looking to acquire a African grey parrot

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
African gray parrots are hated in Africa they eat the crops and farmers shoot them as pests. They make pets and easily tamed the person who feels that they are endangered spices should wake up and realize the people treat them worse than we treat pigeons. These birds if endangered species which I have never seen or heard are endangered not by us but the people in Africa. If anything this person should be conscious maybe this is the only way these birds exist in safety. Further more all the bird breeders around the world sell and offer this bird so I seriously doubt if that statement is true. they would loose their right to have a business and be closed for selling these birds if that was true. (all around the world)

Agreed, I said in post earlier my friend breeds African greys and other to. Always has 125 to 150 birds at one time. He feeds them chicken hahahaha maybe someday that will be illegal but right now its helping the population.

Jan 7, 2016
When I was a kid, my grandfather had an African Grey...he had a perch above the crapper in the bathroom and would leave the lid-up so the bird wouldn't soil the place. One day he came in the bathroom and found the bird dead in the toilet...apparently either fell sound-asleep on the perch and slipped-off or had a heart attack and fell in the crapper...the bird cussed like a sailor before he "jumped-ship"!

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
When I was a kid, my grandfather had an African Grey...he had a perch above the crapper in the bathroom and would leave the lid-up so the bird wouldn't soil the place. One day he came in the bathroom and found the bird dead in the toilet...apparently either fell sound-asleep on the perch and slipped-off or had a heart attack and fell in the crapper...the bird cussed like a sailor before he "jumped-ship"!

sad. I had one drown in a swimming pool. had two and one decided to fly across it and never made it.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
A neighbor in Florida had a pair of them in a porch basically outdoors at his house, one morning he walked out and there was a third African Grey on the outside of the cage talking to the inmates. He caught it and slipped it inside and the three lived happily ever after.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
A neighbor in Florida had a pair of them in a porch basically outdoors at his house, one morning he walked out and there was a third African Grey on the outside of the cage talking to the inmates. He caught it and slipped it inside and the three lived happily ever after.

Interesting as the African gray parrot is supposed to be monogamous.
They must have been from one of the Mormon's African polygamous sects. :cool:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
African gray parrots are hated in Africa they eat the crops and farmers shoot them as pests. They make pets and easily tamed the person who feels that they are endangered spices should wake up and realize the people treat them worse than we treat pigeons. These birds if endangered species which I have never seen or heard are endangered not by us but the people in Africa. If anything this person should be conscious maybe this is the only way these birds exist in safety. Further more all the bird breeders around the world sell and offer this bird so I seriously doubt if that statement is true. they would loose their right to have a business and be closed for selling these birds if that was true. (all around the world)

Lived in various countries in Africa most of my life but never heard of farmers or any Africans hating them.
Had a couple myself and they are great fun birds and love human company.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Lived in various countries in Africa most of my life but never heard of farmers or any Africans hating them.
Had a couple myself and they are great fun birds and love human company.

I have read that with the land clearing in the Congo, the birds raid the farmers grain bins for food. The farmers kill them to protect their livelihood. It is true. There are news articles about it.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
It's been a few years since I have been to La Vega, but driving out the autopista from Santiago to La Vega there were usually guys along the roadway selling birds.

Those are Hispaniolan parrots and it is illegal to sell or own one as they are a protected species.

Read, then think, then post.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I have read that with the land clearing in the Congo, the birds raid the farmers grain bins for food. The farmers kill them to protect their livelihood. It is true. There are news articles about it.

They kill everything in the Congo now. Even whole tribes.It's called progress..

I regularly saw herds of up to 300 elephant in Virunga, or an endless herd of buffalo as far as the eye could see.
In my garden in Goma I could watch fabulous wildlife and a mile out of town was virgin wilderness.A phenomenally beautiful landscape.

In Burundi they laid waste thousands of square miles of virgin forest and poisoned it for generations to get Rare Earth minerals so Americans could have pure air from their car catalysers.

I reckon that after countless years of civil war and commercial rape of the land you would probably have to import wild animals.
A silent catastrophe that no-one gives a toss about.
Parrots are the least of the worries I reckon...
An adopted Parrot would be a happy parrot.