Lifestyles denies they sell timeshares in the DR

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Timeshare should be called Fraud-Share, whether by Lifestyle or any other huckster.
I must say I never saw why someone would buy one.
Anyone is DR1 willing to admit they did ?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Timeshare should be called Fraud-Share, whether by Lifestyle or any other huckster.
I must say I never saw why someone would buy one.
Anyone is DR1 willing to admit they did ?

Over the decades, I have had many friends who participate in and swear by the timeshare concept. It was never my cup of tea though.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It all depends on the property you buy the timeshare with, and the degree to which you are going to use the benefits. I have an aunt who is a travel agent, has three, and absolutely loves them. She's retired, and probably spends 10 months of the year traveling, so it's a great deal for her.

I don't think they're all amazing opportunities, but I don't think they're all rip offs, either. As with most of the things in life, your mileage may vary...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It all depends on the property you buy the timeshare with, and the degree to which you are going to use the benefits. I have an aunt who is a travel agent, has three, and absolutely loves them. She's retired, and probably spends 10 months of the year traveling, so it's a great deal for her.

I don't think they're all amazing opportunities, but I don't think they're all rip offs, either. As with most of the things in life, your mileage may vary...
And so do the annual maintenance fees

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm a member of lifestyles. I joined many years ago just a couple of years after the Club came into existence. After joining and before moving to the DR we used to come down 3 or 4 times a year. After moving here, we still go to the resort five or six times a year. We go every year for New Years, birthdays, anniversary and whenever I need a break from dealing with the daily tribulations of gringo life.

I have to admit it's not nearly as enthralling as when I lived in the frozen north but the food is excellent, service superb, accommodations equal or better than where I actually live. I don't have to cook, make the bed or clean the pool. The holiday parties at Lifestyles are excellent, always live entertainment and fireworks. For the most part, I just have to decide where I would like to eat, what I would like to drink and spend the day fulfilling those two objectives.

It is not a traditional timeshare in that I can go as often as I wish and stay for as long or as short a period as I would like. No yearly fees and my costs were locked in when I joined. If the company survives until my contract expires, I will certainly have gotten my money's worth. Should I drop dead before then, well, I don't think I'll care at that point and the kids can have the membership.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Could somebody who knows post the fees and expenses associated with the property? Not asking how much you paid to buy into the membership, but am curious about the nightly cost, all inclusive expenses, Property Maintenance fees, and stuff like that.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No property maintenance fees

Nightly costs are dependent on the terms of the membership contract. Those that joined in the past when prices were cheaper see those lower costs remain fixed for the duration of the membership. Newer members tend to pay more than older members for the same accommodations but their higher fees are also protected from future price increases.

The nightly cost of a Jr Suite is cheaper than the nightly cost for a 2 bedroom Suite which is cheaper than the cost for a 3 - 10 bedroom villa.

Daily AI fees are determined by the accommodation that you are staying in. They range from $45 in a suite to $95 in a villa. What you get for those fees varies as more services are provided to members staying in a villa as opposed to a Jr. Suite for example.

In the past it was possible to negotiate the ability to stay on the resort but not pay the all inclusive fees as many of the accommodations come with a full kitchen. I am told that option is no longer being offered.

Memberships is basically tiered by the accommodations that are made available to a particular membership level. Within each accommodation tier, there are several sub levels at various price ranges that include different perks. Some restaurants are only available to Supreme members and above and not available to gold members for example. Usually members of a higher status have access to everything at their level and below, lower tiered members hit a "glass ceiling" beyond which they cannot go unless they choose to upgrade to a higher tier.

Access to the private jet and the yacht for example are perks reserved for only the highest tier members.

Accommodation pricing is difficult to pin down for the reasons outlined above. There are groups of members (who joined around the same time) that have the same prices, but these prices vary from grouping to grouping over the years.

One's negotiating skills certainly come into play.

Last edited:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We actually own 3 Marriott time shares for the last 20+ years and LOVE them. We trade them in for points every year and have traveled all over the world on these points. Last time we sat down and figured the costs (about 5 years ago) we figured we were over 50K or more ahead of costs in travel savings and probably over 80K now. Good deal for us.
As to life styles you could not give me a "timeshare" there.

Bob K

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Yes, I purchased one from a friend for less than $5,000 over 15 years ago, joined RCI, and traveled over the world. It was a great opportunity. It was a two bedroom, red time, and I never visited the home resort. I gave it away a few years ago, and more than recaptured my investment. I also purchased one on eBay about 10 years ago. This was a two bedroom, red time; however, the owner refunded the price since he could not deliver the deed. The statement about it being a fraud is misplaced. Like any commercial transaction, you have to know what you are doing, and why. I went to many presentations, including one at Lifestyles in POP. When I told them what I paid, and that I purchased a foreclosure on eBay, the presenters respectfully asked me not to say anything during the presentation, and I did not. Also, they gave me a gift each time. The gift compensated me for my time.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It appears the Lifestyles in Cabarete is open. Passed by there today and the construction barricade wall has been removed in front of the main lobby, lobby is full of furniture and big LCD TV's in the lobby were on, employees in uniform were inside, and a tourist couple was sitting outside at a table.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It appears the Lifestyles in Cabarete is open. Passed by there today and the construction barricade wall has been removed in front of the main lobby, lobby is full of furniture and big LCD TV's in the lobby were on, employees in uniform were inside, and a tourist couple was sitting outside at a table.

Went past Lifestyles tonight and there were no lights on in the lobby, so obviously not open quite yet.