Many Dominicans Returning From Europe and US With Government Help

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
NAS ... you have a valid gripe .......

Not saying it's right or wrong but ... a lot has been written about how much (and why) Expats complain .... in fact, all over the world. (I think it probably starts with complaints about their own country...) :cheeky:

Since there are so many articles, I'm just going to provide a list to choose from:

Complaining Expats

It's epidemic (and contagious?).

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
OK Gorgon, I believe it now. All I was asking for was the report and you produced it.

I don't know you or Cobra or anybody on this board personally and having read some majorly idiotic comments from dr1.comers over the years I have grown quite skeptical about basically everything posted here.

Ginza, with the passage of time you wil come to know me as a poster who rarely makes a statement that i cannot substantiate. a few of the bits of information might be old, and i just cannot seem to find them, but, generally speaking, i like to be safe in that regard. too many guys waiting to pounce.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Constant complaining stems from not being truly happy with your situation. When you are not happy with your life the way it is every single thing around you is a trigger. You can be a ticking time bomb and when something doesn't go your way you are exactly the "nut job" that goes into a ranting fit yelling at everyone around you or you bottle it in and go to forums to rant about it. We should absolutely point out particular businesses, etc. that rip people off and do bad things but when we say all Dominicans are this or that it is insulting and plain wrong. All Dominicans are not anything, all Americans are not anything, All Europeans are not anything, etc. I think we all know that to be true. The focus needs to be on particular people and places that are good or bad and not bashing an entire society.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
constant praise stems from being altogether too happy-go-lucky with your situation. when you are overly happy with your life the way it is every single thing around you is a trigger. you can be a ticking time bomb and when something doesn't go your way you are exactly the "nut job" that suddenly starts drooling and signing soft kitty in public you or you bottle it in and go to forums to sign hallelujah about it.
there, fixed it for ya!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
To nas and gurabo.... I can imagine that DR1 can be a frustrating place for an educated Dominican. My husband is a proud Dominican too, but he complains almost as much as the posters here, for many of the same reasons. I think it's a matter of he's allowed to diss Dominicans, but would be as insulted and indignant as you both are if an 'outsider' painted all Dominicans with the same broad brush.

I think the Dominicans who post on DR1 are invaluable, and I hope you all continue to post, and to identify yourself as Dominicans because:
1. You give a perspective that many posters here will never have
2. You prove there are articulate and educated bi-lingual Dominicans
3. You may be the only positive Dominican 'relationship' some here will have.
4. And mostly because from time to time some of our posters need a good kick-in-the-butt to remind them they are guests in the DR, and they should cut down on the bashing and get out there and enjoy what this beautiful island has to offer.

Well said.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
constant praise stems from being altogether too happy-go-lucky with your situation. when you are overly happy with your life the way it is every single thing around you is a trigger. you can be a ticking time bomb and when something doesn't go your way you are exactly the "nut job" that suddenly starts drooling and signing soft kitty in public you or you bottle it in and go to forums to sign hallelujah about it.
there, fixed it for ya!

there ya go. just got my fix of intelligent thinking for today.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies

"Households with children with the highest welfare use rates are those headed by immigrants from the Dominican Republic (82 percent), Mexico and Guatemala (75 percent), and Ecuador (70 percent). Those with the lowest use rates are from the United Kingdom (7 percent), India (19 percent), Canada (23 percent), and Korea (25 percent)."

I don't know what's more shocking here...the fact that so many Dominicans (82%) are on Welfare, or that 25% of all Koreans are on welfare also. But only 7% of U.K immigrants.

Frank

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
there, fixed it for ya!

You are right. You can't be insanely happy all the time and think things are perfect. I know I sound that way now but that is just because I'm focusing on all the negativity. Just as much as I have spoken against the negativity I would also say that if someone thought this (or anywhere) was truly a perfect place to be with no issues whatsoever they were also insane. We have our issues. We just have to deal with them. Bashing everyone all the time is not the way to do it. That just leads to more issues.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
there ya go, La Barbie. seems like a dirty little secret is that there is a greater fraction of Canadians on welfare in the USA than there are among the people from the East...care to expound? maybe Limbaugh or Hannity could assist you?

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
please go on and on. also, please give us a list of these middle eastern countries. finally, when you cast your brush, remember that some of us here have either spent considerable time in Canada, or have family living there, and might have a different take on things.

Facts and figures 2010 – Immigration overview: Permanent and temporary residents

Annual Report to Parliament on Immigration, 2011

Wether in Montreal,Toronto or Vancouver,
Visit an elementary or high school and look at the demographics and you'll see the future.
It is hard to believe that a higher percentage of Europeans would not like to emigrate to Canada.
Balanced immigration by the "conservative" government?
Maybe the Europeans, Can. and US citizens are all combing to the DR?
The crisis in Europe is real and far from over,Spain GDP 2012 -1.4% unemployment 26%, France predicted to shrink by 0.3%.
The exception being Germany with a predicted growth by the OECD of 2.4%.

http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/eu/forecasts/2012_autumn_forecast_en.htm

Barahonacity

Dec 2, 2012
Haha...yeah, i got several Dominican cousins living and working in Massachusetts right now--especially within the suburbs of Boston.

Massachusetts has a large Dominican population...as does New York, and up and down the East Coast.

However, go out west--California, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, etc, or the Bible Belt--Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, etc, or the Northern states--Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana, etc, or the Midwest--Nebraska, Colorado, Indiana, Kansas, etc, and see if you can duplicate that experience.

Not going to be easy.

Let's face it, Massachusetts & New York has a lot of Dominicans. Other states...not so much.

Frank

Believe it or not, California has the most Dominicans followed by Florida and then NY.

Barahonacity

Dec 2, 2012
Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies

"Households with children with the highest welfare use rates are those headed by immigrants from the Dominican Republic (82 percent), Mexico and Guatemala (75 percent), and Ecuador (70 percent). Those with the lowest use rates are from the United Kingdom (7 percent), India (19 percent), Canada (23 percent), and Korea (25 percent)."

I don't know what's more shocking here...the fact that so many Dominicans (82%) are on Welfare, or that 25% of all Koreans are on welfare also. But only 7% of U.K immigrants.

Frank

That's old. Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain
More White's and Black's than hispanics

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
According to the 2010 Census,the state with the largest population of Dominicans is New York.

Dec 26, 2011
Believe it or not, California has the most Dominicans followed by Florida and then NY.

Nope. Not even in the top ten.

New York - 674,787
New Jersey - 197,922
Florida - 172,451
Massachusetts - 103,292
Pennsylvania - 62,348*
Rhode Island - 35,008
Connecticut - 26,093
North Carolina - 15,225
Georgia - 14,941
Maryland - 14, 873

*I can take credit for 12 of that number. :)