminded him not to. He rolled his eyes at her and said, "You're not the first American to come through here." This was back in the day before they had scanners (2002).

This "friend" had the gap in her passport and US immigration officials did not notice or ask.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006

They do this, so you won't have any difficulties if you at a later stage want to travel to the US

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
You can also fly to Cuba via Port au Prince; there is a weekly charter flight lfor Santiago de Cuba (and further connection to la Habana) on Sunday afternoon, with return to PAP also (evidently...) on Sundays. Being a charter, it is cheaper the longer in advance you reserve and purchase tickets - if I recall correctly ranging from around USD 280 for three weeks in advance to USD 360 if less than one week in advance. Connection to Havana is about USD 150 additional. In the addition you have exit fee from Cuba of CUP 20 (convertible Cuban peso).

If the issue of illegal spending is the use of USD, take another currency (EUR, CAN$) - that also saves you the 10% surcharge levied on exchanging USD