Making the move

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Full access is after 10 posts then one can send PMs etc. and after 500 posts one can join in what is known as Off Topic. Which is going thru growing pains at present.
Der Fish

Yeah and get 3 demerits for going off topic, bad boy, bad boy............ no forum for you!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Oh, ugh... Sorry, just woke up. Did I miss anything?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
So I've been visiting the island for the last five years and (on average I stay for about a month every time I go) but as we all know, visiting conditions are not the same as normal living conditions. My reason for writing this is that I've been noticing more and more lately the difference in my wife's moral when in the states vs when In the DR. It's like i only get to see the woman i fell in love with for 3 weeks out of the year! I'm ready to make this move because i need for her to be happy again did that i can be happy again. So My questions are:

1) What is your average monthly bill total for basic necessities including food and gas?

2) Random question; where can i buy real gym equipment?

3) Is Car insurance worth it? Any Taxes on car? Is there an import discount on cars for citizens returning to the country to live?

Don't everyone answer all at once now haha

Those questions are fine but have you started the residency process? This starts in your home country?

Eyes

Apr 30, 2012
Average bill depends on your monthly budget where you live, size of property you own or rent all depends and on your personal lifestyle

I believe car insurance is correlated to the value of the car and less on driver experience it’s worth it definitely

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
Liability insurance is required. For example, make an illegal left turn and total somebody else's Mercedes and kill two people inside. The driver owes somebody money for that. (from memory) The minimum liability covers RD$ 100,000 in damages and RD$ 100,000 human injury/death. The cost is around RD$ 2,500 / yr. Something with 'reasonable' liability around RD$ 1,000,000 or $RD 2,000,000 is about RD$ 9,000 / yr. In my opinion it's always good to have the maximum liability insurance policy. But having the required minimum should keep you out of hot water if you get into an accident.

Comprehensive/Collision insurance covers your own car. So you spend your own money RD$ 500,000 on a car and you're afraid you will crash your own car into something like a rock or accidentally light your car on fire or something, and want insurance so you don't lose your own money. Or, you borrow RD$ 500,000 from some dude around the corner and he doesn't trust you that much, he wants you to get insurance that pays him if you wreck the car. (Because if you wreck the car you won't be making any more payments). I'm not sure what that kind of insurance will cost, I pay cash for cars and take the risk myself, paying for insurance that covers your own loss is like betting against yourself IMHO. If I break something I have to fix it. :)

white light

Sep 25, 2006
You spoke the Truth

This is no paradise!

I'll throw in my two cents. I agree with Africaida. Why?

I'm married to a Dominican for 40 years. We've had a home there for over 30 years. We spent 2-3 weeks a year in DR for decades, he was always anxious to go and sad to leave. He was joyous there, and a bit down to come home to US. About 10-12 years ago, we started coming for a month at a time. Same thing. Then he added a month unpaid leave, and we stayed two months for a couple of years. Well that was the magic number. Once we retired and started coming there 3-4+ months at a time, the honeymoon was over. He's disgusted with most aspects of life in DR. Once we hit the 3rd month each year, he wants to go home. [I asked him last year before our trip if he was happy to be going home, and he gave me a puzzled look and said "This is home", meaning NJ]. He's tired of everyone trying to rip him off, tired of the electrical issues, tired of something breaking every day, tired of the food, tired of the quality of things he buys that soon break, tired of no AC when the electricity goes off, tired of the mosquitos, just tired of DR life.

It's a whole different story when you live somewhere.

sealuva

Jun 12, 2018
All interesting posts. Everyone has a different perspective of life in the DR. I'll be there soon. Living there is alot different I agree than visiting. It's the only way to know.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I tend to agree with AE's perspective. A little variety goes a long way. Most people I know who live there, and who are happiest, tend to keep their visits limited to several weeks or months at a time.

Seems as though they've figured out that they enjoy snowbirding or an extended vacation (several trips a year, each lasting up to six weeks) works for them. They still largely reap the benefits without the isolation or infrastructure concerns of being here 24/7.

Even the actual residents (people who don't have another place in their home country) tend to travel an awful lot. That way, DR stays fresh and fun, and a bit less tedious.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
IMO, the #1 condition of your success moving to the DR is you, and your attitude. A truism in life: you cannot run away from yourself. You make yourself happy, not the place.

There are challenges to living in the DR are numerous. The differences depend on where your living baseline is. The seems DR is more "foreign" if you're from, say, Omaha than if you're from Washington Heights.

If your personality is averse to change, I would reconsider the move. If your personality embraces change, moving may be a new lease on life.

Another factor is where you choose to relocate. Some areas are easier than others, and some neighborhoods within that area are daunting. The Capital is different from tourist areas and campos.

It also depends on how you need to live. 24/7 electricity and air conditioning? Ha! Good luck. If you don't know basic home repairs, electric, plumbing and water management, waterproofing, electrical management, maybe basic car mechanics, you'll be frustrated. If you do, it's almost fun.

You'll need to develop a thick skin in dealing with poorer people who perceive you as rich. If you don't develop a cynicism toward many people who suddenly want to befriend you, expect more frustrations.

If you don't have productive activities, a job, hobbies or volunteer work Chronic Barstoolism may set in. Idle hands and minds can become their own worst enemies.

