Marbete time!

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Marbete-2024-DGII.png

It’s that time of the year again. At the onset of the Christmas holidays, the Taxes Agency (DGII) announced that only 678,000 persons have renewed their vehicle registration tax called the “marbete,” a small sticker that goes on the windshield of all cars. Time is running out and there are a million cars and light trucks that have not obtained theirs yet. The renewal period ends on 31 January 2024.

Called a “circulation tax,” the sticker is required to drive a car or pickup truck in the Dominican Republic.

What makes this newsworthy is that while it is very easy to obtain one of these stickers, every year folks wait until the very last minute to obtain it. With just a photocopy of the vehicle’s registration, a photocopy of the cedula, and the required fee, the sticker can be obtained at almost any financial institution, especially all of the branches of the various savings and loan...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NanSanPedro

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
We did not need a cedula. The passport was offered but I'm not sure it was necessary.
Anyone can renew your Marbete with just a copy of your Matricula. You see runners renewing dozens at a time............

Reactions: cavok

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Oh dear. We had this discussion about the need for a cedula a while ago. Needless to say, Windeguy had a strong opinion on this which went against the experience of others.

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Today is the deadline for marbete sales. Today it expires and there is still 16.66% left to renew​

This Wednesday, January 31, the deadline given by the General Directorate of Internal Taxes (DGII) for the renewal of the vehicle circulation tax , better known as the tag, expires and the owners of 295 vehicles (16.66 %).

According to the data provided by the DGII, as of yesterday, they had renewed one million 475 thousand 307 vehicles (83.34%) of a total of 770 thousand 261 that the Dominican vehicle fleet has.

Collections currently exceed two billion 445 million 396 thousand pesos (RD$2,445,396,000.00). The DGII plans to raise RD$2,881.8 million.

The DGII said that of the total amount collected, 87.32% was made through authorized financial entities, 9.37 % through the DGII web portal and 2.96% through DGII offices.

The authorities have established that there will be no extension and that anyone who fails to pay by today will then have to pay an additional two thousand pesos, in addition to the 1,500 pesos charged to vehicles from 2018 and back and three thousand pesos, to those from 2019 to the present.

Starting on February 1, agents from the General Directorate of Traffic and Land Transportation Security will proceed to inspect those who do not have their updated tag.

I bought all of mine on the first day and they're still in the envelope on my kitchen counter. Talk about procrastination.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Quote: I bought all of mine on the first day and they're still in the envelope on my kitchen counter. Talk about procrastination.

JD you have been here so long that you are a real Dominican....................LOL

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All mine were purchased during the first week. No cedula was asked for, it was already in their system and
is easily called up and verified because your picture is right there on their screen for them to see because the data bases are linked.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
All mine were purchased during the first week. No cedula was asked for, it was already in their system and
is easily called up and verified because your picture is right there on their screen for them to see because the data bases are linked.
That´s because the cedula # is on the copy of the registration you give them.
And that is what they use.

Reactions: windeguy

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The person doing the renewal can be anyone, they don´t look at the picture.
I do the one for my wife and we don´t look at all alike. :cool:

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Also make sure that you write the stupid plate number on the marbete or it's deemed invalid you know cause someone can take the sticker from the inside of your car and then place it on theirs while keeping all the glue intact and making sure it's perfect like the first time it was peeled off. Seriously stupidest thing ever they made me pay last year too cause it wasn't in the system then when I went to take a pic of the marbete on my vehicle they said oh you didn't write the plate number it's invalid now, buy last years mother of a fudge platano it makes me angry.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The person doing the renewal can be anyone, they don´t look at the picture.
I do the one for my wife and we don´t look at all alike. :cool:
They have no rule against anyone else getting the Marbete for you. Runners come in with a dozen or more all the time................................

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Quote: I bought all of mine on the first day and they're still in the envelope on my kitchen counter. Talk about procrastination.

JD you have been here so long that you are a real Dominican....................LOL
Ran out and stuck mine on a little while ago. Threw last years marbete in the trash because I never stuck it on because I wasn't using the truck.
I'm good to go!

Reactions: SKY

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Huge lines ( 60 or more ) of Dominicans at Banco National today - they never seem to learn.
Next year I will remember to camp out there to take photos to show the sight of asshole-to-elbow procrastinators

• Haha
Reactions: Kricke87 and Peterj

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Also make sure that you write the stupid plate number on the marbete or it's deemed invalid you know cause someone can take the sticker from the inside of your car and then place it on theirs while keeping all the glue intact and making sure it's perfect like the first time it was peeled off. Seriously stupidest thing ever they made me pay last year too cause it wasn't in the system then when I went to take a pic of the marbete on my vehicle they said oh you didn't write the plate number it's invalid now, buy last years mother of a fudge platano it makes me angry.
Where ever I have ever purchased the marbete, it has been them always writing the place on the marbete, as in my opinion it would indeed make no sense otherwise. Marbete should be connected to your vehicle, and without the place number there, I don't see where the connection would be, but that's just me...

Reactions: malko and JD Jones