Marijuana in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
From what I have read marijuana is illegal in DR, and medical marijuana is completely out of the question. I know some Caribbean countries are very strict with their drug laws on citizens, yet the tourist drug trade is abundant like Jamaica for instance. Last time I was in the Dominican I was offered cocaine many times while on the resort. I'm not a hard drug user, I'm a second generation hippy on a holiday. I also not looking to end up in a negative situation while away, and I don't want any trouble. Is the general consensus that marijuana is a hard drug in DR, and any sort of asking locals, will only lead to problems, and issues? Are police actively looking for marijuana buyers and sellers? Do local Dominicans smoke marijuana, or is it generally frowned at in the community, I don't want to offend someone by asking them if I decide to.

sorry if this post violates the terms, I'm just trying to figure out where the DR stands between cuba(better chance swimming to FL then finding herb) and Jamaica ( I was being offered herb on the bus before i even got to the hotel) if it matters, I'm a Canadian card holding medical user for Chron's and IBS.

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
Don't even talk about it here in the DR!
If you go to jail here, you will really get an "Irritable Bowl Syndrome! :eek::eek::eek:
Cris Colon

LMFAO, it just really surprised me how cheap and easy it would have been to get hard stuff I have no interest in, yet a little smoke seems like a huge deal, is everyone too coked out to wanna chill out and relax? Or is there not enough $$$$ in the green stuff? Errr brown stuff ill bet. Lol

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The police gets paid by the dealers so they can sell drugs at ease (los peajes/Puntos de drogas). Police mostly won't bother the drug dealer. However, they usually go after tourist caught with a ridiculously small amount of weed/coke in order to get a big amount of money out of you.

My advice: Drink mojitos!

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
The police gets paid by the dealers so they can sell drugs at ease (los peajes/Puntos de drogas). Police mostly won't bother the drug dealer. However, they usually go after tourist caught with a ridiculously small amount of weed/coke in order to get a big amount of money out of you.

My advice: Drink mojitos!

and this is what I was figuring would be the case, I'm more of the type to find a cleaner guy, or cook or bartender to find me something so I don't have to leave the resort safety, but if its as bad as you guys say, I might as well not even ask them as they could be offended by my asking.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You can find it easily, but because you can't trust anyone you stand a good chance that as soon as the dealer leaves you, the police will grab you and you WILL end up paying about RD5-10,000 for not going to jail. If you can't or don't pay then in a tourist area they will most likely take you to court the next morning where you will be ordered to pay a higher fine, if in the city then you will spend 3 days in the lock up before court, and that alone makes it not worth it.
I'm sure you can chill out without a spliff.

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
You can find it easily, but because you can't trust anyone you stand a good chance that as soon as the dealer leaves you, the police will grab you and you WILL end up paying about RD5-10,000 for not going to jail. If you can't or don't pay then in a tourist area they will most likely take you to court the next morning where you will be ordered to pay a higher fine, if in the city then you will spend 3 days in the lock up before court, and that alone makes it not worth it.
I'm sure you can chill out without a spliff.

Yep, couldn't smoke enough to make that worthwhile...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It's not doom and gloom, you asked a question, people who live and know the country are giving you the answer. If you want doom and gloom then don't listen, you will not appreciate just how disgusting station lock ups are until you've been in one. No seats, or toilet, or privacy an old overflowing paint bucket where everyone is sh1tting and pi$$ing infront of you, sit on the floor and you're sitting in pi$$ and sh1t. On the other hand, people are openly smoking drugs, maybe you'd enjoy it!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
seems a little excessive over a couple spiffs but ill take your word for it...

You don't get it. Police aren't arresting anyone because they are breaking the law, they do it to get something out of it. Crime does pay here, specifically the police!

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
pollorgringo is on the money....the 1st time here it was weired coke,herion,etc. everywhere...weed wow u a mad mad drug person lol lol...now i been here for 5 yrs.. a live among dominincans...it is the same as the states or canada..they laught at me when i smoke a cigar now..****e my girl and a few friends one nite all smoked a cigar with me..but be very careful and smart don't feel right walk away..i understand could not go on vacation without some good cigars ... BE SMART

Dec 26, 2011
You don't get it. Police aren't arresting anyone because they are breaking the law, they do it to get something out of it. Crime does pay here, specifically the police!

That's the point, Leines. They'll shake you down without cause. If they see a real violation, it'll get exponentially worse. Know where you are, whom you're with, what time it is, etc. If in doubt, go without. Just go slow.

BILLYRAY

Mar 29, 2012
Oh my girl and all friends are dominicans...and most of the men r police that i hang with..my girls brothers r pigs...the point after years of wacthing me smoke a cigar they figure it doesn't make u a mad killer...and givadogahome is right on too..the police here (the pigs) r a joke only $$$$$$ and yes lots r my friends lol last week a guy took my girls cell and we c him around...i had to pay the pigs 4000peso after i went a took a bat to him and his scooter and got cell back..lol lol

Leines

Jan 27, 2013
On the other hand, people are openly smoking drugs, maybe you'd enjoy it!
I was appreciative of your posts up until the insults. The point was everyone had given me the worse possible outcomes, and he was the first to give any sort of post that wasn't you'll be butt raped in prison..... Last time I checked your responses were the doom and gloom of possible outcomes and although that may be the reality of the situation, it doesn't make it any less doom and gloom....

i don't consider myself a drug user or addict. Maybe you don't agree with my choice of medications however that is between myself and my Doctor, and has nothing to do with you. Maybe you missed the part where I am LEGALLY allowed to smoke in my home country?

Status
Not open for further replies.