Ley de Lemas

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Actually right now I DO support Decamps, because he's antagonizing Hippo....

my point exactly - i believe three million voters believe the same.

i was in cotui last sunday when the pld were having their 'caravan' between there and san francisco.
within cotui, you could see the people are tired of politics, and there really wasn't that much enthusiasm about the line of purple vehicles - but when the day comes, i am sure they would rather vote for hatuey than leonel.
you, suarezn, being from cotui, would have to admit that is true.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
mondongo said:
bochinche, which pie....and who much of it have you been promised? I hope I am mis-interpretting you cause if I am not then ......tsk....tsk....tsk

....guilty.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
bochinche said:
i was in cotui last sunday when the pld were having their 'caravan' between there and san francisco.
within cotui, you could see the people are tired of politics, and there really wasn't that much enthusiasm about the line of purple vehicles - but when the day comes, i am sure they would rather vote for hatuey than leonel.
you, suarezn, being from cotui, would have to admit that is true.

Actually the reason why there was not a lot of interest in a PLD meeting is because unfortunately Cotui is PRD (white) country. The PRD always wins over there...even during Balaguer times. With both Hatuey and Sanchez Baret being from there the PRD is well "represented".

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
suarezn said:
Actually the reason why there was not a lot of interest in a PLD meeting is because unfortunately Cotui is PRD (white) country. The PRD always wins over there...even during Balaguer times. With both Hatuey and Sanchez Baret being from there the PRD is well "represented".

- your explanation is redundant. i assumed that being from cotui, you already knew that.
that is why i suggested you knew people there would readily support hatuey rather than leonel.

Apr 26, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
This is not how a stable democracy is created and survives bochinche. You have a few months to study, yet. All is not lost.
Tom aka XR

So glad we're not being pedantic Americans today.

If it could only be just like the Iowa caucuses. There's a little thing called 500 years of Dominican history to remember, though. As I recall from school, it's been a fairly bloody and repressive 500 years. And, since Trujillo's time, it's all been about lambonism. "Lambon or die" if you will. (XR is not Dominican, and if he were, he would represent the 1/10 of 1% of the population that would not lambon to get something if offered.)

Remember, the DR is NOT a democracy. Rather, it's been trying to develop one. You have to crawl before you can walk.

Leonel understands this, and I suspect he is aware of the criticism that he is weak and will address it in the coming months. But I can't condemn Bochinche out of hand. For Leonel it was all about cronyism, patronage and constituant service too, just like the PRD. He did need to acquire power, after all. The difference was that Leonel and his people had the capability to take 10 minutes a day to actually govern the country. Hippo and his crew won't, or can't. The question is, then, what would a Hatuey administration look like in regard to competence, and is there any reason to believe that Hatuey would focus on anything other than money and power (which is all the PPH can think about)?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
For Leonel it was all about cronyism, patronage and constituant service too, just like the PRD. He did need to acquire power, after all. The difference was that Leonel and his people had the capability to take 10 minutes a day to actually govern the country. Hippo and his crew won't, or can't. The question is, then, what would a Hatuey administration look like in regard to competence, and is there any reason to believe that Hatuey would focus on anything other than money and power (which is all the PPH can think about)?
PR I am not so naive as to not know this. I have also been very very deep into high level politics in the U.S. and all I can say is that the DR's political cronyism, patronage, etc. is not as unique to the DR as you might think. You'd be surprised.

Here at least though you and a few others a asking questions about what shape various administrations might take. Your post reflects what I have seen as an astute political observer in terms of Leonel's personality and actions in office vs. others. This is good. What I find disconcerting isn't so much the blatantness of the graft, but the complete inability of the vast majority of the voters to connect that rape to their own poverty and lack of opportunity.

I continue to post about this subject from a very idealized standpoint because to start from reality won't lift anyone who's reading from where they are to a higher plane.

"Shoot for the moon, hit the horizon!"

Tom aka XR