Material Cost

SteveK

Jan 23, 2011
Hi Everyone,
We're hoping (Fingers Crossed) to build a home, 2 bedroom, land already purchased, nothing exorbitant and found out material cost have skyrocketed. We were looking to spend 70k USD but now we might have to reevaluate our budget.

Any suggestions is Greatly Appreciated👍

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I hope you know the basics about construction calculation. The Building is only about 30-35% of the total Budget.
The real costs start afterward; plumbing, elecricity, windows, doors, ceramics etc etc etc etc......and a hundred more etc......
70k want get you very far.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Hi Everyone,
We're hoping (Fingers Crossed) to build a home, 2 bedroom, land already purchased, nothing exorbitant and found out material cost have skyrocketed. We were looking to spend 70k USD but now we might have to reevaluate our budget.

Your Going to have to double it..

Reactions: Manuel01

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I forgot to mention.... double check the title of the land.
Wouldn't be the first that finishes construction and a week later a "tio" showes up that also owes the land.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Blocks can be expensive as well. Try to find a small local independent block producer and negotiate a price.

Reactions: DRforme

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Depends on what quality you want and how honest a builder you find. https://selectcaribbean.com/construction-costs-dominican-republic/ I think if you estimate between 800-1000 dollars US per sq meter you will be close. There can be a tremendous difference in price for tiles, bathroom fixtures, toilets, windows, cabinets...etc.
This is not correct anymore. There was a time, before Covid when prices were this low but now prices are so much higher. Back in September Listin Diario published the following which I sent to several people. I will attached a file, hopefully it will upload. These are for construction prices on basic materials. All other finishing materials have gone up about 50% especially as many items are imported. Believe me, prices are way higher than people tend to think here and reality is that it is closer to U$1500 per m2. The following are FACTS:

I saw an interesting article in the Listin Diario newspaper. It shows that the majority of construction materials have decreased slightly, 2.12%, from August 2022 to September 2022 but still way higher than what the prices were in April 2020, pre-pandemic with prices from between 36.27% to 72.96% higher.

Just for the benefit of those that don't speak Spanish so well the items are (in order as per the chart):

Wood
PVC tubes
Steel/Rebar
Electric materials
Paint
Tile covering (ceramic/porcelain)
Cement
Aggregates (sand/gravel)
Windows

The second column shows the raise in prices from April 2020 to July 2022
The third column shows the fluctuation in cost from August 2022 to September 2022
The fourth column show the current percentage of price increases from April 2020 to September 2022
Many other factors have affected the construction sector including the raise of minimum wages that went up 21% this year, the increase of interest rates from an average of 7.83% to 10.62% so constructors taking out loans for materials had to pay almost an extra 3%. Businesses that receive funds in US dollars but purchase materials in pesos have also suffered from the exchange rate as the years started off at over 58 pesos to the U$ and is now 53.5 pesos to the U$.

Attachments

• Listín Diario 15-11-2022 construction.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
Reactions: Buck

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Have uploaded a JPEG in case you can't open the PDF file

Attachments

• Listin Diario construction.jpg
    Listin Diario construction.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 125

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
1500$ per m2 !!!!!??....... You guys have turned me into a millionaire overnight.
Thanks . 🤣🤣🤣🤣

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
1500$ per m2 !!!!!??....... You guys have turned me into a millionaire overnight.
Thanks . 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Standard construction cost price would be about U$700-U$900 for basic quality, medium quality U$900 -U$1100 and high end U$1100 to U$1500 per m2. Prices continue to go up in the DR on many items, especially imported higher ends materials such as tiles, quartz countertops, fittings and fixtures and much more. All these items help to push up the finishing cost price.

Reactions: JD Jones

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Standard construction cost price would be about U$700-U$900 for basic quality, medium quality U$900 -U$1100 and high end U$1100 to U$1500 per m2. Prices continue to go up in the DR on many items, especially imported higher ends materials such as tiles, quartz countertops, fittings and fixtures and much more. All these items help to push up the finishing cost price.

It could well be, I have no idea. Not many high end stuff around though, its often advertised as such but ends up being mehhhhh.

Very recently somebody I know was getting an add on to a house--- house that would be considered nice ( " high end"?), by DR standards. Nothing major, mind you.
That person agreed on 400k pesos or so, keys in hand, ie labour + materials.

It came up in a conversation, and I nearly spit out my coffee😄😄.
This person, a dominican abroad, asked us if we could take a look, if we ever happened to be in POP one day.
Long story short, but the contractor kind of blew us off, that there was 200k+ only for materials, blablabla...... and look, we are waiting on all this to be delivered from the ferrateria today or tomorrow. A bunch of stuff, cement, gravas, arena, rebar, tiles, grout, etc, etc.. for a total of 180k on the bill.
We got hold of the bill through the owner of the house, cos of course he was the one who paid it,
We then wrote everything down on paper and sent a primo of ours to the exact same ferrateria with the exact same list...... total : just over 100k pesos. 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

The rest of the story was told to me sometime after ( I left, after telling our friend he was getting robbed blind ).
They refused the delivery and confronted the ferrateria. They said it happens, shrug. lol.
Anyhow, he sure dodged a bullet.

