Living in the DR is cheap

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I could give you my recipe, but then I would have to kill you!
Besides, just like cooking a turkey, cooking a meatloaf is all about the "GRAVY"!!!!!!!
If you now tell me that your "Jimmy Dean" sausage is the "Spicy" kind, I will have to kill, MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Besides, just like cooking a turkey, cooking a meatloaf is all about the "GRAVY"!!!!!!!
If you now tell me that your "Jimmy Dean" sausage is the "Spicy" kind, I will have to kill, MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I still have two "Hot" and 3 "Sage" left.

My partner is coming down for a month. Maybe I can get him to bring some more...*;)

*Recipe peace offering by PM considered...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

In my best Yapaski/Yannadu/Pi2 impression:

Turkey gravy over pork is horrible for the environment. Have you ever seen how turkeys live? I know, have studied them and been called a turkey many times.

Same with pigs, they are brilliant in rolling in mud for cheap way of staying cool. They can pollute many waters, though, and I have tried to teach them better. They call me "Dances with Swine" sometimes, although I think they mean the dusky chicas who are with me.

Anyway, I am trying to save the planet, and regular gravy is killing us all. I prefer eco-gravy, which is made from milking snails. It's a bit challenging work, and the girl snails don't really appreciate it as much as the boy snails, but the flavor is amazing! Especially because the snails have such a small carbon, eh, slime-print.

Total cost of snails - free. Total cost of snail-milk gravy with seaweed infusion - free also, as long as you don't mind three days' work per serving, and a lot of funny looks from the girl-snails.

niceguy

Aug 6, 2011
Forgive me, I've had to put pi2 on "ignore" because of the posts like the one below, but another person quoted him in his response.

Yannadu/pi2's worldview is of the hyper-frugal/survivalist type, and is based in the fact he's only responsible for himself. If you use the "search" function, you'll find him trying to lead discussions on solar cookers, seaweed salads, and (I wish I was kidding but I'm not) personal nuclear reactors. It works for him, and perhaps others, but I wouldn't recommend it to a young family on their initial foray into DR.

If you're relocating to a country that speaks a different language than you're used to, it would be logical (and deeply appreciated by the locals who are now your neighbors) to make the effort to speak the lingo. You know, like we all expect from foreigners in our home country. It will vastly improve your overall experience, which will be challenging enough as your family transitions. Translators can't pick up on nuance or dialect or local slang, and can't help you understand a good joke, which goes a long way down there.

Also, how does one find a "local expert" without understanding some semblance of Spanish? Other than living in a gated expat enclave and hanging in touristy areas only, there is no real shortcut. The good news is learning the language can be fun, especially if you make it a family activity.

A personal nuclear reactor. Hmmmmm where exactly does one purchase one of those and can you get it in 'carry on' size

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In my best Yapaski/Yannadu/Pi2 impression:

Turkey gravy over pork is horrible for the environment. Have you ever seen how turkeys live? I know, have studied them and been called a turkey many times.

Same with pigs, they are brilliant in rolling in mud for cheap way of staying cool. They can pollute many waters, though, and I have tried to teach them better. They call me "Dances with Swine" sometimes, although I think they mean the dusky chicas who are with me.

Anyway, I am trying to save the planet, and regular gravy is killing us all. I prefer eco-gravy, which is made from milking snails. It's a bit challenging work, and the girl snails don't really appreciate it as much as the boy snails, but the flavor is amazing! Especially because the snails have such a small carbon, eh, slime-print.

Total cost of snails - free. Total cost of snail-milk gravy with seaweed infusion - free also, as long as you don't mind three days' work per serving, and a lot of funny looks from the girl-snails.

Excellent parody.....very well done..... even Yappy will like it - I'm sure
He's never mentioned the snail idea - food for thought

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
I dont concider DR as cheap, prices are allmost the same as back home now? Some things are rediculously cheap over here but sometimes i do miss ALDI. I think i can live cheaper in my own country as here. I spend like 10.000 a week so i live of around 1000 euros a month. As much the same it would be in my own country.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
I find it to almost be the same as Long Island NY except the housing, I'm saving a lot there for sure but my medications with no insurance coverage gets up there, all out of pocket..I eat a lot of PBJ, canned raviolis, rice & beans, so the food is very common, not much..

