Looking for hotel for 1 night stay near Dreams Resort in Punta Cana

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Hotel Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana ex Sunscape Punta Cana, Playa Bavaro - trivago

What I'm talking about is in the Playa Resort link....the last hotel mentioned.....Dreams resort and spa....formaly Sunscape the Beach was bought by Playa from AM resorts......is not owned by either AM or Globilia and renovated and renamed to Dreams.
Also as you see in the link above, Dreams Palm Beach is the old Sunscape Punta Cana, not Allegro as was mentioned.
Have a nice night.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hotel Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana ex Sunscape Punta Cana, Playa Bavaro - trivago

What I'm talking about is in the Playa Resort link....the last hotel mentioned.....Dreams resort and spa....formaly Sunscape the Beach was bought by Playa from AM resorts......is not owned by either AM or Globilia and renovated and renamed to Dreams.
Also as you see in the link above, Dreams Palm Beach is the old Sunscape Punta Cana, not Allegro as was mentioned.
Have a nice night.

You are not reading what I wrote earlier:

"The former Allegro property (in the same general area) was purchased by Playa resorts (primarily but not exclusively funded by Barcelo Hotels) and was turned over to AMResorts under a management contract. It was operated for a while as a Sunscape property but then was upgraded and renamed Dreams Palm Beach."

What became Dreams Palm Beach was a Sunscape and BEFORE that it was an Allegro.

The Globalia property was Sunscape Grand and then it became Oasis Grand which it still is today.

Like it or not, that's how it is.

Gregg

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
uuffff
ha ha ha
hard stand Gregg?, he he
Joe, i don't think i live in a Batey, that would be a Haitian village in a sugarcane field, they are named Batey.
i live in a residencial named "Guadalupe", just a few hundred yards aside the Oasis Grand Punta Cana Hotel. if you ever walked that beach down here in Cbeza de Toro you should have seen it, 'cause it is right on the oceanfront and it is nothing new, it is one of the eldest residencials down here and been here before the very most hotels around even been planned.
'nite everybody,
and tomorrow is just the day of 'amor' and paz
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
why should there be a travel warning?
just because we have a shotgun in the house, the Mrs owns her own '32 and i sleep with my '380 and lent the M16 every day to the driver who brings my boy to school?
heck, don't believe that state department, ha ha
'nite
Mike

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Actually the Batey area was where we used to hang out when we were at Sunscape, Oasis or whatever you want to call it, Hatian or not. This is what the hotel people called it, justly, even though mostly Dominicans lived there. As I remember it after you pasted the posted sign that says you are leaving hotel property where the Green Parrot stood before the hurricane destroted it, there were a few vendor shops selling paintings etc. on the right... Was owned by a Dominican lady that would not sell the property off to the hotels at the time. Across from that was a dock or pier where the fishing boats worked from. I remember a guy Charlie that was always in trouble and his brother had a boat for fishing according to him.
Walking down the road the Federal marine Police were on the right after the shops, used to play dominoes with them late into the night. The Marina you talk about was across the road and was closed and fenced in and had NO activity. The road then split, to the left at the end was a bar that was also ruined in the hurricane. We called it the German girls bar, appropriatly. She had a line up of girls there in her little house of prostitution. There wasn't much else there, another bar that was shaped like a boat on the right side that was open at the time. If you went right at the fork, it would bring you into what I'm guessing you called your little town. We would cut through some back yards and ended up at 24/7 another local bar that at the time was run by Carlos and Lucy for a couple of years. If you are familiar with what I just wrote here.....you live in the Batey....Hatian or not........and yes travel warnings do still exsist for Haiti from the US State Dept. Great place to travel...lol
Either way the hotel at the time was the first after the fenced off area other than Catalonia which couldn't be accessed from the Sunscape. The part you missed was when the Sunscape was first changed, it went from Sunscape Punta Cana Grande to just Sunscape Puta Cana. This was the Globilia buy out a few years ago....
And just curious, have any of you traveled to Haiti recently...or back in 07?

