Let's Talk Motorcycle Safety

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Controlling motorcyclists in DR is about as realisitc as training people not to throw garbage to the wayside.
But I do appreciate the concern and impact this thread is having.
In years past I was a recreational off road biker..... and a dam good one, if I must say so myself.
Last year I bought a CX1000 x 200cc Chinese made wannabee bike.
I made it to the first gate before I ended in a pile up with the fence.
Big difference between being agile and 30 and a foolish old 75year old who thinks he still has it. (Only in my case, of course)

The bike is up for sale, I am enjoying my new walking shoes and exercise.
Kenny Rogers said it ''you gotta know when to hold them, when to fold them, when to walk away" that's where this lyric ends.

Keep up the thread, its worth the time and effort.

Russell

May 5, 2007
Controlling motorcyclists in DR is about as realisitc as training people not to throw garbage to the wayside.
But I do appreciate the concern and impact this thread is having.
In years past I was a recreational off road biker..... and a dam good one, if I must say so myself.
Last year I bought a CX1000 x 200cc Chinese made wannabee bike.
I made it to the first gate before I ended in a pile up with the fence.
Big difference between being agile and 30 and a foolish old 75year old who thinks he still has it. (Only in my case, of course)

The bike is up for sale, I am enjoying my new walking shoes and exercise.
Kenny Rogers said it ''you gotta know when to hold them, when to fold them, when to walk away" that's where this lyric ends.

Keep up the thread, its worth the time and effort.

Russell

Ouch! Sorry to hear that What is a "CX1000 x 200cc "

May 5, 2007
Since it's Final Jeopardy I'll go with "What is brake cable" Alex. I'd also throw in gray matter in the delivery boy's squash, Alex,

Que un pais de maravillas! :hurt:

Realize this is a very old thread but just noticed it: Why would there be a "Brake cable" on a disc brake set up? Maybe missing caliper, piston and hose assembly but cable?

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
yes, I would agree that in the bit cities in Colombia the helmet law is enforced. The exceptions can be in or close to the barrios and quick rides to the local food store or similar. Take caution if you meet a rider with a fully covered helmet..

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
What's that big blue expanse thing on the W & NW of Colombia?
The beaches on the west coast of Colombia are generally **** in the areas where one might want to live,the beaches in the northwest are beautiful and even better than the DR but they are in a very remote part of the country with very limited services.

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
From Tom0901 earlier.
Re: Because the laws are enforced by a legitimate police force,I've lived in both Colombia and the DR and Colombia is 1000% closer to being a 1st world country than the DR,sad but true. I only chose the DR over Colombia to live because of the beach life,it's the only thing this country has over Colombia,the only thing.end quote

I suspect you have nailed the reasons for the different attitudes. Thank-you

on a side note Tom....I am curious and was under the impression that there was significantly more violence in Columbia...even in the post escobar era. I hope that you are saying it is no longer the issue it was 20 years ago. I would love to visit.
cheers

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
16 yrs living and working in the DR and almost 4 now in Colombia.
In my opinion, DR still has better beaches. I have yet to find any in Colombia that compare to Rincon, Juanillo, Las Aguilas etc.

I have ridden all over Colombia many times. It's safe and spectacular riding, most ADV riders will tell you the best in South America for many reasons and I agree. The laws are enforced in the cities, not so much in the small towns, with many riding without papers and no helmets etc.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Realize this is a very old thread but just noticed it: Why would there be a "Brake cable" on a disc brake set up? Maybe missing caliper, piston and hose assembly but cable?

Very, very common here. As well as removing rear lights.

No front brakes, because "you'll fall down if you have front brakes" Seriously.

No rear lights, because "too many lights" with a bad (or missing battery) "makes the motor run bad or not at all."

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
From Tom0901 earlier.
Re: Because the laws are enforced by a legitimate police force,I've lived in both Colombia and the DR and Colombia is 1000% closer to being a 1st world country than the DR,sad but true. I only chose the DR over Colombia to live because of the beach life,it's the only thing this country has over Colombia,the only thing.end quote

I suspect you have nailed the reasons for the different attitudes. Thank-you

on a side note Tom....I am curious and was under the impression that there was significantly more violence in Columbia...even in the post escobar era. I hope that you are saying it is no longer the issue it was 20 years ago. I would love to visit.
cheers

The Colombians still have more fear of violence than other places. They don't think I a gringo should walk on the street alone because of fear of violence, but I don't see it. A program the other night on Colombian TV was talking about the number of kidnap victims is almost the same as during the years of the FARC.
Der Fish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The beaches on the west coast of Colombia are generally **** in the areas where one might want to live,the beaches in the northwest are beautiful and even better than the DR but they are in a very remote part of the country with very limited services.

Barranquilla and Cartagena both have large expanses of beaches, but the Colombians don't use them. I like to tell them that if that beach was in Miami it would be full of people. One could walk across the people stepping form one butt to the next without ever stepping on the sand, but people find that truth difficult to accept until I show them fotos.
Der Fish

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Barranquilla and Cartagena both have large expanses of beaches, but the Colombians don't use them.

I would disagree...

I lived in Cartagena for almost 3 years on the beach in Marbella.
Boca Grande, Laguito, Castillo Grande all had plenty of people on the weekends, with Bocagrande and Laguito also busy weekdays.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Greg Bradshaw:

Colombia is an amazing country to visit but a few things to consider before deciding to go:
- you should speak Spanish or someone who goes with you speaks Spanish
- do not stick out like reading maps out on the street etc. Avoid to dress like some American tourists like to dress when going on vacation. Avoid printed t-shirt/shirts etc. No one should be able to spot that you are a tourist from distance :)
- If you do not speak much Spanish. Try not be loud in public. Just try to melt in.
- Cartagena is very touristic so you may want to start there on your first trip. You will hear plenty off other tourists speaking English and you would probably feel comfortable. In other big cities your whole stay might pass without you hearing English speaking people
- your look. This is harder to do anything about (except clothing) but if you are very blond and tall you would stick out. Besides that you have all different colors in Colombia.

I felt like you before my first trip to Colombia (that I have to be prepared any second that something was going to happen). It is not like that in my opinion if you apply the things I wrote above.

Travelling on the countryside requires a lot of research and in general I would advice against it if you are not an experienced traveler. I do not mean a 30 minutes bus trip to a local river (they are fine) but more longer trips in areas where it has been problems in the past

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Let's Talk Motorcycle Safety was the topic of this thread. Did someone change it and I didn't get the memo?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's Talk Motorcycle Safety was the topic of this thread. Did someone change it and I didn't get the memo?

You are right, it's gone a little sidewards, partly my fault, I thought this was an OT thread.

I'll make sure it stays on topic from here on in :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Brilliant explanation of an important and often misunderstood riding technique made by a MotoCaribe Alumni.

This would have saved me in a crash some years ago when I got into a turn I did not know was a radical decreasing radius, reverse-camber turn.

[video=youtube_share;gPE67XqGsV4]https://youtu.be/gPE67XqGsV4[/video]

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
This would have saved me in a crash some years ago when I got into a turn I did not know was a radical decreasing radius, reverse-camber turn

Avenida Espana coming From BC around the military base is a great example. buddy of mine made it about 3/4 around before he touched the wall, no damage to the ducate but broke his leg.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Please tell him NOT to dismount in the dr while filling up.
The risk of being lynched by an angry mob of motoconchos is MUCH greater than that of going up in flames. ;)