Lifestyle development in Cabarete

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
I accidentally liked "windeguy's" this post,
I support any investment In Cabarete 100% and am tired of the this constant bashing of anything positive for Cabarete. Cabarete noticias and its cronies are responsible for a lot of lost opportunities for Cabarete and its population that craves employment.
The damage these 3 as.h.les have done to Cabarete is unimaginable, in comparison it makes Canoa look like a saint...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I support any investment In Cabarete 100% and am tired of the this constant bashing of anything positive for Cabarete. Cabarete noticias and its cronies are responsible for a lot of lost opportunities for Cabarete and its population that craves employment.
The damage these 3 as.h.les have done to Cabarete is unimaginable, in comparison it makes Canoa look like a saint...

That is OK, you can like illegal developments if you want to. I was only posting news and not my opinion on illegal construction. Canoa looking like a saint is funny. Word is he is going to run again for mayor of Cabarete.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012

I agree..ok the La Boca project was killing the nature and maybe access to La Boca so that had to stop but this.... Gay-Crosier should focus on upgrade his hotel to rentable standard.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Buildings over a certain height near the water in Cabarete can have a negative effect on the winds that made Cabarete famous for water sports. Everyone has to make their own decisions on if the ends justify the means when you evaluate construction like the Lifetstyles Resort.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Personally, I think Cabarete needs an injection of "something" to bring it back to life. However, it should be done within the laws, which are there for a reason. I thought that the Lifestyle operators had bought the nearly-finished blocks of apartments behind the new one, which have been empty for years, and if I am right about that I can't understand why they just didn't finish them off, without building the five-storey monstrosity that towers over the main street.

However, now that the building has got so far it would be even worse if it were stopped and abandoned - what a terrible eyesore that would be.

If it is going to be built, I have to be pragmatic and hope it is a success, bringing new life into town.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Personally, I think Cabarete needs an injection of "something" to bring it back to life. However, it should be done within the laws, which are there for a reason. I thought that the Lifestyle operators had bought the nearly-finished blocks of apartments behind the new one, which have been empty for years, and if I am right about that I can't understand why they just didn't finish them off, without building the five-storey monstrosity that towers over the main street.

However, now that the building has got so far it would be even worse if it were stopped and abandoned - what a terrible eyesore that would be.

If it is going to be built, I have to be pragmatic and hope it is a success, bringing new life into town.

The building is already there and if it has negative effects on the winds , those effects should already be felt. One such building may not destroy the winds, but if everyone uses that building as an example to profit by taller buildings, there will almost certainly be issues with the winds. That is the type of cat that could be let out of the bag.

How much help the Lifestyles type of tourist provides to the economy fits into the debate regarding All Inclusive resorts anywhere. Some people go out on the town and spend money, and some don't. There are some people employed and some suppliers used, etc.. More people fly in, so hopefully more and cheaper flights are available. People see the area and come back to invest or retire.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
Buildings over a certain height near the water in Cabarete can have a negative effect on the winds that made Cabarete famous for water sports. Everyone has to make their own decisions on if the ends justify the means when you evaluate construction like the Lifetstyles Resort.

that story was invented by A, if you knew the real seed of that story.... any way the buildings that do not go higher then the tree line do not affect the winds in Cabarete, at kitebeach they actually accelerate the wind I used that acceleration for many kite jumps at the point..
You will say wind shadow in the bay, yes I agree but the best conditions are outside anyway :)

The Lifestyles case, those buildings do absolutely nothing to the wind, the sit in the wind shadow of the point and Velero. The 60M rule is void there are already buildings in that zone and LS would just complete the beach line, anyway their buildings are hugging the road as best as they can.

What Cabarete needs is investment and employment, this will help with crime and overall peace in our town. What we do not need is a frustrated manipulators using fake environmental arguments and the network scaring any potential investment away.

All this wind and sand crap was created by Cabarete expats that missed the money train and feel that they somehow were wronged and are now out for revenge. I could write a book about it, I clearly remember the events that started this war and grew up with every player in dirty game. Simple human traits are at play here, envy being the strongest one.

We never got involved with the politics and we will stay out it but people have to see and know the reason behind this constant boycott of investment.

Tengo un arton de esta mierda!!

un saludo a todo :)

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

While I totally disagree that the disgraced ex-mayor Canoa is better than Gay-Crosier, the editor of Cabarete Noticias, I do think that in the past Mr G-C has had a negative effect on the town. A couple of years ago, a by-pass was given the go-ahead by none other that President Danilo, which would also have involved the much-needed re-development of the main street. Unfortunately, Gay-Crosier and his associates were against the by-pass on environmental grounds because it would go through the lagoon at the back of the town and the projected by-pass never happened. While I'm am all in favour of maintaining the natural environment, I think these objections were overstated and have led to a worse physical environment for the town and its residents.

Last edited:

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013

about Canoa

Canoa is and represents the old ways of the Dominican, what he did is no different of what recently happened with the Oberrecht scandal. This is the way things work anywhere in this country, expats fighting this is ridiculous.
This does not mean I agree with this, but I have to accept it.

Now in comparison to Michel, the loudest opposition of the "immigrant' voices, Canoa was predictable but inherent to his "Dominican" way investment and development was easy. Cabarete boomed and business did not care about the corrupt ways they made enough profits to solve the problems they faced.

Since then, the actions of the famous 3 have cost Cabarete's micro economy millions in investment, scared away small and large investors and basically sank our little paradise in to survival mode. On top of that they created a environment of distrust between expats and Dominicans. Dominicans do not take this interference lightly and put us expats all in the same boat. I have personally experienced this, just mention your opposition to M and all of a sudden the doors are wide open again.

So yes, I believe Canoa has done less damage to Cabarete then M with his fake environmental crusade.

