LONG TERM RESIDENT---NOW TRAVELING A LOT

ThomasTrig

Apr 4, 2017
Family of 6 travelling together? That's awesome! I would suggest Hilton too. No matter which city we go to Hilton is the first hotel we look for. Second would be Hyatt. Both are good.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...s-can-save-you-from-getting-bumped-2017-04-20

Article on subject.......

United Airlines
United Airlines’ contract of carriage — a document outlining the rules it applies to passengers — says the status of a passenger’s frequent flier program membership, along with the cost of their fare, their itinerary and when they showed up for check-in may determine whether they are bumped or not.

Having a United Airlines credit card won’t confer a higher status in the United MileagePlus frequent flier program. Only earning the requisite miles by flying with United and its partners will get a passenger to a Premier level. However, having a United Mileage Plus credit card can help you get there faster. United’s credit cards all award two miles for each dollar spent on tickets purchased from United, though sign-up bonus miles don’t count toward Premier status.

American Airlines
American Airlines’ contract of carriage contains language similar to that of United Airlines. Membership in its AAdvantage program is one of many factors it considers in deciding which passengers to bump.

Both the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and the AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard help cardholders earn miles faster — two miles for every $1 spent on American Airlines purchases — but only the Executive World Elite card awards 10,000 miles that will help qualify you for elite status, and only after you spend $40,000 in purchases in a year. The lowest level of elite status in the AAdvantage program, Gold, requires 25,000 Elite Qualifying Miles.

Delta Air Lines
Delta Air Lines also favors high-status members of its frequent flier program when deciding who will get bumped from flights. Unlike American and Delta, it specifies exactly how much it favors elite members.

Its boarding priority rules place Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members behind only passengers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly and members of the U.S. Armed Forces. Silver members are a few tiers down.

In a recent change to its policies reported by the Associated Press, Delta plans to let its employees offer close to $10,000 to coax customers to give up their seats. The airline’s previous max award was $1,350.

Delta’s branded cards offer sign-up bonuses that count toward qualifying for elite status. For example, the Delta Reserve Card awards 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles after the first purchase on the card. Reaching Gold status, which means hardly ever being bumped, requires 50,000 Medallion Qualification Miles.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It's more problematic for a family of six, but smaller groups or single travelers with flexibility should also consider a strategy towards getting "bumped." 

Taking a voluntary bump frequently results in cash credits, free tickets, first class upgrades, and other goodies. When possible, I take the "full" flight, and assuming I have the flexibility,  the first thing I do upon checking in is offer to be a volunteer.  

For example, my air travel was pretty light last year, in that I only flew a half dozen times. Volunteered each time, got bumped on three occasions. Ended up with first class seats on the next flight out, and a total of $1,200 in flight credits.

Not a bad haul for an extra two hour wait. 

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
If you're a busines traveler, St Regis / Starwood is the best and has options in all business markets.

For charging your travel, get an Expedia credit card OR one called "EBates" which gives you actual CASH back on EVERYTHING you purchase PLUS discounts on many websites (make sure to activate it on your computer so all the sites that give discounts show up!)! It's a GREAT credit card and has saved/earned me plenty of money!