Low-down on Boca Chica

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Yes

Jennifer Q said:
Can you get away with speaking english???? Havn't a word of spanish... :cry:
Walk around with a pocket size spanish phrase book and a calculator, if you leave the AI.
Use common sense, when you spend money and walk around

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
Since you are a newbie, I'll give you the do's and dont's

Do not speak to ANY local men for ANYTHING, no directions, no nada!!
Carry pesos ONLY!! No greenbacks, euros, Yens, etc........
IF you drink or eat on the beach get the PRICESSSS!!! First
Don't eat from the CART or the OCTOPUS anywhere!!
Don't pay $100US for a date

Yes, yes, and double yes. Boca Chica can be a nice place or a damn cesspool depending on who you talk to. So don't strike up any conversations with ANYONE while walking around. ANYONE!!!!!!!! If you need any info on anything, speak to any of the cats that work in the hotel, but don't let them take you anywhere. They will be out to hustle you.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Yes, sort of

Jennifer Q said:
Can you get away with speaking english???? Havn't a word of spanish... :cry:
You're a lot better off and will have a better time if you can speak Spanish, even just a little. If you have time, get some of those Spanish for Dummies type tapes or discs and pick up what you can. If not, get a good phrase book and stick to the more touristy areas. You'll spend a lot of time saying "No comprendo" (oops, sorry, that's pidgin Spanish for "I don't understand"), but if you have half a brain you can get by, even if you don't stay at an AI. My ability in Spanish is negligible (though I'm trying to improve), but I've been to the DR twice now, enjoyed it immensely and returned home safe and sound and without major mishaps.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
2dlight said:
Just noticed that the account for elcaucho.com domain has been closed.

Probably because they designed it with nothing but page after page of Flash animation and the bandwidth was murder - it had precious little useful content like a map as to where the heck it is (other than where BC is in the DR) or prices. Hopefully they rejig it, less sizzle more steak.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
Walk around with a pocket size spanish phrase book and a calculator, if you leave the AI.
Use common sense, when you spend money and walk around

Specifically if I may interpret an electronic translator since a calculator is scant help with languages. Try lonely planet's phrase book for Latin America - it is better than nothing.

theCeo

Apr 18, 2005
Low-Down on Boca Chica

buseouno said:
Check out a thread on Trip Reports, "El Caucho in Boca Chica" I think you'll find exactly what your looking for.
I had some friends from overseas ask me to check it out for them, so i visited the hotel last week, and yes, it looks perfect for all your dreams to come true.
www.elcaucho.com
Have fun.
Ken

Sorry, just realised you said the trip was already booked.

Great place! I've been there several times; just got back last month and going again in May. The people are always friendly. I speak spanish pretty good and know my way around town. I've gone so much that people in the town regonize me (and know they can't get over on me).

Not a huge family-style place. I'm single with no kids, so it's my kind of town.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
for the currency conversion

ricktoronto said:
Specifically if I may interpret an electronic translator since a calculator is scant help with languages. Try lonely planet's phrase book for Latin America - it is better than nothing.
The calculator is for the newbie configuring the pesos rate. So when she's on the beach eating, drinking and being merry :classic: Forgot to ask how much is that octopus on lettuce and the local sankie slaps her with a RD1,800 bill for lunch and three beers, at least she knows how much she got ripped off for :bandit: :bandit: hahahahahahaa

westcoastfantas

Dec 30, 2004
Don't talk to any locals?

Berzin said:
So don't strike up any conversations with ANYONE while walking around. ANYONE!!!!!!!!

Please elaborate. Are you referring to people who may approach you with the purpose of trying to run a game on you? What if you're sitting in one of the bars and some Dominicans talk to you then, is that cool?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
No!!!!

westcoastfantas said:
Please elaborate. Are you referring to people who may approach you with the purpose of trying to run a game on you? What if you're sitting in one of the bars and some Dominicans talk to you then, is that cool?
Don't talk to ANY MALE LOCALS!!
If a local speaks english, he is probably a deporte from the U.S. They don't care about how you are doing and where you from, they only care about how they can sucker you out of your greenbacks, punto. Now of course there maybe some locals who are sincere :ermm: but since they don't have a sign around their necks, you'll never know. They will act like they're you're friend, there pros! Don't trust them! :bandit: :bandit:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
westcoastfantas said:

Boca Chica is ALIVE with pond scum. Don't talk to anybody, male or female. If one of the girls you meet happens to work in one of the shops or is a waitress at one of the stores on Avenida Duarte, still proceed with caution. You will see what I mean when you get there. When they start hitting you with stories about how bad their life is or who is sick in their family, walk away.

