Lodging in Zona Colonial

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
My fiance and I will be visiting the DR for the first time next month, and will spend the first (and maybe second) night in Santo Domingo. Looking for hotels in the Zona Colonial area, approx $70/night, something quiet, safe, clean, and with a wholesome personality. Based on research done to date, we're considering staying at one of the following: Hotel Palacio or Coco Boutique (note: considered Hotel Atarazan was also a consideration but there is no availability). Preference surrounding these selections or other recommendations?

Thanks!

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
My fiance and I will be visiting the DR for the first time next month, and will spend the first (and maybe second) night in Santo Domingo. Looking for hotels in the Zona Colonial area, approx $70/night, something quiet, safe, clean, and with a wholesome personality. Based on research done to date, we're considering staying at one of the following: Hotel Palacio or Coco Boutique (note: considered Hotel Atarazan was also a consideration but there is no availability). Preference surrounding these selections or other recommendations?

Thanks!

I can recommend Hotel Palacio. Clean, modern rooms (some very large-like the Junior suite), attached parking garage, attentive service, very security conscious with a guard on duty 24/7. There is no room service, though if you ask they will bring ice, coffee in the morning and such.) They charge $8.00 US for breakfast which includes the standard fare; eggs, toast, juice, fruit, etc.

They are in the process of expansion so when checking in, ask for a room away from the construction. It's located on Duarte, with the conde at the end of the street. Lots of energy, resturants, people, nightlife right at your doorstep. Bonus is once inside the hotel it's nice, quiet, peaceful, especially the inside rooms.

The only drawback to the Hotel Palacio: some rooms need the room key card to operate the a/c; I've gotten use to it and it's usually so hot outside the room is quite cool by comparison.

Right now, this is our favorite.

CJ

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Palacio is great, but is more of a traditional hotel feeling.

Coco Boutique is really great, but with a definite bed and breakfast feel to it. There's only four rooms, so you really feel like you are staying in somebody's house. The owners and their little son are great, and the place looks fantastic - very sort of hip and trendy, with a loungey feel to the public spaces, including a great roof deck overlooking the city.

Both are great choices, but it really depends on if you want more of a hotel experience, with more or the traditional hotel amenities, or if you want a more intimate trip, where you really get to know the owners and other guests.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You can also try the Hotel Penalba, right at the end of El Conde across from the big church. They have a restaurant downstairs with an outdoor section that is great for people watching.

The watchyman and the hotel clerk both go to sleep at night so if you are out dancing you have to ring the bell and wake them up to get in, but this is not an uncommon occurrence at smaller hotels.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
You can also try the Hotel Penalba, right at the end of El Conde across from the big church. They have a restaurant downstairs with an outdoor section that is great for people watching.

The watchyman and the hotel clerk both go to sleep at night so if you are out dancing you have to ring the bell and wake them up to get in, but this is not an uncommon occurrence at smaller hotels.

I always forget the name of that hotel.. even though we're there like 3 times each visit for breakfast or lunch. Thanks for the reminder!

CJ

Last edited:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
give coco a try

The hotel is beautiful. The owners are very friendly. They give a great breakfast. The roof top patio is great for watching the sun set. It only has 4 rooms so it is very private. It is really a calming and romantic type place to stay, in my opinion.

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
Thanks, everyone! Is there any reason we should reconsider our plans and instead stay somewhere on the Malecon? If so, do you have recommendations?

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Not in my opinion - the Colonial Zone is where I would want to be personally, near restaurants, clubs, parks, historical sites, 15th Century buildings, cafes, etc. etc. etc.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Hotel Penalba on the corner of the cone...room 403 has the corner balcony and is a great place to sit and unwind after touring around.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hotel Penalba on the corner of the conde...room 403 has the corner balcony and is a great place to sit and unwind after touring around.

A couple of things about this hotel. They have interior rooms with no windows that are away from the main street, so these are good for peace and quiet because the area in front of the hotel is very active and it gets a little noisy during the day.

But those balcony rooms in the front of the hotel are really, really nice and offer a great place to hang out and watch whats' going on outside from the comfort of your room.

And you are so centrally located to all that this area has to offer that it would be a better place logistically than staying at any of the hotels along the Malecon.

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Try the Nicolas Nader

I satyed at the Nicolas Nader in the Colonial Zone and liked it a lot. It has a central courtyard, two floors, and a very Spanish Colonial feel. I don't remember the street name. It's not on the Conde.

P3

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
question

The hotel is beautiful. The owners are very friendly. They give a great breakfast. The roof top patio is great for watching the sun set. It only has 4 rooms so it is very private. It is really a calming and romantic type place to stay, in my opinion.

Anyone know if Coco Boutique has a website? I couldnt find one... :ermm: