Let's try it again, Hugo

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Gringo Carlos alleges that Hugo Chavez engages in abusive trade practices with the DR, etc.

drbill et al agree.

Has anyone else noticed this?

REALLY stay on topic!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Can we start off by asking Gringo Carlos for the sources of these
abusive trading practices by Chavez towards the DR. From there we take off and REALLY stay on topic. Promise.:)

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Send him a PM and tell him we are waiting for his input to this earth shattering dilemma and we want the SOURCE........

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Of course they do. Venezuela is bigger than the DR and has lots of oil.
By definition they engage in abusive trading practices toward the DR.
That has anyway been the unaltered Latin American logos of the last century, so they should stick with it.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-Who can predict the future prices of oil ?
-No one...

-Who can predict the future exchange rate RD$/US$ ?
-No one...

Those who pretend they can are just abusing our credulity...

When one country (RD) is borrowing, it is always a risk, because of those 2 factors... It is almost poker...

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
drbill, I NEVER said that Hugo is involved in abusive trade practices. READ MY POST AGAIN. A.Hidalgo, read the newspapers. This oil deal is reported on at least a weekly basis.

My point is not that Hugo is a bad guy, but that the folks running the DR are friggin IDIOTS. Starting with Wimpy in Banco Central. And no, it AIN'T poker.

Would you, in your private life, choose not to pay for your gasoline consumption because gas prices were high for the past 8 or 10 months, and just let the charges pile up? Heck no. No sane person would.

Do you do the same thing at the supermarket? Charge the food, eat the food, schitt the food, and still have the charges sitting there, charging you interest a year from now?? Heck no!

You would bite the bullet, pay for your gas, and figure out how to use less until the price came down. Trade your SUV for a smaller car, or use a bus once in awhile if possible.

Earth shattering dilemma, Rick Snyder? Save your PM's because I don't bother with them. What is earth shattering about yet another act of stupidity by any Dominican government? Hugo Chavez is a genius in figuring out how to lock in a high sales price for his low-quality thick oil, and the Dominicans are chumps in jumping at his deal.

And Squat, oil is bought and sold in terms of US $, so that part of your equation goes out the window.

The people in government just wanted to avoid the screaming from the streets from people who couldn't buy gasoline, because the government is using their tax revenues for other, more important things such as a Metro project. Diandino has to get paid back, right?

As far as getting off-topic, if someone wants to bash another country, or change the subject, get your own topic. Mine is to talk about the amazing stupidity of ANY dominican politician, especially those with control of the country's money and/or credit.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I will include stupidity of a (any) country's leaders when it comes to using credit when it comes to using available cash for things that are luxuries, and needing to use credit for your necessities. Example, using your limited cash to buy cigarettes and lottery tickets, and then going to the compraventa so you can buy milk for your baby and so that you can pay your rent.

Another example, using your tax revenues to build a Metro and to pay bureaucrats RD$600,000 a month, and then borrowing money to buy gasoline for the country, because you have no cash left to pay for the gas.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
hey, GringoCarlos, I think you are forcing an open door...

Borrowing is always bad... Just like you mentioned yourself in your supermarket example... Dominican politicians are very selfish and quite corrupted, we knew it already... I don't think they are stupid, I think they are serving their own selfish private interests...

You are right in what you say, but you make it sound like it's big news... I think it's just more of the same inherent latino corruption among people in power...

However, going in your direction, I would add that the Dominican Gvt took advantage of the rising price of oil last year, to discretly rise their share of tax on oil products, such as gasoline & gasoil... But I don't see this a a foolish act... It is more of a cynical act, manipulating public opinion into believing gas price at the pump is ONLY increased because of international oil price and NOT because of Gvt greed...

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
GC, you're preaching to the choir here.

Deeply sorry if my paraphrasing offended you.

Poor people (and poor countries) just can't negotiate the best terms with the prestamistas, plenty of bottom-feeders out there, nothing new.

Dominican politicians: Poor? Dumb? Evil? Whole other issue.

This is/was about Chavez, if I read it correctly.

A steady supply of combustible is a good thing socially and politically, too.

You must know that they're also borrowing heavily for the Metro, too.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot of truth spoken here, guys....Chavez has his eyes set on being in power vor decades.....Venezuela's middle class is vastly outnumbered by the poor who are receiving billions in much needed and, until now never spent on them at least, dollars in oil income for schools, hospitals and housing....he will last for a long time.

And he knows that he can buy the DR refinerary and keep the DR paying (and extend his power) for years to come....same for Cuba....and others...

Like getting hooked on crack for a nation to take oil on the cuff...