As for the dudes, they are looking to guide you wherever it is you may or may not want to go and they will expect to be paid. Even if you ask somebody where the chinese food place is. Then they will try to follow you to see if you will buy them something to eat.

This does'nt happen all the time, but if you are walking by yourself you will get the catcalls-"Hey fren, you wan eat here? Food berry goo! Berry goo!"
This also happens on the beach. Just wave them off. Some may follow you-put them in their place and keep it moving. If you so much as look in their direction they will take the eye contact as an invitation to harrass you.

If for any reason you NEED to go to one of the massage parlors that have'nt been closed down because you want to get a chica for the evening, DO NOT let a motoconcho driver take you. They go with you, follow you in and wait for you because they are making a commission off of you. This will make haggling impossible because the place will just assume you do not know what you are doing and will charge you an arm and a leg. I REPEAT-DON"T GET YOURSELF IN THIS SITUATION.

If you must go speak to somebody at the hotel to tell you where the massage places are and GO BY YOURSELF. And remember-haggle, haggle haggle. If the price ain't right, just leave and go somewhere else.

If you are going to the DR between April 22nd and May 2nd, let me know. We can catch up and I'll be more than happy to speak to you in person if you need any more details. I also do not charge for my services.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
What's Her Name?

Berzin said:
Boca Chica is ALIVE with pond scum. Don't talk to anybody, male or female. If one of the girls you meet happens to work in one of the shops or is a waitress at one of the stores on Avenida Duarte, still proceed with caution. You will see what I mean when you get there. When they start hitting you with stories about how bad their life is or who is sick in their family, walk away.
Dude, you have to give me the name(s) of the Boca Chica girl(s) who pulled a number on you. LOL

-Helpmann

westcoastfantas

Dec 30, 2004
Beware of Male Locals

Hey thanks for the advice about the scandelous individuals. I won't be on the hunt for females because my wife will be with me. All the comments we've read concerning the nightlife there got us interested to at least watch the show. We're staying at the Hamaca so I'm pretty sure we'll hop down the Duarte and see what happening.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
westcoastfantas said:
Hey thanks for the advice about the scandelous individuals. I won't be on the hunt for females because my wife will be with me. All the comments we've read concerning the nightlife there got us interested to at least watch the show. We're staying at the Hamaca so I'm pretty sure we'll hop down the Duarte and see what happening.

If you followed the threads you'd know on Duarte nothing is going on. But well done willing to leave the Hamaca, that is quite brave, good job.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
The bar across from Cosmos disco

Someone in BC told me it was getting ready to reopen. Last Friday I walked by during the day and saw some guys in there revarnishing the chairs and generally spiffing the place up, so it may be true.

What the crackdown did, along with the closing of Cosmos and Zanzibar for apparently unrelated financial reasons, was to kill off the kind of party atmosphere that existed around that little area in the evenings. It did little or nothing to curb prostitution. I was propositioned on the street both day and night, as well as at the beach and of course the remaining disco, Burbujas.

By the way, while the advice given here by Ricardo900 and Berzin is pertinent, I must say that even on my newbie first trip I never found Boca Chica to be as bad as the horror stories I'd heard. Maybe I'm just lucky. ;)

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Boca Chica '95

Why didnt you try it then? Duarte was all open, half was just gravel and sand and you could be tag teamed by two teethless "putas" all the time. What at garden spot it was. Hey they have street lights these days. Like that makes it more beautiful. Check out the past posts. If the person doesn't work in the day for 8 hrs. or does'nt own the place-- run like hell.!! The place has changed considerbly in the last year. Albeit due to the big time inflation rate and cambio for the dollar. Give it time. " e tu prune".