I like living here. It's been ten and half years. Now we live in what I consider the nicest town in the DR, a sort of vacation suburb, Jarabacoa. We enjoy small town mountain living with 45-minute access to a modern world with excellent healthcare and shopping options. It's not as expensive as many areas, but a lot nicer and secure than campos.

On a cost basis, if you try to duplicate how you currently live, the DR it can be much more expensive. If you can adapt to Dominican life and choose your compromises well, the DR can be a very reasonable place to live. Fortunately many more and less-expensive consumer options and services are becoming available. Maybe not like the First World, but a HUGE difference from ten years ago. But it still ain't Kansas.

And keep in mind: some expats are among the least trustworthy people you can deal with. Just because they speak your language, while a good basis for conversation, it does NOT mean they are good, honest people. Mant expats are trying to run away from themselves in the DR. That is a hard lesson for many expats to learn.

But bottom line: if you and your spouse aren't happy where you live now, you won't be happy in the DR. YOU make the difference, not the place.

sealuva

Jun 12, 2018
IMO, the #1 condition of your success moving to the DR is you, and your attitude. A truism in life: you cannot run away from yourself. You make yourself happy, not the place.

There are challenges to living in the DR are numerous. The differences depend on where your living baseline is. The seems DR is more "foreign" if you're from, say, Omaha than if you're from Washington Heights.

If your personality is averse to change, I would reconsider the move. If your personality embraces change, moving may be a new lease on life.

Another factor is where you choose to relocate. Some areas are easier than others, and some neighborhoods within that area are daunting. The Capital is different from tourist areas and campos.

It also depends on how you need to live. 24/7 electricity and air conditioning? Ha! Good luck. If you don't know basic home repairs, electric, plumbing and water management, waterproofing, electrical management, maybe basic car mechanics, you'll be frustrated. If you do, it's almost fun.

You'll need to develop a thick skin in dealing with poorer people who perceive you as rich. If you don't develop a cynicism toward many people who suddenly want to befriend you, expect more frustrations.

If you don't have productive activities, a job, hobbies or volunteer work Chronic Barstoolism may set in. Idle hands and minds can become their own worst enemies.

I like living here. It's been ten and half years. Now we live in what I consider the nicest town in the DR, a sort of vacation suburb, Jarabacoa. We enjoy small town mountain living with 45-minute access to a modern world with excellent healthcare and shopping options. It's not as expensive as many areas, but a lot nicer and secure than campos.

On a cost basis, if you try to duplicate how you currently live, the DR it can be much more expensive. If you can adapt to Dominican life and choose your compromises well, the DR can be a very reasonable place to live. Fortunately many more and less-expensive consumer options and services are becoming available. Maybe not like the First World, but a HUGE difference from ten years ago. But it still ain't Kansas.

And keep in mind: some expats are among the least trustworthy people you can deal with. Just because they speak your language, while a good basis for conversation, it does NOT mean they are good, honest people. Mant expats are trying to run away from themselves in the DR. That is a hard lesson for many expats to learn.

But bottom line: if you and your spouse aren't happy where you live now, you won't be happy in the DR. YOU make the difference, not the place.

Great info. But I don't like where I live due to the high costs of living across the board. I won't even get started on this thread. Niceties come a pretty premium in the states. If you can live without some of them, or alot of them, you can be good.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
With family in Tenares, you may want to spend some time in Santiago.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012

You are absolutely right cobraboy. I moved in the DR in November 2011 from Québec, Canada... Never went back, not even to visit. I lived in Munoz for a while, Puerto Plata for 11 months and now in Sabaneta de Yasica. NO gated community for me. I can't stand the expats or tourists... I know I know...

I adjusted to the DR really fast, learning Spanish on the streets, or like we say in Québec, "sur le tas", which means on the pile.. I like to live with the people, mostly regular people, but I don't fraternize too much... Just good neighbours or business... For the rest, like electricity, water, etc... I go with the flow and I do like the Dominicans, I am VERY creative...

I still love it here and have NO plans to go back to Québec. Unless I am kicked out...

jtom343

Nov 8, 2017
Have moved here for 6 months and many posts above have very good points.

To answer your question I live in La Romana in a gated community.

Rent:$800 monthly
Electricity: $150-$200 monthly
Health insurance$50 usd per person
Car insurance: $60 monthly
Groceries: $120 weekly.. Meat and Veggies of American type diet

Upfront costs of a container to move costs me about $6k for a 20 foot container
Car costs $8k but better to get that done sooner than later BC rentals will kill you.
Also, a friend is moving out of the country and selling a car if you need something reliable. PM me.

There are plenty of other things, but can’t think of any right now off the top of my head.

If I was you, I’d sell all my possession in the states and just buy everything in the country. The container costs themselves are a huge burden and that’s not even mentioning the burden of dealing with the movers. I guess depends on where you are and all but seems like you are in my shoes from 6 months ago. Glad to help btw

jtom343

Nov 8, 2017
I did think that DR would be cheaper and was surprised a bit by the costs of some things. Labor can be cheap though.

jtom343

Nov 8, 2017
Whoever revived this thread is a jerk. Totally tricked me! I just realized OP posted this almost exactly a year ago. So any updates? How was the move?

I did think that DR would be cheaper and was surprised a bit by the costs of some things. Labor can be cheap though.