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Housing is true tough i have a realy great deal 9000 for appartment with 1 bedroom. Tv,electricity and internet included. Im never going to leave this appartment :D

SEO

Aug 3, 2012
Living here in the DR is still a lot, lot cheaper than it would be in the States for us so that's all that matters to me.

I estimate my monthly expenses now with three girls in school to be around RD48,000. The tuitions, phone, internet, power and water run me RD21,000. Church 2400, beer same(good grief I need to work on that), gas 2000, dentist 5000, salon 500, cable 700 which would leave around 14k a month for food and supplies. We don't hardly eat out but the kids snacks, cereal and juice add up. BTW, I don't eat imported food but eat lots of rice, beans, plantain and ham sandwiches. Here is a newer picture of us with me sporting a smaller panza :) :

14jyc11.jpg
very nice family you have there. i am sure with 5000 us i live like king dr ?

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Great photo!!

You look familiar to me, have you lived on Long Island before, been around the Bronx, or NJ Hackensack, Garfield, West Milford area?? Must of been Years ago, perhaps a lighter/weight of you or somebody that looks like you, just can't put a name...

Where are you from??

Anthony

very nice family you have there. i am sure with 5000 us i live like king dr ?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Great photo!!

You look familiar to me, have you lived on Long Island before, been around the Bronx, or NJ Hackensack, Garfield, West Milford area?? Must of been Years ago, perhaps a lighter/weight of you or somebody that looks like you, just can't put a name...

Where are you from??

Anthony

Maybe you have seen Chip at the Post Office? just kidding

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
with 5000 US month DR is real cheap right guys ?
Depends. Usd5000/month, is just about what you need if you have a family and live in the capital. If you are alone, usd5000 is more than enough to live very comfortable.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it always depends on each persons own expectations/standards, what is considered "necessary/cheap/expensive/etc etc".
some above mentioned 1000.- euros enough for a comfy life.
i don't consider my small family as living any rich Man's life here, we are Mommy, Daddy, almost 12 years old Son and a almost 3 years old Babgygirl in the household(yeah, both have their birthdays on the same day, Nov18th, lol), but with just 1.000.- Euros per month we would def starve, and that without bringing the lil extra costs for children/schools/their clothes/their Meds etc into the count.
i guess most singles here in the area(i am on the East) would be fine with 1.000.- euros per month, i could have lived for a while here in PC with that in my younger years when i arrived, it would by far not work out todays, as things like maintaining a Truck, a premium Medic insurance and the simple $600.- monthly rent of our place would alone exceed those 1.000.- euros of a monthly budget. maybe because some things change with the years. even if i would be single again tomorrow, such budget of 1000.- euros would mean that i would need to cut down on the average living quality a lot/very significantly.
as for the $5.000.- dollar monthly budget, here we talk a level where a comfy life can be had for a small family, with the kittens in a good school, eating what each prefers, living in a nice comfy appartment or house.
some still to consider well significant extra costs are travels, if such Expat wants to visit the family back home in Europe once or twice a year, such visits take up a good amount of monthly money to be safed to be able to spend it once or twice a year.
a single with the mentioned 5K's can of course easily live Kingstyle, not in unlimited luxury, but thats good for a very nice home to rent, a nice car to drive, eat home and out what ever the tastebutts tell, as long as not some sorrily often seen lil bad habbits come into the game to eat more than the high monthly budget, when clubbing becomes a drug with its often involved pills and snows, or when people start Gambling on the high scale.

i would say for a single comfy live starts with 2 grand monthly, that includes then to have the usual backups like a good medic insurance etc paid within the budget.
for a small family with 1 or 2 children, as here a bigger appartment/house has to be rented, i would say with 3-3.5 grand it starts to be possible to live it comfy without worries about bad times and all needed backups like insurances etc paid within the budget.

MIke

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Figured it out...He looks like one of the Techs at a Dealer I was the Director at..Exactly the same but the Tech looked about 20 pounds lighter which would be the norm since he's about 44 now...This was back in 2001 or so, long time ago...and his name was not Chip unless its really him under a false name..LOL..Man! twins!!! Very cool guy! I miss those people there, great place to work at..

Anthony

Maybe you have seen Chip at the Post Office? just kidding

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Chip, coming to Santiago Sept 27, 2013.. Send me a PM with your cell number so we can have a few cold ones at Ahi-bar..