HB

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Irrespectiveof the financial impetus created by Chavez, hisgoal is to dominate Latin America through his control of the local petroleum market. He will offer any terms to place himself in a favorable light in seeking his dream of power.
Additionally, his rhetoric, vis-a-viz the US is a calculated endeavor to further demote and defer the power base "previously" occupied by that nation. The way things are going, he won't have very far to go to achieve his goal.
Just watch out for his next move. It'll be worse than the World Bank and the IMF combined.
The pity of it all is that neither the arrogant simpletons in Washington nor in Santo Domingo can see it coming.

Texas Bill

G

gary short

Irrespectiveof the financial impetus created by Chavez, hisgoal is to dominate Latin America through his control of the local petroleum market. He will offer any terms to place himself in a favorable light in seeking his dream of power.
Additionally, his rhetoric, vis-a-viz the US is a calculated endeavor to further demote and defer the power base "previously" occupied by that nation. The way things are going, he won't have very far to go to achieve his goal.
Just watch out for his next move. It'll be worse than the World Bank and the IMF combined.
The pity of it all is that neither the arrogant simpletons in Washington nor in Santo Domingo can see it coming.

Texas Bill
Good god man. What the hell is it that your trying to say. If you're trying to imply that he's a regional bully then you should exclude any references to the US, the IMF, and the world bank.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
As Hillbilly indicated he has the numbers in terms of the percentage of the poor in Venezuela's population. We may agree or disagree with Chavez, but that sector of the population is receiving benefits that traditionally it never got.

The PetroCaribe arrangement with the DR and other caribbean nations is just one step in the spread of his influence in the region. There is a new kid in the block, take notice US, IMF,WB.

The power of oil transcends ideology.

G

gary short

You said it as far as I'm concerned. Chavez is looking out for the people and nationalizing what should be owned by the people for the people.....generating income for the people and leaving the old landlords in the lurch.........is that wrong???????

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You said it as far as I'm concerned. Chavez is looking out for the people and nationalizing what should be owned by the people for the people.....generating income for the people and leaving the old landlords in the lurch.........is that wrong???????
I guess it's not wrong.... let's see what happens when the pumps start to dry up.

Could be tomorrow or a hundred years from now, but nothing last forever.

-NALs

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I guess it's not wrong.... let's see what happens when the pumps start to dry up.

Could be tomorrow or a hundred years from now, but nothing last forever.

-NALs

Same could be said of any other oil producing nation.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Et Al--

Petroleum has become a tool of Foreign Policy by many nations possessing same.
Look at Iran, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Libya, indonesia, and many others of the OPEC variety.
These nations are using the oil they have to presure other nations not having same to force aeements with their foreign policies, which in some instances are contrary to previous stands in the international mileau of politics.
Chavez is betting the other latin Countries will be so dependent on his "largess" that they will follow his lead; and he may just be right.
How many of the Latin Countries, besides Mexico, have the petroleum reserves to resist? Maybe Columbia.
What people fail to see is the political and economic maneuvering that is going on to capture the following of all Latin Countries.
Gary-- the references to the World Bank and the IMF are significant (I may be on the wrong thread on this ) in that these organizations have alienated most of Latin America by their manner of operation, constantly encouraging countries to take out loans they can't afford without making more in the future to sustain both their economy and the debt load incurred. It's a "Catch 22" situation.
Chavez is dangling the "carrot" and LA is hungering after it.

Texas Bill

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Gary et al: the poor are finally getting their just deserts you say?
I guess that's an AK-47? A million of them?
I'll agree with on all the striped pants sissies in the IMF, WB, US State, etc., etc.
But C'MON! He's simply mobilizing the barriio jackals to do a Latino Napoleon number on everything below Florida and the Rio Grande.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tuan may well be right here. The reality of Venezuela's division of the oil spoils closely relates to the division of the DR sugar spoils. A tiny few were "in on it" and thousands were not. In fact thousands (tens of thousands, if you will) were totally alienated from the development process...

This has now come to a head in Venezuela with Chavez and perhaps in the DR with the PLD??? Don't know yet. However, it is not true that Chavez has nationalized the oil industry, that was done decades ago!!..

Regarding the DR, remember this has to relate to the DR, the OP was concerned about taking oil on credit. Spend now and pay later policies were what he was criticizing and rightly so , I do believe....

Later folks.

HB

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Tuan may well be right here. The reality of Venezuela's division of the oil spoils closely relates to the division of the DR sugar spoils. A tiny few were "in on it" and thousands were not. In fact thousands (tens of thousands, if you will) were totally alienated from the development process...

This has now come to a head in Venezuela with Chavez and perhaps in the DR with the PLD??? Don't know yet. However, it is not true that Chavez has nationalized the oil industry, that was done decades ago!!..

Regarding the DR, remember this has to relate to the DR, the OP was concerned about taking oil on credit. Spend now and pay later policies were what he was criticizing and rightly so , I do believe....

Later folks.

HB

"Pay now and pay later policies" oh my gosh that's the same tune that those bastion of capitalism practice that is the IMF, WB, US, Europe et al.