Looking for input before I buy A/C unit

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's reassuring, good to know, specially the make (I assume you're near the ocean). The guy who came to see me was a reputable Brit and he only dealt with TGM types... (27k pesos all in installed for a non-inverter 12000BTU, last year price, I think he said that is for a new model with copper tubing etc.)

But I never installed any A/C split so far, so no experience - still using the tiny 5000 BTU on the window edge occasionally....

The key is the much higher SEER rating of the newer inverter model split AC units. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficient the unit. The split units have more features other than just setting a temperature, which most people never use.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is there a chart for SEER, like 0 to X ?

What is the highest SEER rating?

A quick look shows that the highest SEER unit is 26. The ones from TGM are in the low 20's as in 20 or 21, which is pretty good. That additional 4 to 5 higher SEER rating will mean the unit is going to be substantially more expensive in most cases. If you really dig you might find a brand new unit with a higher SEER rating than 26.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_energy_efficiency_ratio

http://www.webhvac.com/2016/01/highest-seer-rated-air-conditioners-of-2016/

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
Are your the TGM Quantum series model?

I spoke to Refricentro, the TGM hub in Florida. Spoke to a guy with 18 years of selling AC units. For my 16 X 22 foot room with 10 foot high ceilings, three 4 X 6 foot window used as my music studio, the recommendation pushes me to a 20 SEER, 24,000 BTU unit. TGM model is MWFTS/MRFT24AS . That unit is $800 US list price in Florida. Refripartes in Puerto Plata quote 47,000 $RD including installation with a potential for some negotiaion on the price.

By the way, an LG unit with 24,000 BTU capacity from Refricentro in Florida is $2,175 US list price. No wonder TGM is getting so much business.
Are you sure that was not the price for the 18K BTU? Seems very low. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are you sure that was not the price for the 18K BTU? Seems very low. 

I did not ask for the price for 18,000 BTU unit, I asked for the 24,000 BTU unit, but I am never sure until I see the "factura" here in the DR.

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
I did not ask for the price for 18,000 BTU unit, I asked for the 24,000 BTU unit, but I am never sure until I see the "factura" here in the DR.
Ok well keep us posted if you go that route. I only said that because I got prices from them on 3 separate occasions, (twice in person, once on phone) for the 18k BTU Quantum series-20 SEER,  and the price was around 48k RD  installed with room to negotiate. I think the 12k BTU was in the 30's RD

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ok well keep us posted if you go that route. I only said that because I got prices from them on 3 separate occasions, (twice in person, once on phone) for the 18k BTU Quantum series-20 SEER,  and the price was around 48k RD  installed with room to negotiate. I think the 12k BTU was in the 30's RD

Were those quotes at Refripartes in Puerto Plata? Sounds like they might have made a mistake. It may be a few months before I move on my installation in my music room.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

My Unit is a TGM 9K Inverter unit with a SEER 17. $19,225 with ITBIS and the installation kit included.

My office is 10' x 10'. It gets cold in about 3-4 minutes. I love it.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Mine was Refriparts in Santo Domingo.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I have an AUX 12000 BTU inverter unit in Santiago that's a year old that I'd be willing to let go for a good price since I'm moving.

The contingency is you'd have to pick it up the day I leave (sometime in the next 30 days, not exactly sure yet) since I can't go a minute in my apartment without AC.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do your homework and shop prepared

While shopping in Puerto Plata today, I stopped in Refripartes. Told them I had a 16' wide by 22' long by 10' high room to cool and they told me it would be best to use a 24,000 BTU unit. So that confirms what everyone else has told me.

Then I asked them what units they sold for this. They had a non-inerter model that I did not consider despite their warning of salt air concerns. I am about 150 yards from the ocean. Then they told me price of between 60,000 and 80,000 pesos. Then I told them I had called previously and been given a price of 47,000 pesos installed. Then he said, Oh, that would be this unit in the 24,000 BTU range:

http://www.refricenter.net/product-details.asp?id_product=258

A TGM MWAET24S to be exact.

So, they tried to up-sale a more costly (and truth be told a more efficient unit with features that could detect people in the room that I don't need) and I then reminded them that they had a more suitable model for me.

What I did not like is that when I called previously on the phone I was told it was a Quantum Series model and not a Dream Series model for the $RD 47,000 price.

So beware and go in prepared. When I am ready to purchase I will be asking about a Quantum Series model as well, but I am already prepared that that will be just a "Dream"...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sometimes I really wonder about some of these sizing recommendations and charts. All of the 3rd floor(top floor) units in my condo here have vaulted ceilings - I'm guessing about 14 ft high(?). Living area is about 400 sq. ft. and just about the entire front of the units are glass doors and windows - about 20 ft. across. All use 18,000 BTU units, most are TGM non-inverter, and zero problems cooling the living area even on the hottest days.

