Man vs Wild

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
It looks a lot to me like el blanco, near Jarabacoa in the Cordillera Central. Only thing that I see wrong with it is the amount of water coming down, as the current is not that heavy during normal times. Unless this video was taped during a storm hitting the DR with heavy rains (which makes the guy crazy to begin with).

We took several trips there while I was in the Scouts of Santiago to that area.

There is a very nice water fall called Salto aguas blancas, very steep and hard to climb if ever possible...

I doubt this is Damajagua...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I think it's being filmed in Panama...not DR.....link below

DiscoveryChannel.ca

It looks a lot to me like el blanco, near Jarabacoa in the Cordillera Central. Only thing that I see wrong with it is the amount of water coming down, as the current is not that heavy during normal times. Unless this video was taped during a storm hitting the DR with heavy rains (which makes the guy crazy to begin with).

We took several trips there while I was in the Scouts of Santiago to that area.

There is a very nice water fall called Salto aguas blancas, very steep and hard to climb if ever possible...

I doubt this is Damajagua like posted in another thread or Panama as well...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Well the little island he made it to first is the Beata, on the south coast of the DR, right on the SSE of Pedernales province. From there you can track his entry point to the main island.

The stranded ship is called Konstantinos, a big talk issue in DR1 some time ago...

This is the boat on google earth map:
beata.jpg

This is the actual coastal point of entry the film took place at (Bahia de Las Aguilas in Pedernales):

Bahia%20de%20las%20Aguilas,%20Pedernales,%20Rep.%20Dom..jpg

347876911_2fd13970c4_o.jpg

They just took the rough way into the island...

As for the river and fall, my view still centers on my first post's option...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The "Ouch!" parts:

191798540_40af24fbb1_b.jpg

191802244_ea67ab62cd_b.jpg

It looks (a lot) like the filming was done in separated parts and not in a single path of way, as described following the story in the program...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Now... I wish he really had taken the extremes in the DR to gives an idea of how to survive in each location. Extremes you ask?

The arid w/o water:

Las Dunas de Bani.
160457109_a0c9dce792.jpg

236194978_21b20c919b.jpg

El Valle de Tetero, w/o a compass to guide you during daylight and extreme fog conditions and a time limit (to avoid a deadly outcome for the survivalist).
dscn2434jx6.jpg

And El valle de lilis:
523865666_7bdf2b3384_o.jpg

The super cold of the Constanza nights during the coldest weeks of the year:
1970129_2a12ab2320_o.jpg

1970230_12c133fd52_o.jpg

1970186_874739844e_o.jpg

Now! That would captivate my eyes a whole lot more than some stuff I used to do in my boy scout's years...

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Is El Valle de Lil?s part of El Tetero?

The fall: is that El Lim?n? (Haven't been there yet.)

You wicked tempter :p ;), sharing those pictures! Now I need to find out where I can get that episode. Thanks for posting.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Is El Valle de Lil?s part of El Tetero?

The fall: is that El Lim?n? (Haven't been there yet.)

You wicked tempter :p ;), sharing those pictures! Now I need to find out where I can get that episode. Thanks for posting.

Nope! Not the Limon... LOL!!!!
There are so many falls in the DR you still don't know about!!!!!!
One of these days when I'm not sick (sore throat) or busy, I promise to post a collection of pictures from ALL the DR's water falls, river and valleys you could ever dream of ever get to see or know about...

I keep pictures from Ciclon David's Yaque del Norte swollen path in the Cibao and Santiago. Also ones from Eloisa and the river at Salto Anacaona and Inoa...

Both the Valle de Tetero and Lilis are in the close area of Pico Duarte!
The Valle de Lilis is smaller but not less spectacular than the Valle de Tetero. The Valle de Lilis is also called "Vallecito" as in "Little Valley", but don't let that fool you one bit...

There are many ways to make the trek, some are quite daring and only left to pros or crazy people (like I used to be) and the others are not as easy but less hazardous to travel with guides. This is NOT the place to play the leader!!!!! You can easily get lost during a heavy fog in the valley and lose your direction... The Lilis is right between the Pelona and the Pico Duarte and quite at an altitude!

I recall once that the "macheteros" of the Dominican Army had to comb the area looking for some lost people there. Even the troops came back exhausted from the search, imagine the lost party!!!!

People (foreigners) see the DR's developed areas in the cities and small towns, for some reason they think of our mountain ranges like nice green backyards to venture and have fun. Many can't understand that they're mostly void of housing and squatters for a very good reason they shouldn't take lightly.

I can recall one incident during a trip to Isla Cabritos, when one of the kids kept messing with a few lizards and all of sudden we had to run like if a T-rex was on our tails!!! I swear they had to be hundreds of them!!!

That little spider is nothing to what I have seen in the Bermudez Park...

Man! We had fun back them!!!! LOL!!

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
There are so many falls in the DR you still don't know about!!!!!!
One of these days when I'm not sick (sore throat) or busy, I promise to post a collection of pictures from ALL the DR's water falls, river and valleys you could ever dream of ever get to see or know about...

You got that right :) I unfortunately didn't have adventurous parents or uncles or other close relatives to explore the country with, not that way at least. Maybe one day you should be a guide and show me and hubby some of the good stuff :p We're not trekkers or hikers but we enjoy things like this.

Thanks for the info, very interesting.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It was definitely filmed in several places, including Pico Duarte. At one point he said he was on the highest mountain in the Caribbean.

What I found funny was that he "found" these chickens which he said were "wild fowl". He killed one of them and ate it...I kept waiting for a farmer with a Machete to pop up and chase the heck out of them for eating his chickens...LOL

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
It was definitely filmed in several places, including Pico Duarte. At one point he said he was on the highest mountain in the Caribbean.

What I found funny was that he "found" these chickens which he said were "wild fowl". He killed one of them and ate it...I kept waiting for a farmer with a Machete to pop up and chase the heck out of them for eating his chickens...LOL

I do think that "part" got stuck in the editing room's floor... LOL!!!
That was not a wild fowl! You need a long barreled shotgun to even get 20 yards close to a wild one!!! LOL!!!

Mire! Mari..n!! Gringo e'la porra! Pagame mi pollo carajo!!! LOL!!!!!

Adio' he loco ei tipo ete'! Bucame mi cuaito!!! Maidito!!!

After the guys paid:

Ta'ba' bueno e'? Ese pollo taba' bien' alimentao'!!! No quiere otro con totones?

LOL!!!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

LOL, very funny, i missed the show, completely forgot about it last night, i will try to find in tonight, i hope they have the rerun tonight.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I think it was all done on the South Coast.

Although he mentioned "the highest mountain in the Caribbean" he wasn't actually there. He was just referencing the extremes in temperature that are possible. He made numerous references about the island's history and lost "explorers" and whatnot - no story that would surprise a DR1 reader.

He came in from an island from the South (as detailed already) and just made a bee-line due north until he found a frosty grande at a Colmado.

I was able to watch the whole show, and for the most part it was pretty lame. It was great to see, and sort of feel, the pile of coral under my feet again, but this "show" has sort of run its course in my mind.

As mentioned earlier, a trip on the publico, navigating SD traffic, or an overnight in a barrio would be far more entertaining and death defying than fighting off the prickly spines of cactus and making a hammock.

Hell, I saw a women take a "wild" chicken out at a bus stop one day with her high heel, and she went to work from there.