licence

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
You are not supposed to be driving on your own with a learner's permit. You are supposed to be accompanied by a fullly licensed person at all times (you are supposed to be learning, right?).

OK, let me get this straight...

--You take your road test and pass, thereby PROVING YOU CAN DRIVE.

--You are then given a "learners permit".

--You keep this "learners permit" for 45 days until they have created your actual "drivers license".

--Even though you don't have to take any more tests, for that 45 day period, you cannot drive without another fully licensed driver in the car because although you have already passed the drivers test proving you can drive, you are still supposed to be learning????

--Even though I have driven my entire adult life in the United States, I have to have a fully licensed driver in the car with me while I drive for 45 days AFTER I pass my road test here.

--This is in a country where no one stops for red lights, one way streets mean nothing and the majority of people driving around dont even have a license or insurance.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME HERE PLEASE????

Larry

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Larry,

To get the ?learner?s permit?, you don?t take a driving test, only a multiple choice test on the computer. This is in Spanish.

I can only tell my experience with the DR License. I got the first license, was never told you needed anyone with you to drive, in fact I was told you don?t.

I went back in 46 days, took a driving test with an automatic car and got a license with no restrictions of any kind.

I had my lawyer take me to get the license, and had no problems of any kind.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Larry,

To get the “learner’s permit’, you don’t take a driving test, only a multiple choice test on the computer. This is in Spanish.

I can only tell my experience with the DR License. I got the first license, was never told you needed anyone with you to drive, in fact I was told you don’t.

I went back in 46 days, took a driving test with an automatic car and got a license with no restrictions of any kind.

I had my lawyer take me to get the license, and had no problems of any kind.

Sky, thank you. I went through the process for my cedula and it should have been ready a long time ago but because of a stupid screw up at immigration, I am still waiting. I assume it will be ready soon (hopefully). I am hoping Fabio Guzmans office will get it straightened out for me soon as it is a very small and easily explained screw up, and my cedula which should have taken less than 3 months to obtain has now taken a full 6 months.

As soon as it is ready, I want to acquire a valid license ASAP as I own a car here and have a full insurance policy but a New York license. I also intend to do a lot of driving and have all the time in the world to do so, but no Dominican license.

I am sure you can see my dilemma and understand my frustration...

Larry

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
According to Ley 241 DE TR?NSITO DE VEH?CULOS

T?TULO III
LICENCIA DE CONDUCTOR
Cap?tulo I

Art. 30.- Personas exentas del requisito de licencia.
a. Toda persona que est? debidamente autorizada para conducir un veh?culo
de motor en cualquier pa?s extranjero donde se exijan requisitos similares a
los establecidos por esta Ley para la concesi?n de licencias de conductor, y
que posea y lleve consigo una licencia autorizada y en vigor en dicho pa?s
extranjero, estar? autorizada para conducir tal tipo de veh?culos de motor en
la Rep?blica Dominicana, durante los primeros noventa (90) d?as desde su
arribo.

b. Toda persona que poseyere una licencia de conductor de las se?aladas en
el inciso anterior, podr? solicitar y obtener una licencia de conducir, sin
cumplir otro requisito que el pago de los derechos correspondientes,
presentando una certificaci?n del representante diplom?tico o consular del
pa?s de donde procede dicha licencia, acreditado en la Rep?blica
Dominicana, certificando que la referida licencia es v?lida, y un certificado
m?dico expedido seg?n se dispone en el inciso a) del art?culo 32.

As can be seen by the law you are able to drive on a foreign license for 90 days from the date of arrival in country.

It also states that your consulate can verify your foreign license and along with medical papers will allow you to obtain a Dominican license without completing other requirements.

Rick

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Address of this office??

How about this? From some content that is just about to appear on DR1 in the next couple of days.

-----------------------

Getting a Driver?s License in the Dominican Republic.

Getting your license in the Dominican Republic is a straightforward process. Bring your cedula and a copy of the document with you to La Direccion General de Transito Terreste (DGTT), which is the equivalent of the department of motor vehicles. Make sure you have studied the driver?s manual before you take your driving exam. Next, you must pay taxes in order to receive your license:

Driver?s License: RD$455
Exam: RD$200
Medical Exam RD$40
Classification Fee: RD$75
Taxes: RD$20
Cost of Forms and Services: RD$85
Total: RD$855

At DGTT go to window # 1 and present your cedula and one copy, and pay for the driver?s license. Next, go to window #2 and present your cedula, along with the receipt of payment of taxes, and the receipt of payment for the driver?s license. Thirdly, go to window # 5 and present your cedula with the previous receipts, so that the information can be checked to make sure it?s accurate.

