Manholes... be careful!

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008

Yes, it is almost a deja vu but not quite... the Sosua thread was on a slightly different tangent. I wanted people visiting and living here in PUJ to know that even though we have manhole covers here are in situ - some have the unfortunate distinction of moving when you walk on them whilst others stay in place. I think it is almost more dangerous like that as the majority of tourists see one and think that like 'at home' (wherever that may be) they are safe to walk on.. well they are not! It is like Russian Roulette :(

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
so dangerous... what is it with all these manhole covers missing?.. I came one step away from it on unlit sidewalk outside of Espinal bus in Santo Domingo a few months back as I tried to cross the busy 27 Febrero street , criss-crossing between cars as you do ,in the dark and then, leaping to the sidewalk.. only to be grabbed by the shoulder by an angel at the very last moment and pulled back.. as I looked in horror at what would have happened,...I needed a shot of brugal after that.. it was.. a deep hole, maybe 4 fr , with iron stakes poking out of the middle... and easily wide enough to swallow me up....I would have been impaled... how many must suffer needles accident... ? it s outrageous... so people... as the adage goes.. ALWAYS LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP....

Oh too true, the hole I fell down didn't have any stakes but I couldn't touch the ground it was too deep and goodness knows what was in the bottom. All I can say is thank goodness you had a guardian angel looking out for you! I did too as I happened to be able to put my arms out and stop myself sliding in any further but if AMET and the hotel security hadn't been close by I would have slipped in taking my dog with me and she, no doubt would have scratched my face and upper body in terror (wouldn't have been her fault)... I shudder to think that I could have fallen in and no one would have seen me. I must have a guardian angel watching over me that day!

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
They steal them and sell them for scrap metal. Santiago is infamous and a few have gone missing in Sosua. Be careful if driving a pasola. With your car or jeepeta it could cost you a tire or suspention but on a small bike you're in trouble.

Too true, but this was on a sidewalk where people are encouraged to walk!!! And to think that it looked as innocent as any other manhole cover.. this one moved when I stepped on it but the one next to it didn't! So don't even rely on the ones that look like they will take your weight or you can drive over.....