I leave it at this,

contributed my 2 cents..

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Lifestyles aren't new to the DR and they certainly aren't amateurs. Hard to believe they didn't do their due diligence and get the go ahead from top officials first(?).

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
While I totally disagree that the disgraced ex-mayor Canoa is better than Gay-Crosier, the editor of Cabarete Noticias, I do think that in the past Mr G-C has had a negative effect on the town. A couple of years ago, a by-pass was given the go-ahead by none other that President Danilo, which would also have involved the much-needed re-development of the main street. Unfortunately, Gay-Crosier and his associates were against the by-pass on environmental grounds because it would go through the lagoon at the back of the town and the projected by-pass never happened. While I'm am all in favour of maintaining the natural environment, I think these objections were overstated and have led to a worse physical environment for the town and its residents.

agreed, but the real reason the bypass did not happen is not Michels work, it is economics, some of the land needed to make it work was just to expensive and in the hands of people that have power.

anyway that bypass has been used as a political tool for decades, It almost happen this last time because of the Oberrecht environment of the time, money was flowing freely but just not enough to actually make it happen. Michel in the end does not have that much power just a radical pain in the ass and a scare for the smaller investors. Large ones like Lifestyle are not really affected by him.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I guess that the laws need to be changed to simply allow taller buildings and let the winds fall where they may.

The former mayor disgraced? Hardly. Watch for him to run and win again. That is what politics is all about here.

If work has been stopped, then the answer for Lifestyles is simply to pay enough money to start up again.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cabarete vows call for shutdown of construction of Lifestyle project

Google translation:

By caba8255 on June 24, 2017.

Land where it is intended to build several buildings on the beach. The sea is reaching the top of the land when there is a little wave. That is going to end with a wall on the beach to protect future buildings as did neighbors illegally
ARIDIO PERDOMO - aridioperdomo12@gmail.com
CABARETE, Puerto Plata: -

The Dominican Federation of Municipal Districts (FEDODIM) decided to support the Delegates before this district council, who, through notice of a sheriff 's order, summoned the company Lifestyle Vacation Club to present the permits that cover the construction of two buildings that constitute a Threat to the stability of the environment and endanger the main tourist attractions of the area.
The infrastructures are a hotel project with more than five floors in height, violating the regulations of the Plan of Territorial Ordering, and other buildings that are going to be erected on the beach itself, violating the strip of protection of the 60 meters coastal and marine, to From the high tide.
Last Tuesday, a commission of district authorities from Cabarete traveled to Santo Domingo to receive advice on this case, from the Executive Director of FEDODIM, Pedro Richardson.
The commissioners also discussed the matter with the legal adviser, Rafael de los Santos and the delegate of that district, Francisco Balbuena, who showed their support to the representatives of the district council of Cabarete in their fight for the respect of the Legal regulations that prohibit this type of construction without being endorsed by the corresponding environmental permits.

At 50 meters from Lifestyle, this is the beach on June 22, 2017
The director of the district board, Raquel Sierra, did not attend this meeting because she claims that "we do not agree that national and foreign investors who wish to develop projects in our tourism community should be hindered."
This meeting dealt with the collection of taxes on buildings, legal methods to carry out these actions that would benefit said community and the percentage of resources collected by the municipality of Sosua via the department of urban planning that grants permits to Investors for their projects.
The commissioners of the district council of Cabarete informed to the authorities of the FEDODIM that the company Lifestyle constructs each buildings, a hotel of five floors and a club house in the area of ​​the 60 meters of beach, But so far has not shown municipal authorities that it has the permits and approvals to carry out these buildings.
Revealed they have not even paid the full amount of taxes to carry out such works, and despite having been filed by means of sheriff's car has not yet delivered the documentation it claims to have.

Cabaretenoticias.com note : To the director of the district board of Cabarete, Raquel Sierra does not seem to hurt the beach in Cabarete. It can be built in the sea, in the lagoon, everything is good for it if there is profit.

http://cabaretenoticias.com/2017/06...acion-construccion-del-proyecto-de-lifestyle/

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lifestyles aren't new to the DR and they certainly aren't amateurs. Hard to believe they didn't do their due diligence and get the go ahead from top officials first(?).

So, they have all of the proper permissions that allow them to work around the laws and have paid all the appropriate taxes and fees? Hard to believe they did not do all that? They just need to produce those documents and work will proceed.

It is not hard at all to believe they did not for me. I know enough about how things get done here that nothing would surprise me.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
So, they have all of the proper permissions that allow them to work around the laws and have paid all the appropriate taxes and fees? Hard to believe they did not do all that? They just need to produce those documents and work will proceed.

It is not hard at all to believe they did not for me. I know enough about how things get done here that nothing would surprise me.

So, you think they just decided to roll the dice and risk millions of dollars?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

If they had the documents with the proper variances and approvals, would a mutli-million dollar corporation not have just shown them to the officials and the news media and continued working? Sorry, but I did answer your question with a question.

Now to answer it directly. No I do not think they have them, because if they had those documents, a multi-million dollar developer familiar with building in the DR would have just produced them and continued to build.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Maybe they had the assurances from local sub-authorities they'd be OK...and those "assurances" didn't make it higher...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Maybe they had the assurances from local sub-authorities they'd be OK...and those "assurances" didn't make it higher...

If all they had were "assurances" from some local authorities, not even from some people at the the top of the chain, not even in writing - then they deserve what they get. I mean, just how stupid could they be?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If all they had were "assurances" from some local authorities, not even from some people at the the top of the chain, not even in writing - then they deserve what they get. I mean, just how stupid could they be?

I think we are going to find out. I can so no reason why work would be stopped if they had the proper approval documents. Those critical of the project have been saying all along that they don't have them.