Looking for 2SLGBTQIA+ clinic

Helpneeded

Mar 25, 2022
Dominican
I flew in only to find out that there is no 2SLGBTQIA+ friendly clinic in this country. I'm about to run out of Prep (for HIV prevention) and DoxyPep (for Syphillis and Chlamydia prevention). Ran to a local pharmacy but they all sounded clueless not knowing what I was talking about. I don't trust local doctors to ask for a prescription because they all tend to be a little homophobic/judgemental. I'm baffled at the fact that there is apparently not a single clinic/establishment in this country that caters to 2SLGBTQIA+ patients. Where does the Dominican 2SLGBTQIA+ community turn to for their sexual health needs??

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
From a February 2022 article:

Ramírez recommends people take PrEP daily because it is effective for 24 hours and could reduce the chances of contagion, if used correctly, by 99 percent.

The medicine is usually distributed free of charge in at least eight health centers such as the Family Clinic (La Romana); the Comprehensive Guidance and Research Clinic (Santo Domingo); the Institute of Dermatology and Skin Surgery (IDCP) (Santo Domingo); the Dominican Institute of Virological Studies (IDEV) (Santo Domingo); Hope and Charity (San Pedro de Macorís) and Verón (La Altagracia).

Helpneeded

Mar 25, 2022
Dominican
From a February 2022 article:

Ramírez recommends people take PrEP daily because it is effective for 24 hours and could reduce the chances of contagion, if used correctly, by 99 percent.

The medicine is usually distributed free of charge in at least eight health centers such as the Family Clinic (La Romana); the Comprehensive Guidance and Research Clinic (Santo Domingo); the Institute of Dermatology and Skin Surgery (IDCP) (Santo Domingo); the Dominican Institute of Virological Studies (IDEV) (Santo Domingo); Hope and Charity (San Pedro de Macorís) and Verón (La Altagracia).

"Free of charge" sounds like it's meant to be distributed to local Dominicans only, nothing is free for gringos down here. They'll probably ask for a Dominican ID as a requirement. Thank you though, I'll look into it.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
****Please read the OP's question, and if you are able to provide information please do. Otherwise please, no other comment is needed.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"Free of charge" sounds like it's meant to be distributed to local Dominicans only, nothing is free for gringos down here. They'll probably ask for a Dominican ID as a requirement. Thank you though, I'll look into it.
From the article " From there they can purchase the medicine for free, which, if purchased directly in pharmacies, costs between 1,500 and 4,000 pesos." Sounds like you can purchase it in pharmacies. Have you enquired, at more than one pharmacy.

Reactions: Helpneeded

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
There are places that provide free HIV meds to Dominicans, they would probably be compassionate enough and give them to you too. When you say "I don't trust local doctors to ask for a prescription because they all tend to be a little homophobic/judgemental" you are wrong.

Reactions: JD Jones

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Ok, let me repeat...unless you can answer the OP's question, do not post in this thread.

Reactions: Helpneeded

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Yay I can answer the OP's question as I had a customer who needed Prep urgently. The answer is a clinic called COIN which is in Villas Agricolas, Santo Domingo. They are funded by the US and are mainly focused on the LGBTQI+ community. Their website is here: https://coin.org.do/ and their phone number is 809 681 1515. It is in a very rough part of town, so go there by Uber. You will need to get an appointment and there is a process, I think they need you have some tests done etc, but I know for a fact that they do have Prep.

If you need more information or contacts just send me a private message. And please don't worry too much about anti-gay discrimination in DR. Running a business in the Colonial Zone, I am always surprised by just how LGBTQI friendly the DR is. There are a number of gay bars, Parque Duarte is chock-full of LGBTQI people at the weekend and some of the straight boys seem to like the idea of a gay papi-chulo to take care of them. Just go into any bank and you normally see the gayest of gay guys working there. I honestly don't think it would be a big issue for doctors, but in any case COIN is the place you are looking for.