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Mido....let me guess...you are Hatian as well and feel it's totally safe for US travel, right? Funny thing is I can find numerous websites everywhere you go for Haiti, they all say the same thing. Show me 1 that promotes travel there and describes Haiti as having no safety issues. I would LOVE to see it. lol

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha ha
yes, where i live is near what you call your Batey, he he.
where your lil german lady line up been is since a while the new building and pier of the Marinarium Excursion with their 4 catamaran's.
yes, the sportfishing club property is the fenced property with the fueling pier, it is a private club. sure i know the 24/7, the mentioned Charly is of course still in continuous trouble, a half bro of him runs a fishing boat at the barcelo beach resort, so i think we talk about the same Charly. i don't think i am haitian, should double check with mom, but not much visible proofs for such seen in the mirror when shaving this morning. I sure did not recommend travels to Haiti nor did i anywhere name that neighbour country safe or such. my last visit crossing that border been many years ago, i did not spent time there at the guarded rich men's spots, i would sure not plan a vacation there for myself or do a tour throu it, would be the same than to plan a full moon midnight walk with the rolex daydate gold edition on the wrist throu mayor US City streets in the wrong quarter. pass the marinaruim pier and you find 100 meters aside a huge wooden pier, right in front of our home, it is the always clean and seaweed free area with the palmleeves roofs as shady sitting spots right on the beach, of course a public beach and everyone is allowed to use them even that we maintain them ourselves. would not even think about to change that spot with any other.
your mentioned vendors shops right aside the Oasis are gone, that is the area where the Oasis constructed their additional buildings for the Osis Grand Punta Cana, the Marines station moved around the corner, side by side with the resort. the wooden boat restuarant is closed since a while, spoke to the property owner a few weeks back, he plans to renovate the spot and open again, i have no idea about his timetable for that. no more girlies line up on the beach front. 24/7 still exists. area is completely safe, i spend with the Mrs very often time around midnight down on the pier to enjoy a glass of wine and breath in the quietiness under a sky full of stars. Marines guards are present here on the beach front 24/7, no need to close the frontdoor when we walk the beach at night.
time for our Valentine's stroll
Mike

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Mike, no offence intended, we always called it that for years, picked it up at the Parrot I'm guessing. It's been 2 years since PC for me so I'm sure things have changed, as the info on hotels.
The websites are inaccurate as hell, and reports from others are inconsistant at best. Ok, so we're talking the same place. We used to spend the majority of our time there other than meals. Shot pool all night at 24/7 then played dominoes with the feds untill the suns up. We also opted to buy our beers at the Green parrot rather than the freebies at the hotel. We enjoyed hanging with the locals opposed to the morons at the hotel pools. The reason I go there is I know a girl that's involved in running the old Sunscape, she's from Holland and just got her papers a couple years back after she married a Dominican. She always charges me $80 US so it's a real good deal, better when I drank alot. Charlie, I know well, too well, pain in the *ss most of the time....drunk as well. Ha maybe we have crossed paths before, I have been going down there since late 90's. I'd have to say 10 years. So the German girl never rebuilt, Charlies still in trouble, vendors are gone, and the feds moved. I remember the Dominican lady, probably in her 30's that owned the property just on the other side of the wall where the vendors were. The hotel had been trying to buy it from her for sometime but she refused. I'm thinking with the economy, she finally broke down. Next time down, we'll try some fishing. Have done it several times w/bavaro boats, the good ol Mona passage...a little rough heading east! What information do you have about the marina in the "town" of Punta Cana? just a little s/e from the airport. This is where supposed tournies ran from a while back? There was a thread somewhere about the area or 20 miles or so being called PC....and no such town exsisted. Not true, I see it listed on the map.
And I really wasn't implying you were Hatian...I was busting you.
Peace.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
there's no town named punta cana, on maps the mark punta cana is often the location of the PC airport.
we locals name punta cana the side of Veron from the maincrossing towards the direction of the airport.
there are 2 marina spots from which sportfishing tournaments start, one is the little sportfishing club in cabeza de toro named Club Nautico and the other one is the Punta Cana Marina at the Punta Cana Resort and Club, that's the one you mentioned aside the airport, it is just a few miles down the road from the airport, privately owned the whole area, same owners than the ownership of the privaye punta cana intl airport. last year they also run a little tournament off the new cap cana marina, but that new cap cana project will need some more time to be finoshed, will finally be a top spot, their finished marina spots are top notch.
the mona channel is from cabeza de toro located southwards, not very far southeast from the PC Marina and Cap Cana, we mostly fish north of the channel, for many spezies the better fishing grounds than the Mona Passage.
don't worry, i did not felt offended, otherwise i would not have answered.
Mike