After that, present all previous documents to window # 6, in order to take the written exam, and wait until you?re called.

Following the written exam you?ll be asked to take a road test. Once you?ve taken your exam, and you?ve passed, continue to window #8 and present all the documents in order to take your photo, and to declare all pertinent information.

Before you have finished, check all information, and make sure that it is accurate. Once you have confirmed the accuracy of all information, you will receive your Dominican driver?s license.

Note: Driver?s tests in the Dominican Republic are done in standard vehicles, i.e. vehicles with stick shifts. You can opt to take your test in an automatic vehicle, but it will be listed as a restriction on your license. If you choose to take your test with a standard vehicle, but don?t own one, you can rent one at DGTT for RD$300.

For foreigners wishing to obtain a Dominican driver?s license there is a separate, but similar process. First, foreigners must present their valid licenses from their country of origin with a certification from the Dominican embassy or consulate offices, verifying the validity of the license. Then take this document to the department of foreign relations and legalizations (Cancilleria) and have the document legalized there. Provide photocopies of all documents, present to DGTT, and follow the steps outlined above. The taxes for foreigners are different, and are listed below.

Driver?s License: RD$455
Exam: RD$200
Medical Exam: RD$40
Classification Fee: RD$75
Taxes: RD$70
Cost of Forms and Services: RD$85
Additional Taxes: RD$20
Total: RD$925

If you are in the country legally and have not overstayed your tourist visa (15 days) you will be able to drive using your foreign license.

If you wish to get a Dominican driver?s license, be aware that the United States Embassy will NOT validate your license. If you still want a Dominican driver?s license, and your embassy doesn?t validate, you will first need a cedula before you can get a license. Assuming you have a cedula, you will have to visit the Department of Motor Vehicles and take a driving test.

Most European Embassies, however, will validate licenses. If your country?s embassy does validate your license, the Department of Motor Vehicles requires the following:

1) A valid license from a foreign country
2) Certification from the foreign country's consular or diplomatic mission in the DR stating that the foreign license is valid
3) Authentication of the certification at the Dominican Ministry of Foreign Affairs (La Cancilleria)
4) Passport, valid for at least a year from the time of the application with residency visa or work permit or cedula
5) Payment of fees for medical exam, blood test and license at Banco de Reservas.
6) Medical exam and blood test results

Does anyone know the exact address of this office in Santo Domingo? Also has any of this info changed recently? Thanks.......

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
Can someone get this straight!

First- I go to the Dominican Consulate in Toronto to get my Canadian drivers license translated and authenticated.
Second-I go to the Chanceleria in Santo Domingo to notorize this document.
Third-I go to DGTT with those documents, pay the fees and get my Dominican drivers license WITH OUT PASSING ANY SORT OF EXAM!

Is this correct???

According to Ley 241 DE TR?NSITO DE VEH?CULOS

T?TULO III
LICENCIA DE CONDUCTOR
Cap?tulo I

Art. 30.- Personas exentas del requisito de licencia.
a. Toda persona que est? debidamente autorizada para conducir un veh?culo
de motor en cualquier pa?s extranjero donde se exijan requisitos similares a
los establecidos por esta Ley para la concesi?n de licencias de conductor, y
que posea y lleve consigo una licencia autorizada y en vigor en dicho pa?s
extranjero, estar? autorizada para conducir tal tipo de veh?culos de motor en
la Rep?blica Dominicana, durante los primeros noventa (90) d?as desde su
arribo.

b. Toda persona que poseyere una licencia de conductor de las se?aladas en
el inciso anterior, podr? solicitar y obtener una licencia de conducir, sin
cumplir otro requisito que el pago de los derechos correspondientes,
presentando una certificaci?n del representante diplom?tico o consular del
pa?s de donde procede dicha licencia, acreditado en la Rep?blica
Dominicana, certificando que la referida licencia es v?lida, y un certificado
m?dico expedido seg?n se dispone en el inciso a) del art?culo 32.

As can be seen by the law you are able to drive on a foreign license for 90 days from the date of arrival in country.

It also states that your consulate can verify your foreign license and along with medical papers will allow you to obtain a Dominican license without completing other requirements.

Rick