Massive >4km backup this morning at the peaje for the airport

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am out already --- in an old stomping ground of yours..... Westchester Cty

My daughter...... read my 7 1/2 mo thread and you'll be up to date

You're slipping......not as current as you were !!
But still loved !!

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Just an update on this. I came back from Bravo San Isidro on uber about 130PM today. The sign said paso rapido exclusive in lanes 1, 2, and 14, with 14 being reserved for 18 wheelers. However, reality was lanes 1 thru 6 were exclusive to paso rapido for cars and light trucks.

We stayed in the cash lane for 10 minutes before getting thru. Wasn't horrible, given that I'm retired and don't give a shit about 10 minutes. I did notice that a couple of the paso rapido lanes were backed up 4 or 5 cars. It had to be a malfunction, either the software or the drivers.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just an update on this. I came back from Bravo San Isidro on uber about 130PM today. The sign said paso rapido exclusive in lanes 1, 2, and 14, with 14 being reserved for 18 wheelers. However, reality was lanes 1 thru 6 were exclusive to paso rapido for cars and light trucks.

We stayed in the cash lane for 10 minutes before getting thru. Wasn't horrible, given that I'm retired and don't give a shit about 10 minutes. I did notice that a couple of the paso rapido lanes were backed up 4 or 5 cars. It had to be a malfunction, either the software or the drivers.
I can't grasp why a Paso Rapido user would get into a line when there are other lanes available. Or are you saying not all lanes were open?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010

It was the same situation going east on The Coral Autopista..but much more than 4 or 5 cars backed up in the paso rapido lanes. But on the other side the huge trucks were going through the Paso Rapido lane at huge speeds ,more than 70 kils per hour. I hope that it is sorted out soon.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I can't grasp why a Paso Rapido user would get into a line when there are other lanes available. Or are you saying not all lanes were open?
No, I was just saying the sign stating which lanes were paso rapido only wasn't accurate. I also think there were confused drivers and possibly software contributing to the backup in the paso rapido lanes.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I've been in an uber who took it once. I'm not sure I could find it again.
Going towards the airport toll booth a few KM before is a tunnel on your right that takes you close to the Nagua road on the other side of the Hwy. You take that and go right on the service road towards the toll. This will take you past the toll. But it is a bit of a hassle to get back on track, but it passes the toll....................

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Going towards the airport toll booth a few KM before is a tunnel on your right that takes you close to the Nagua road on the other side of the Hwy. You take that and go right on the service road towards the toll. This will take you past the toll. But it is a bit of a hassle to get back on track, but it passes the toll....................
I gotta ask, why would anyone want to detour around the toll booth? That's kinda like shooting yourself in the toe to spite your foot.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Or idiots in the wrong lane

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I gotta ask, why would anyone want to detour around the toll booth? That's kinda like shooting yourself in the toe to spite your foot.
I can assure I never did, but I know the way because there is a road off of there to the Air Force Base.............

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Cheapie Cheapie - Dominicans are always trying to drive around something.
We have an expression in English.
'Cut off your nose to spite your face'

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Or idiots in the wrong lane
I would estimate that at least 60% of the time I approach an exclusive Paso Rapido lane, there is a person who isn't aware of how it works.

Worse, they want the attendant to come from another lane to take their money.

In the past there has been times I have backed up and moved to another lane and got through faster than the idiot in the exclusive lane.

(In case folks don't know, every lane has a Paso Rapido reader)

Another reason why they've opened up more exclusive lanes.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I would estimate that at least 60% of the time I approach an exclusive Paso Rapido lane, there is a person who isn't aware of how it works.

Worse, they want the attendant to come from another lane to take their money.

In the past there has been times I have backed up and moved to another lane and got through faster than the idiot in the exclusive lane.

(In case folks don't know, every lane has a Paso Rapido reader)

Another reason why they've opened up more exclusive lanes.
Seems they all want to be given some exclusive treatment.
Because a guy driving a '98 Camry with bald tires no back bumper and broken taillights must be needed somewhere urgently !

• Haha

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Seems they all want to be given some exclusive treatment.
Because a guy driving a '98 Camry with bald tires no back bumper and broken taillights must be needed somewhere urgently !

Actually, no economic rhyme nor reason to the folks who do it. Junkers to new vehicles.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Actually, no economic rhyme nor reason to the folks who do it. Junkers to new vehicles.
There's a guy in and around Sosus/Cabarete in a near new black AMG GLE 63, which must be close to $250 K in DR who drives on the shoulder, passes traffic stopped at lights in the oncoming lane, runs red lights, etc.

You will notice him sooner or later and his erratic behavior if you drive around here.

Stunning vehicle - idiot owner. Wonder if he will like the dents he'll get soon?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to this article in the Listín Diario, 40% of all users of the Las Américas Highway Toll have Paso Rápido. Quite an increase in such a short time.

IMG_9722.jpeg