looking for Sto Dgo seal

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
I saw the The seal ( escudo) of Santo Domingo city one time, i think it was here, it was a news article about Freddy Beras Goyco receiving a price. It has a crown in it. I trying to find it, but not luck in finding the image. Can somebody find it and post it here? also, I would like to see the flags or Seals of the other provinces as well. Thankyou.

Jan 5, 2006
Here you go!

adn_3.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Put that seal in the center of a white flag and you got the flag of the DN.

-NALs

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Put that seal in the center of a white flag and you got the flag of the DN.

-NALs

This is the flag that Wiki gives for DN
Flag_of_the_Distrito_Nacional.JPG

Is Distrito Nacional the same as Santo Domingo City? It doesn't cover the Eastern part of the city across the river. That's part of Sto Dgo Este. That confuses people!

Anyways, what is the meaning of the seal ? What are its origins ( I'm assuming is colonial).

lenny1

Apr 27, 2006
Asopao:

In order to understand the symbols of the shield inside the Dominican flag you must study and read about the declaration of Independence as expressed in the Trinitary Secret Society of our national heros of the Dominican Independence. I think this site or link does the trick: http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/www.27defebrero.com . Try it . Good luck. lenny1

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I saw the The seal ( escudo) of Santo Domingo city one time, i think it was here, it was a news article about Freddy Beras Goyco receiving a price. It has a crown in it. I trying to find it, but not luck in finding the image. Can somebody find it and post it here? also, I would like to see the flags or Seals of the other provinces as well. Thankyou.

Did you want the coat of arms of the city of Santo Domingo, or as indicated by atop post here, just the D.N. seal of the city?

The coat of arms is quite another thing...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The seal posted atop here is an "updated" version of the original coat of arms given to the city by Castilla y Leon, as Villa Realenga or a city under direct property of the crown not the church or any other sire.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
I heard a rumor that the seal was going to be replaced by two stray dogs in the place of the lions, a publico crammed with 8 people in it, and 3 Haitians trying to wash your windshield with filthy water and rags!!!!

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I heard a rumor that the seal was going to be replaced by two stray dogs in the place of the lions, a publico crammed with 8 people in it, and 3 Haitians trying to wash your windshield with filthy water and rags!!!!

LOL now thats funny.

They could also try one with El Tigre up a ladder connecting for free
over two obese muchas eating big macs while talking on a mobile phone.

Its a joke don't kill me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
The seal posted atop here is an "updated" version of the original coat of arms given to the city by Castilla y Leon, as Villa Realenga or a city under direct property of the crown not the church or any other sire.

Pichardo, I know that the coat of arms of Santo Domingo ( I'm not talking about the national coat of arms, just the D.N coat of arms) is from colonial times. I just want to know what it means.

What's the meaning of the key? That Sto Dgo was at that time ( 16th century) the key to the Americas??

What's the meaning of the black and white on the outside of the shield?

What is the meaning of the yellow crown inside and the big black crown on the outside?

I can't find any information on the internet explaining all these. Perhaps, you can find out and place it on Wikipedia or something.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The kings Fernando and Isabel gave the city in 1508 her own coat of arms (seal).

"A la Villa de Santo Domingo se?alo e doy por armas un escudo en que est?n dos leones dorados, tiene en lo alto una corona de oro, entre ambos leones, en medio de ellos una llave azul en campo colorado en derredor circulando al escudo con una cruz blanca e prieta en el mismo campo del bienaventurado se?or Santo Domingo."

The above is the proclamation of such notice by the King to the City.

It says that the Villa of Santo Domingo was to receive the seal and coat of arms including the exact elements that conforms it.

The crown means that the villa is "Realenga" a royal city under the auspices of the crown and not any other potentate or sireship.

The Lions are the representation of the armies of Castilla and Leon, side by side facing the key of the city. The colors that surround the seal are in fact a cross just like the "Baculo" carried by Santo Domingo de Guzman (the saint) and incorporated into the seal. The black and white represent purity and atonement, death and resurrection. The key represents the fidelity and relation to the royal crown.

The crown atop the seal and within the seal has two meanings:
The one above it gives it the royal authority over the villa and the one in the seal constitutes the consolidation of the royal crown over the city as "royal villa".