Marcha Verde: the day of wearing green

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I wasn't aware of restrictions against foreign residents participating, is this a law or a suggestion? (Not that I could ever walk that far anyway, lol)

it's against the constitution:
Es deber de todo extranjero abstenerse de participar en actividades políticas en territorio dominicano.
article 9.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
it's against the constitution:
Es deber de todo extranjero abstenerse de participar en actividades políticas en territorio dominicano.
article 9.

Thanks! After all these years, still learning things on DR1.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
From what I've seen in the news today, both marches - in Santo Domingo and in Manhattan - were huge successes. Endless sea of green clad marchers. Mr. AE thinks they may evolve into a political party, and if they do, there may be no stopping them.

19958926_10213794559318889_6673782203400730648_n.jpg

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
From what I've seen in the news today, both marches - in Santo Domingo and in Manhattan - were huge successes. Endless sea of green clad marchers. Mr. AE thinks they may evolve into a political party, and if they do, there may be no stopping them.

View attachment 2652
Let's hope!

20106426_1536707859726648_3177206332621659413_n.jpg

Alida is actively involved in the new recycling program being set up in Jarabacoa. And once a month a group gives a box of food for bringing three large lawn trash bags full of plastic (but no foam).

When we walk every day, we take trash bags to store the plastic bottles thrown on the side of the road we pick up. If I could only rig up something for Toby to wear, like saddle bags...

If everybody did just *their* bit, pick up trash, leave things better than how you found them, show no tolerance for corruption, we can change things.

Sep 4, 2012
Let's hope!

20106426_1536707859726648_3177206332621659413_n.jpg

Alida is actively involved in the new recycling program being set up in Jarabacoa. And once a month a group gives a box of food for bringing three large lawn trash bags full of plastic (but no foam).

When we walk every day, we take trash bags to store the plastic bottles thrown on the side of the road we pick up. If I could only rig up something for Toby to wear, like saddle bags...

If everybody did just *their* bit, pick up trash, leave things better than how you found them, show no tolerance for corruption, we can change things.

It takes one to involve others and dominoes effect from there but I highly doubt the green movement itself would change anything for long or better in the DR. At the end, who are the sources behind it, who is forging the logistics, supplies, communications, support, relations, in other words -- where is the money coming from?

Nothing is free, I won't even expand that context when we are addressing business in the DR, should I?

While we at it, have the green movement strong-holds addressed the OderB catastrophe yet?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Mr. AE thinks they may evolve into a political party, and if they do, there may be no stopping them.

they already denied that:
http://www.losmocanos.com/web/nacio...ega-que-tengan-en-agenda-ser-partido-politico
i feel if they became a political party they would lose all credibility and that would end them.

It takes one to involve others and dominoes effect from there but I highly doubt the green movement itself would change anything for long or better in the DR. At the end, who are the sources behind it, who is forging the logistics, supplies, communications, support, relations, in other words -- where is the money coming from?

there's been some talk about it recently after dominican businesses cut financing marcha verde:
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/06/...archa-verde-porque-ldquo-han-desvirtuadordquo
MV was quick to respond that they were never supported by industries:
http://hoy.com.do/marcha-verde-niega-la-patrocinen-los-empresarios/

there were of course accusations that MV is moved by the opposition:
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...5/herrera-afirma-partidos-mueven-marcha-verde
which was then denied:
https://elnuevodiario.com.do/luis-miguel-de-camps-marcha-verde-no-la-dirige-ningun-partido-politico/

Sep 4, 2012
Thanks dv8, good reading but questions are still in orbit, this as any organization needs economic resources to go on; who is providing it for la marcha verde?

Sep 4, 2012
It certainly smells, although has the support and popularity people need to start looking in and question it to establish transparency.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Nothing is free, I won't even expand that context when we are addressing business in the DR, should I?

While we at it, have the green movement strong-holds addressed the OderB catastrophe yet?
Certainly not tomorrow.

But there are a lot of folks who agree with them. While a company may *officially* disagree with them, many of their employees support them.

I don't think it's a political thing, more like a "we're mad as hell and aren't going to take it much longer" movement.

While money may be the mother's milk of politics, people feed that mother.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What's the betting that there will be a new political party with affiliation to the green colour?

During the last general election, when I asked Dominicans how they would vote, many of them replied with a colour.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What's the betting that there will be a new political party with affiliation to the green colour?

During the last general election, when I asked Dominicans how they would vote, many of them replied with a colour.

I could be wrong, but I think Aristy's party is green. 

Sep 4, 2012
Certainly not tomorrow.

But there are a lot of folks who agree with them. While a company may *officially* disagree with them, many of their employees support them.

I don't think it's a political thing, more like a "we're mad as hell and aren't going to take it much longer" movement.

While money may be the mother's milk of politics, people feed that mother.

The sentiment/motive isn't in question, rather the vehicle leading them through the path and at which expense at the end?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The sentiment/motive isn't in question, rather the vehicle leading them through the path and at which expense at the end?
It's called "a 60 dgree incline."

It's like the states: the establishment doesn't like competition, so if they see you as a threat, they will destroy you.

One difference in the DR is that much funding for electoral activities is granted by the gubmint. I'm sure you see a problem there.

BUT...

Gotta start somewhere.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
My view of this popularist movement is that it is being stirred up by ridiculous lies and exaggerations and for solely political gain by people who are as corrupt as those they protest against ,
The Oberdecht bribery case is one of a company getting caught out paying bribes of $92 million to gain over $ 5 billion dollars of work .the first time we have had such quality work all over this country and now , through demands that Oberdecht must leave the DR , much road and civil construction work is un finished , thousands of jobs are lost and there is no alternative company .. cutting off your nose to spite your face.
As for the corruption allegations , they are never stated just generalised . Most people here know that at all levels , you must pay for special favours ,it is the latin way , but most departments here function quite well without any reported corruptions . It is the exceptions that people make into generalisations that is so ridiculous and everyone creates from a suspicion an accusation . This country is going along very well and I dread what would happen if these green people had any say .

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The Oberdecht bribery case is one of a company getting caught out paying bribes of $92 million to gain over $ 5 billion dollars of work .the first time we have had such quality work all over this country and now , through demands that Oberdecht must leave the DR , much road and civil construction work is un finished , thousands of jobs are lost and there is no alternative company .. cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Odebrecht has indeed done fantastic work, and many projects need to be completed.

That is no excuse for corruption, even such a small %.