In Miami I lived in a small 1000 sq. ft. condo. It had a 2.5 ton central air unit(all did). 2.5 tons = 30,000 BTU's and I could get condensation running down the walls and windows when it was 95F outside in the summer(if I wanted). Maybe central air made the difference, but that works out to 12,000 BTU's for every 400 sq. ft.(?)

joseph01

Jun 21, 2010
I just replaced my plastic tgm..5 yrs...the copper coil ends were dissolved.....I put in a new unit but treated the copper coil bends with anti corrosion rubber paint......we are on the beach

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I have a KTC split type inverter AC.  I love it, it's more than enough for my bedroom which is about 20x20 with a vaulted ceiling that is 15 feet in the middle.  It's 12,000 BTU.  I run it every day.  After about a year of daily use, one day there were some drops of water falling off the unit inside my room.  I just put a towel under it and called an AC guy the next day.  The drainage tube was clogged up with slime and he cleaned it all out and said it should be done every 6 months or so.  I'll probably just wait until it drips again and then do it myself.  It looked easy enough to do, just remove the front plate and another smaller one inside and clean out the goop.

I think I bought this at Plaza Lama.  I had actually picked out the next smaller model and at the last minute I said wait, give me the next size up.  My room is really big and I wanted to make sure I was covered. The next smaller unit was a 110v.  This one is 220v.  I wanted a 110 because I wanted to be able to use it with the inverter on hot days when there's no electricity.  That's pretty rare in my neighborhood now but still . . . So they ring it up and say delivery is the next day.  The girl that made my order didn't say anything about 220 and when they came the next day is when I was told.  My original intent was to replace my old split level with this new energy saver one.  But now I was looking at not being able to use it on the inverter!   I know this isn't Wal Mart, I know I can't exchange it or anything.  So I told the guy to install it next to the old one!   So I have two ACs on my wall!  On the rare times when I want AC really bad and there's no power I just flip a switch and run my old 110v on the inverter.

I read the KTC's usage on the EDE meter one day and saw that it used 8kw in a 16 hour period.  So I can run this as often as I like and it's very affordable.  I bought it 2 years ago, model CE9V-12CRDN1.  I don't remember how much it cost.  I'm still using it every day.

If I may ask: What inverter do you have and how long can you use your a/c with it?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sometimes I really wonder about some of these sizing recommendations and charts. All of the 3rd floor(top floor) units in my condo here have vaulted ceilings - I'm guessing about 14 ft high(?). Living area is about 400 sq. ft. and just about the entire front of the units are glass doors and windows - about 20 ft. across. All use 18,000 BTU units, most are TGM non-inverter, and zero problems cooling the living area even on the hottest days.

In Miami I lived in a small 1000 sq. ft. condo. It had a 2.5 ton central air unit(all did). 2.5 tons = 30,000 BTU's and I could get condensation running down the walls and windows when it was 95F outside in the summer(if I wanted). Maybe central air made the difference, but that works out to 12,000 BTU's for every 400 sq. ft.(?)

I had three different sources tell me what capacity I needed for a unit. All three came up with 24,000 BTU for my 16 X 22 X 10 foot space. That said, I do think 18,000 BTU would work.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I just replaced my plastic tgm..5 yrs...the copper coil ends were dissolved.....I put in a new unit but treated the copper coil bends with anti corrosion rubber paint......we are on the beach

Copper is used because it is a good conductor for the exchange of heat which is what air conditioner coils are supposed to do. Painting them reduces the efficiency of this heat exchange and certainly voids your non-existent warranty. If the coils were intended to be coated with an "anti-corrosion" rubber paint, they would come from the factory painted. You may have coils that last longer but the added strain and runtime may cause the compressor to go south faster. Living on the beach has a few drawbacks, quicker corrosion is just one of these. No problem painting your house in a paint that better resists the salt, but you shouldn't be painting your AC's copper coils, especially in light of the cheap cost of a 18,000 btu AC here (cutting off your nose to spite your face situation).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One thing to keep in mind. When locals use AC, they tend to have one setting: ON. If you ever traveled on a Caribe Tours bus, you know what I mean. The temperature can drop enough so you could preserve meat hanging in the room for weeks while they put on a ski jacket and for them that is proof that the AC is working good.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Copper is used because it is a good conductor for the exchange of heat which is what air conditioner coils are supposed to do. Painting them reduces the efficiency of this heat exchange and certainly voids your non-existent warranty. If the coils were intended to be coated with an "anti-corrosion" rubber paint, they would come from the factory painted. You may have coils that last longer but the added strain and runtime may cause the compressor to go south faster. Living on the beach has a few drawbacks, quicker corrosion is just one of these. No problem painting your house in a paint that better resists the salt, but you shouldn't be painting your AC's copper coils, especially in light of the cheap cost of a 18,000 btu AC here (cutting off your nose to spite your face situation).

It's a lot easier to just hose down the outdoor compressor on a regular basis.