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
I thought the Mona passage was the piece of water between the DR and PR. I remember someone made mention on one of the trips that there is a spot per say where the Caribbean meets the Atlantic? Didn't we go due east halfway and then run north/south while fishing? Can't remember if this one of Charlies hook-ups, the 2 guys were up on the top bridge burning one up with their full face bandanas on...lol
Ran across this map, if you click on the east coast you will see the Punta Cana I'm talking about, looks like a seperate icon as the airport is clearly marked. Very misleading. I do know nautica, the fenced in one at the pier, and thought the P/C marina was where the PC icon near the airport is.....and P/C area is pretty much from Cabezza to Macao. Humm
Thanks for the correction.
Dominican Republic road map

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
o.k., been on your map.
what is marked as Punta Cana on that map is the Punta Cana Resort&Club with the Marina Punta Cana.
that part of the east coast faces the southeast, so loeaving there for fishing would mean to ride towards the mona passage, fishing the area right north of the channel.
if you watch the same map for the rest of the PC area you will see that cabeza the toro, bavaro, cortecito, macao aso face the north east and are located many miles north of the mona passage area.
what you call the PC area is the touroperators name for nearly most part of the dominican east coast.
the real Punta Cana is the area between Juanillo(today better known as Cap Cana after the nutheads took our most beautiful public beach and gace it to the 'investors') til the airport, the next area is named Cabo Ena?o, Cabeza de Toro, Bay of Bavaro, El Cortecito, Arena Gorda, Macao, Uvero Alto.
but names can be confusing because mixed by visitors and vacation sellers, so Punta Cana is used as the general name for all the above described coastline, Cabeza is the Cabeza de Toro Bay including the Catalonia Bay, Bavaro is named the hotel area from the Barcelo Bavaro Beach til where Macao begins, locals who do not live on the east coast name the whole area Bavaro including the PC and Macao side. north of the bay of Macao we have the rough area named Uvero Alto, that's where those hotels sivory, sirenis, dreams punta cana, excellence are located. of course touroperators sell that area also as vacations in Punta Cana.
cheers from calm and sunny sunday skies
Mike

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Ahhh, thanks for the free geo lesson. back a few months ago, OLN had a sailfish tournament series running. Panama,Honduras, CS, and PC were some of the filmed locations. I think this was at the marina you refere to by the airport, showed them unloading at the docks, etc...
I've traveled most of the east coast when I was a little younger, from Cabezza to Sabana. The small towns I though were the best part of the trip. I was with a Dominican friend so he knew the ropes and the people....only way to go. One of my favorite spots was Macao. The beach and cliffs were awesome. We flew over it in a helidosa in 07 and see they were building a resort by the looks up top of the cliffs.....another nice untouched spot ruined.
Gregg, nice link, I always wondered why they would call it Cane Point when it's coco's..... Punta Coco?
I like the original version better...more fitting for the area.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the construction you saw over Macao is today named the Westin RocoKi resort, will get a top notch Marina there, too, in some years when finished.
agree on a road trip from bavaro up towards Miches, even better is to take the longer route via higuey-el seybo-sabana de la mar, i do that once in a while with a buddy of mine to spend a night or two near miches where an other friends run s a guesthouse, great tour and that could really be named Punto Borrachon, ha ha.
Mike