Moral of the story : no way in hell I would pay a fixed price per m2 in the DR. You just know you will be gouged, imho.

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully I can help you out as to what the real pricing is. My wife and I just built a very nice 2 bedroom 1 bath home with an open concept kitchen, living room combination around 7 months ago for around 35,000 USD. This was for a complete move in home you will need to add the purchase of appliances, furniture, bedding, etc… Now in order to keep the cost down as much as possible we purchased all the materials ourselves blocks, tiles, lighting, etc… Finding reputable workers at a good price will be the most frustrating part of your build. Ask me how I know. You did not mention the location of your build that will also determine how far your money will go.

Now we are currently building another home which has been under construction for around 6 weeks. But this time we went with a very reputable custom home builder. Hopefully completed by May/June.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hi Everyone,

70K for a two bedroom?
I've been told it now cost between 50K-60K to construct a one bedroom apartment.

SteveK

Jan 23, 2011
This is not correct anymore. There was a time, before Covid when prices were this low but now prices are so much higher. Back in September Listin Diario published the following which I sent to several people. I will attached a file, hopefully it will upload. These are for construction prices on basic materials. All other finishing materials have gone up about 50% especially as many items are imported. Believe me, prices are way higher than people tend to think here and reality is that it is closer to U$1500 per m2. The following are FACTS:

I saw an interesting article in the Listin Diario newspaper. It shows that the majority of construction materials have decreased slightly, 2.12%, from August 2022 to September 2022 but still way higher than what the prices were in April 2020, pre-pandemic with prices from between 36.27% to 72.96% higher.

Just for the benefit of those that don't speak Spanish so well the items are (in order as per the chart):

Wood
PVC tubes
Steel/Rebar
Electric materials
Paint
Tile covering (ceramic/porcelain)
Cement
Aggregates (sand/gravel)
Windows

The second column shows the raise in prices from April 2020 to July 2022
The third column shows the fluctuation in cost from August 2022 to September 2022
The fourth column show the current percentage of price increases from April 2020 to September 2022
Many other factors have affected the construction sector including the raise of minimum wages that went up 21% this year, the increase of interest rates from an average of 7.83% to 10.62% so constructors taking out loans for materials had to pay almost an extra 3%. Businesses that receive funds in US dollars but purchase materials in pesos have also suffered from the exchange rate as the years started off at over 58 pesos to the U$ and is now 53.5 pesos to the U$.
Very Good Info
Thank You so Much for the Analysis!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A mountain of informaton has been written about "tiny homes" in the past few years. These home are beyound creative. I have studied then many times in my business but never seemed to find a fit because of land value/tiny home value or for reasons of city code. But yer in the DR.Anything goes. Might be worth a look.

Reactions: JD Jones

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
One person’s two bedroom home can be much much different than another person’s two bedroom home. Can you turn around in the bathroom or is it tiny? Do you have granite countertops or painted concrete slabs with a two burner gas cook stove on top? Do you have hurricane windows or cheapy single pane windows that don’t slide and get jammed in the track? Tin roof or concrete? Are the walls smooth or do they have more waves than the ocean? Are they reinforcing the corners and around windows and doors with concrete and rebar or will your house fall like a house of cards in the next earthquake? (Google “Turkey quake”)

Reactions: cavok and DRforme

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
One person’s two bedroom home can be much much different than another person’s two bedroom home. Can you turn around in the bathroom or is it tiny? Do you have granite countertops or painted concrete slabs with a two burner gas cook stove on top? Do you have hurricane windows or cheapy single pane windows that don’t slide and get jammed in the track? Tin roof or concrete? Are the walls smooth or do they have more waves than the ocean? Are they reinforcing the corners and around windows and doors with concrete and rebar or will your house fall like a house of cards in the next earthquake? (Google “Turkey quake”)
Very good analogy…

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Excellent point. Now, one person's budget for a two bedroom house with en suite bath and ceramic tops is different at 150,000 than another person tiny house where you need a pocket door built into the wall. Right? OP was all about money. That is what I tried to address. Working with 70 grand doesn't give many options or a McMasion.,

Reactions: reilleyp

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Depends on what quality you want and how honest a builder you find. https://selectcaribbean.com/construction-costs-dominican-republic/ I think if you estimate between 800-1000 dollars US per sq meter you will be close. There can be a tremendous difference in price for tiles, bathroom fixtures, toilets, windows, cabinets...etc.
Everything is through roof now, no pun intended:) my friends are having skilled labour shortages higher pay demands.. so Much higher then a couple yrs ago all bitching builders…

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Everything is through roof now, no pun intended:) my friends are having skilled labour shortages higher pay demands.. so Much higher then a couple yrs ago all bitching builders…
Just paid an electrician 47,000 pesos to partially rewire my MIL 's house. One day's work.